Author Topic: Severe storms and chasing 14th and 15th January 2006  (Read 7192 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Severe storms and chasing 14th and 15th January 2006
« on: 16 January 2006, 05:44:54 PM »
Hi,

Another awesome couple of days chasing - got behind the stuff near the Putty area on Saturday - excellent timelapse.

Today, Sunday, another hailstorm near and in Forbes as the storm organised - hail diameter at least 3cm observed but not measured. The green tinge was very distinct for at least an hour on the storm. Some of the rainfall rates were like a waterfall on the windscreen almost rendering the windscreen wipers useless! I'll post pics later during a quiet period.

The lightning rates were also incredible both in the core and ahead of the storm - multiple bolts!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 16 January 2006, 06:19:16 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Matthew Piper

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Multi-vortex F1
Re: Severe storms and chasing 14th and 15th January 2006
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2006, 03:17:08 AM »
I headed out yesterday afternoon and also encountered some very green tinged storms around Blayney :) The lightning bolts as Jimmy has mentioned were sometimes in multiples. They were also extremely bright white and pulsing indicating they were very powerful. I didnt encounter any hail myself as the storms quickly became outflow dominant, however the rain rates were very high and there was plenty of water running across the road. Later in the afternoon I sat on top of Mt Panorama to watch the storms slowly approach from the south, however the outflow had raced quickly ahead of them and they were transitioning into just a thundery rain band. This rain band lasted for quite some hours producing the occasionnal lightning bolt.
Matthew Piper

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2006, 03:44:22 AM »
Hi Matt,

It was great meeting up at Orange and thanks for waiting around! One of the traits of storm chasing is to meet up and enjoy the moments of that day.

storms quickly became outflow dominant,

I guess I found this one out on my first ever chase near Forbes and that is that outflow dominant storms tend to push outflow so far on flat country that the gust front moves well ahead of the storm often creating new cells. This was typically the case yesterday. However, don't think that the storm really had to have weakened immediately after - well it takes some time particularly when you achieve high CAPE environments. I do believe that the main core further back would have had some intensity - perhaps shifting in some ways. But perhaps we could at least analyse the radar for all 3 main storms in the region and see if they did follow this trate. I am purely basing the intensity on lightning behaviour and given the wind shear was moderate with good instability. Storms were not necessarily going to be long lived but they had the abaility based on past experience of similar storms in the past to remain hidden with a lack of structure.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 17 January 2006, 03:46:02 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Matthew Piper

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2006, 04:42:53 AM »
No worries Jimmy :) It is always good to catch up on the days storm chasing after a chase.

Here are a couple of the best photos from yesterdays storm near Blayney and Bathurst. Unfortunately I couldnt get into position to take photos when the storms were at their greenest.

Matthew Piper

Offline Matthew Piper

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2006, 04:49:48 AM »
Here is the dying phase of a lightning bolt which I just managed to capture on my camera.
Matthew Piper

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2006, 06:22:54 AM »
Hi Matt,

Yes interesting lightning because I know I was in the middle of a few lightning strikes and none came out bright! They must have strobed rapidly! Video will get them though:)

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com