Author Topic: Derecho wind events.  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Derecho wind events.
« on: 07 February 2007, 12:22:17 PM »
Here's something a little different to discuss!

What is a Derecho wind associated with storms?  Are they associated with what kind of storm and in particular supercells or even hurricanes?  Is it a massive dry downburst of air in one localised area in front of the storm?  Has any forum members experienced a Derecho?

I have not read much on Derecho's although I have a photo and seen some footage - but what is it?  Have these events happened in Australia that anyone knows or experienced?  I understand they can be just as destructive as if a tornado had come through.....

Thanks guys.

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
Re: Derecho wind events.
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2007, 12:58:52 PM »
Thought i'd jig the line a bit re my topic as it's being laying idle!

Have any of the forum chasers seen a Derecho wind event in Australia?

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2007, 03:59:47 AM »
Howdy Mike -- 'Derecho', at least in the US, generally refers to an intense, large scale thunderstorm outflow. Being large scale, they are normally associated with an MCS or MCC.

Perhaps we are not on top of our spanish to the same extent as the average american -- cant say I have ever seen the term used in Australia by the BoM, chasers, etc -- however there's no reason why we would not experience these events from time to time.

Jimmy and I chased a legendary derecho in Oklahoma back in May 2001. Must say it had the most incredible shelf cloud strcuture,  CG lightning and sustained winds that I've ever seen. It began as a few HP supercells in sw Kansas and ended with Jimmy and I cowering under an underpass just outside of Lawton where, we witnessed some incredible flashes as powerlines were felled.

Our account is here, and if you google "May 27 2001 derecho" you'll probably find a whole lot more info including the NWS summary.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2007, 05:02:19 AM »
Good one David.  The report from that event is pretty long so I'll have to view over lunchtime while at work!  Certainly the photos Ive seen of such events are very interesting - you'd swear the wind was from a tornado!

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com