Author Topic: Tornado Warning for Queensland - your thoughts?  (Read 36966 times)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Re: Tornado Warning for Queensland - your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: 25 March 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
This has been a truly great read guys. Nice to see that we feel the same way in regards to this subject that we are all pretty passionate about.

As for that photo of the "tornado producing" storm, I totally agree that there aren't really any visual signs of it being supercellular, other than it looking large? Certainly no signs of a single powerful updraft or a decent shearing anvil? There are the obvious exceptions but obs. (when accessible) will usually give a decent indication as we all pretty well know. How I wish for a decent doppler install sometime in the near future also. Some of the supercells that have been sighted of late would no doubt have spectacular radar/doppler imagery to study, not to mention the aid of soon debunking any non supercellular storms such as the current one here which may gain the limelight for a particular reason.

I guess we can easily get caught up in the moment from time to time but sharing the resulting pictures/video of anything suspicious and asking a LOT of questions will soon get to the bottom of it and the answers that are needed :D

Kindest regards and take care,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Peter fergusson

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #31 on: 29 August 2009, 11:10:10 AM »
I don't agree entirely with this last report.I have seen many or cloce to many tornadoes pictures on the commp,and they are NOT repeat not rare events in any form of the word,however there have been many here in SE queenland and Northern rivers.I believe the weather derives also from the jetsream which is not given much tallk on,if the jet stream is overhead,you can be sure WE are in for severe weather of all kinds,AND faverable for TORNADOES also RE peter fergusson.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #32 on: 29 August 2009, 11:33:20 AM »
Peter,

The origin of this topic from memory cetred around a report of a funnel cloud/tornado which may have been a false report. It is not about a history of violent storms in SE Qld and NE NSW that could indicate potential tornadic events. Yes I agree there is a jet in the mid-latitudes and I believe SE Qld and NE NSW is on the wrong side of the jet and tends to favour high precipitation supercell events. Yes violent storms and if you are lucky hidden tornadoes. But history has it that most tornadoes form in favourable environments with classic supercells and often in the presence of well aligned boundaries. Just because you have violent supercells and with powerful outflow winds and incredible structures does not constitute potential tornadic events.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Peter fergusson

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #33 on: 29 August 2009, 01:48:42 PM »
Thanks for the info Jimmmy.thought this page was just a one off,due to what i read the first time,and then to my surprise you could imagine that,when i noticed my post,then thought opps what have i done or said ha ha.Do appreciate any comment made,respect them for that,up here on the Sunshine Coast,can get some weird weather here in storm season,good photography which is what like too.