Author Topic: Offshore Sydney Cell & Waterspout Tues 17th Apr 2007  (Read 5369 times)

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
Offshore Sydney Cell & Waterspout Tues 17th Apr 2007
« on: 18 April 2007, 05:49:57 PM »
Hi Guys,

Work took me to northern beaches prior to lunch today.  On the drive out there I could see the
reasonable looking Cb's.  But it wasnt till I approached the coast that I could see a nice looking
cell offshore.  Finding a good headland I spent 30 mins (1030 - 1100hrs EST)  taking some pix
( and praying for a waterspout) :) 
   As can be seen from the 2 pic's below some pretty heavy rain falling within the cell.
The cell had a clockwise motion,   i.e.  in the pics  the cloud base was moving from right to left
of the frame.   The cell was moving in a NW direction and crossed the coast around the Palm Beach
area and headed inland, dissapating rapidly.  Didn't see any lightning from this cell.
There was 5 minutes between these 2 pix.

cheers
Dave N

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
RE: Offshore Sydney Cell & Waterspout Tues 17th Apr 2007
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2007, 05:36:28 AM »
These have just been put up on smh.com.au and were sent from Wollongong , yesterday. the second shows the waterspout well formed
 I also shot some cells moving through sydney yesterday afternoon ,
At this stage i dont know who shot them but will find out and credit them.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2007, 07:26:52 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline dann weatherhead

• Multi-vortex F1
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
Re: Offshore Sydney Cell & Waterspout Tues 17th Apr 2007
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2007, 03:08:38 AM »
Great pics there Nick!  We also had a couple sent through to us. Plenty of people snapping away which is good!

http://www.sydneystormchasers.com/node/2511

Offline Ben

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
Great pics there of the waterspout off Wollongong and the shower approaching the N Beaches. I unfortunately was at Dads (N Shore, instead of N beaches at Mums) during this event, so didn't have the opportunity to see any waterspouts. Also missed the storms that passed through the beaches Sunday evening, which dropped 60mm at Narrabeen. There was a lightning display to the east but I missed most of it due to family commitments, but managed to pop up to the local lookout and snap a lightning shot before the storm died rapidly.

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2007, 08:32:07 AM »
Beautiful tornado there guys and lightning shot too Ben. I lived at Beacon Hill for 7 years, with a view right over Long Reef, waiting to see something like that....never happened.  I assume these waterspouts were forming with the initial updrafts and dissipating as the storm matured as per Dave's photos above?
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com