Author Topic: Tornado Warning for Queensland - your thoughts?  (Read 37024 times)

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
Re: Tornado Warning for Queensland - your thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2007, 11:24:10 AM »
I saw this 20cm report too on wz , more chinese whispers i suspect , can you imagine the damage of 20cm hail on anything? dead cows etc and the hail would probably last to the next day , chasers would have shots of at least 10cm hail surely ,,

sorry to interrupt ,

go for it dave
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2007, 11:49:43 AM »
Hi Jimmy,

The validity of a tornado warning comes down to the reasoning behind it being issued and to some extent whether it was verified, especially since this was based on a spotter report only. Remember tornado warnings are issued for 'landspouts' in the USA, so it is a separate issue to the storm being a supercells.

Regarding supercell:
I have no idea on what grounds these Queenslanders claim this storm to be such an obvious example of a supercell -- but it's not the first time and it wont be the last! Yes the storm tracked north but you will note other storms develop in this manner near Clifton at 8:30UTC and again near Glenelg following a storm split at 8:50UTC.

Looking at the radar loop the storm looks 'most' interesting from 6:30 through to 7:00UTC, although the visually unimpressive structure was apparently around this time too, ie according to the photo.  Well the echo seems rather discrete but that is only a 40 minute timeframe. There really is nothing to suggest that the storm is a supercell and this is only strengthened when you look at the  photograph at the time. That is all we have to go on!  Later on when the supposed 'meso' occurred (see photos) near Esk, the storm is a mess on radar and is clearly multicellular.

So, no I dont think the storm was a supercell based on available evidence and hence any 'tornado' was almost certainly not spawned by a mesocyclone.

Tornado:
One cannot rule out a 'landspout' and i would not be surprised at all if this is what was seen by the local spotter. Quite often when you have some boundary lurking favourably in the vicinity of updrafts/storms you will see landspouts in numbers (most recently in Orange a year or so back). Dalby is some distance way from Laidley (and looking at that storm might weel have been straightline winds) but this must be considered. I also found it funny how some of the storms developed in little arcs tracking NE, N and then NW over a few frames. There may have been something interesting going on, but we'll have to await the BoM analysis (if it is to exist) and also hope that a photo will come out of the woodwork.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2007, 05:18:49 PM »
Just reading the replies to this interesting event.  I was just wondering that even though the spotter reported 'seeing' a tornado, my query is this; with all the technical data and instruments etc that the BoM have at their disposal wouldn't the radar and sat pics indicate to them of such a pending storm?

It seems from the postings that BoM was a little hasty in their issuing of a possible tornado?  Surely they just wouldn't post a warning like that if they weren't sure of its severity?  Or is it that there 'was a possibility' and they posted the warning anyway - which would seem okay by me as if i was a member of the public and there was the chance of something very severe, i would like to know about it beforehand.

I think it far better for the BoM to cover their butts - not for insurance reasons and not a knee jerk reaction to a spotters sighting (albeit true perhaps)  - but for a public responsibility to do so.    The bureau uses information that spotters give them as well as their own information, they're the experts aren't they? 

If they got it 'wrong' well then many would be relieved - especially those people living in the affected area.  It's a two sided argument - better to err on the side of caution than have the storm pound some poor area and everone up in arms and sue the BoM for negligence for not issuing a warning of any sort at all!

I can't comment on it too much due to lack of experience of such storms, but it just seemed to me odd that the BoM would issue this type of warning without some facts to back it up?

Mike :\

Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2007, 11:07:24 AM »
Hi Mike,

I concur to your that the Bureau had to act on the information and provide a warning. There are at least two factors to consider here: public liability and repsonsibility as compared to public confidence. The outcome thus far is that we, and I assume the rest of the public, did not see evidence of the tornado. So what has been done to public confidence? the warning was too general given we rarely get to observe tornadoes, forget about knowing the various types that could occur.

For instance, in a warning in the US a couple of years ago, the warning was put out for tornadoes. As the information unfolded, the warnings provided further desciptions about the short lived nature and the fact they were weaker as well as not necessarily occurring as normally anticipated with supercells. The warnings were eventually removed.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2007, 11:14:56 AM »
Hi David,

Definitely one cannot rule out a landspout but my belief is that although there was a boundary in this case, it seemed that the boundary was not so tight. Also, I would have thought that landspouts tend to favour steep lapse rates - not sure what the case was here. I also think that boundaries become important in producing multiple instances of landspouts as you and I observed here:

For more check here 7 landspouts and 3 mesocyclonic tornadoes:
http://www.australiasevereweather.com/video/stills/2004/20040524.html

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #20 on: 04 February 2007, 03:05:04 PM »
Hi guys,

I quote Andrew MacDonald who wrote this on StormTrack

I've just been shown a picture taken from about 3km (2mi) from where one of the tornadoes was supposedly reported (Laidley) and unfortunately, I think the spotter may need to attend some training. The photo shows what looks like a very outflow dominated storm with an area of lower scud. The person who was photographing is a chaser and was in a reasonable position to see a tornado IF there was one there (which it appears there was not). Perhaps the spotter saw a gustnado although the reports of a funnel cloud would suggest otherwise? Anyway - I think we can write this one off as a false report.

On another note, the damage in the area was apparently not serious (a friend of mine asked if we could add a -1 (minus 1) to the Fujita scale that the damage was so slight).

Say no more! Just another example of wishful thinking. Chasers or spotters that are hoping they were the ones to see the illusive tornadoes given our sparse population density!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2007, 08:19:30 AM »
Can you follow up with Macca as to where this photo is located so we can all have a look ?

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2007, 09:04:19 AM »
Hi Michael,

You may have more luck tracking this down as I would say this person may be guarding it given the anticipated conversy that followed. David suggested that it may have been a chaser who made the report and would curl up afterwards.

Oh well, it is documented to have at the end of the all of the type of warnings that if a tornado is sighted, that a tornado warning will be issued - well this was in the days when I attended my last spotter training session which was quite a few years ago. Hell, I have been a storm spotter since February 1989!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #23 on: 08 February 2007, 01:44:41 AM »
Storm Track thread
http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10801

I have spoken to Macca about this and the photo in question is by Chrissy. I have the whole sequence of photos by Chrissy that she emailed, and at the time I thought scudy hailstorm look. She has not claimed any sighting of a tornado.

Some comments sent to me by Macca: "The only thing in the image I sent you that *could* be something is there is a lowering in behind a rain curtain.  There is a very small chance this could be a rain-wrapped wall cloud which could've been where the tornado was and that would've prevented Chrissy et al. from seeing it.  But as you mentioned, conditions were not favourable for tornadoes really so I have doubts about the above. "

The pic Macca saw had been enhanced to make it look meaner:

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2009, 01:10:32 PM »

I feel it is time for BOM to start to take responsibility. We are constantly bombarded with many people in the public thinking  "we don't get tornadoes in Australia", TV reports are "it was like a Mini Tornado", etc etc. Never admitting it was a tornado, even when someone has captured the funnel and a touch down on video and it is played on the news only to disappear from further viewing. I strongly feel the problem lies with the fact that they will have to admit they needed to take the responsibility for the lack of education and communication between the public and the authorities involved as to the severity and intensity of the storms and the fact that we are frequently hit with tornadoes.

There is the issue of our building code and standards as regard to homes and buildings to withstand these storms, and more importantly the fact that our homes are not constructed with storm shelters. I am a builder, and the relevant costs to bomb or storm proof your laundry area (enough room for a family) is minimal  in comparison with the other changes taking place with our energy efficient/ sustainable housing programme. Interesting though after the Nov 16th storm, The CYCLONE TESTING STATION School of Engineering, James Cook University, Townsville  did an Investigation of performance of housing, in Brisbane, following the storms of 16 and 19 November 2008. There is rumoured that changes have to, and will take place.

(I found it amazing that approx. 1990 our cyclonic wind rating was changed from North of King ST. Caboolture QLd to around the Rockhampton QLD area.
Someone has the power to tell a cyclone it is no longer allowed to pass Rockhampton. Therefore this led to our tie down method being downgraded. What a mistake.)

Then you have the argument that it was not a tornado but a Micro burst, It was amazing that no one lost there lives in that storm of Nov 16th 2008. Honestly sit down and look at the many hundreds of pictures and see how many houses were severely or completely destroyed by a micro burst.

Whether it be a Microburst or tornado is relevant, when in fact, either has the potential to take many lives. A warning system needs to be put in place, maybe even a siren system similiar to USA. Most people take the storms here in Brisbane so casually, thinking nothing will happen to me. Then they are horrified after it hit, and how lucky they were to survive.

An education on the part of BOM and the public has to start, there has to be an education that there will be false alarms, an education that mistake will be made, an education that storms are unpredictable but take the precautions necessary and an education of what people need to do to protect themselves where ever they may be at the time of the storm.

Storms are gaining strength, but an attitude of "she will be right mate" may just costs many lives.

It is a serious Question and important one. Someone has to start the ball rolling. I am trying my bit, but with the information and pictures people associated with this forum have, and their knowledge of storms, could it start here, whether it is a microburst, a tornado or severe weather pattern etc.

Saving lives is important. Our climate is changing or shifting, who really knows what we are in for. The movie "The day after tomorrow" , 2 disc version has some very important documentaries to the movie, intersting viewing.

Cheers.

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2009, 07:54:12 AM »
All I've read thus far on this subject certainly makes sense to me and regrettably we have many, many people out there who don't take the technical or scientific attitude to chasing to gather information so that we, as chasers, can relay the information back to BoM so they can correlate all this info. 

Do BoM simply take it as a given that when they receive a report of something severe or tornadic from someone 'out taking photos and claiming to be a storm chaser' thus giving them very bad information that leads to knee-jerk advisories?  The liability subject has been covered and BoM has that responsibility naturally for all our safety in mind, but what really angers me are those that repeatedly call up BoM during their 'localized chase' and having no experience / knowledge of storm structure during its lifecycle and blurting to all and sundry that storms are this or that when in fact they are not.  Indeed, with supercells - there's no way I would attempt to report anything supercellular here or interstate because I just have not seen them regularly enough to determine what makes a supercell!  People up here always report severe storms as 'rotating and appearing supercellular in structure' and that's just a blatant, outright lie!

I agree with Nick that perhaps there should be some type of educational tool available that gets to the 'essence' of what is deemed tornadic with supercells here in this country.  But whilst there are those of us that take chasing seriously (whilst enjoying the ride) and gathering data for feedback to BoM and actually taking photos of the severe indices of a thunderstorm, the number of rednecks screaming around claiming to be chasers may impact on who BoM takes seriously!  Just because a person is a BoM storm spotter says nothing about their experience - perhaps they should give an online test to anyone wishing to become a serious spotter so it eliminates or weeds out the radar chasers, at least that way they would have a pool of names which they can confidently rely on as giving correct information and adjust their advisories accordingly.

We see it all the time on other forums - continually giving misinterpretations and bad observations to BoM and others and this has a domino effect though the ranks and makes it extremely difficult for seasoned, experienced chasers to argue their point across. The numbers are against us but all we can do is try and formulate something with the bureau to co-join forces when relying on accurate observations whilst out in the field - how do we do this - well, meeting with BoM senior forecasters for a start i suspect and brain storming issues?

With all these storm chasing docos on the television it's no wonder there's so many out there destroying all the previous good work that serious chasers have accomplished and we're continually having to argue and correct misinformation to others because 'they heard this and that and well, I 'chased' a storm and it showed blah, blah, blah'

I shake my head in frustration continually - it's an epidemic I see every day up here also.

On BoM's time management for damage assessment issues:  I agree that they should take the time to go out to these reported sighting locations and check for themselves to confirm that phoned in report of a tornado. It's no use waiting weeks later when it's all been cleaned up because you need the 'signature' from the tornado or microburst - it's forensics people!  And I pooh, pooh those that claim to be chasers yet don't provide any photographic or video evidence so that at least it can be dissected by BoM for analysis - we can't always get to the exact location, but we certainly can take multiple shots to at least show progression of a severe storm.  Don't BoM view images people send them (from credible chasers) and then assess the obs and soundings to determine what went on?

Even with my tornado here - BoM have not even bothered to send out an observer or part time officer to check the area.  If I had a GPS I would at least get the coordinates from the radar loop of that storm in Humpty Doo and trudge through the bush with it until I found the area - at least I'd find any damage or nothing to confirm what I photographed and reported!!!  I can see the checklist of severe storms in this year's spotters newsletter...'Tornado sighted Humpty Doo'  and that would be it.

I think I'll go out and borrow a GPS, at least I'll get something before it all gets burnt away from fires or another gusty storm which would obliterate my tornado signature....

A bit long winded but I hope my thoughts are agreed to in some way.  Cheers all.
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2009, 01:22:07 PM »
Hi Coltan and Mike,

I read your sentiments and feel the anguish as well. Many years ago, I had the same concept in my mind to try ensuring that I can make the difference to policy so to speak. However, my energies now are more to educate the public using this forum rather than trying to make a difference in policy through this forum. I will support the former - not the latter.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 13 January 2009, 03:22:34 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2009, 07:09:53 PM »
I agree fully Jimmy.  You get to a point where the bricks don't break against one's head anymore, so it's time to about face and go pro-active.  I've already found that educating through a forum works, I think that was on the day I myself became a member.

But it still has to be voiced to the latter because credibility through a forum with commonsense discussion also has it's merits to those that may have some influence with the powers that be.  You may not get what you ask for, but forums get noticed that contain intelligent input.
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #28 on: 14 January 2009, 02:41:15 AM »
Mike,

I am speaking from experience in the past in regards trying to get messages across about severe warnings and tornado warnings with the authorities and mini-tornado debate with the media as a foregone conclusion. It lingers on and on. What I am saying is that I now find it a rather boring and overused topic and I personally don't want it on this forum. Reasons, well until you get multiple casualties, you will not get action. The same debate occurred apparently in the 1960's when a string of tornadoes caused hundreds of casualties. That is what got the US into action. There was a 'need' to spend millions or billions of dollars on upgrading a warning network. I guess expanding cities and the reality threat that exists there far supercedes what exists here. Why is it that we are so 'lucky' to have very few casualties here? I am pretty sure that the authorities will react to the needs due to media and 'major' public pressure.

Furthermore, we do not even have the right to issue 'advice' on what to do in regards to storm safety. We can link to authorities and let them deal with it. There are legal implications when trying to go beyond this point.

I agree that forums are being read by the authorities. And we already have had silent influence. No longer can professional meteorologists stand alone as authorities in forecasting - this has now been matched by some professional amateurs in storm chasing and the results prove it.  This is despite the fact that storm chaisng is not condoned by the Commonwealth authorities! One example of a 'breakthrough' so to speak is the discovery and documentation of the Low Precipitation Supercell in Australia. I challenge any authority to come forward and produce a document about the LP supercell. Suffice to say - let the evidence to the talking.

Education is another matter. Just report the storms accurately and report specific events as we see them with evidence - be it photographic and video or simply descriptive. Let the authorities take care of their job. We want this forum to remain an educational tool in the public eye - this is why I want the forum to concentrate on the former not the latter. If people read and get educated about severe storms, they may take precautions next time they see a storm. When Michael Bath and I as well as others for that matter appear in the media, we try to be very careful as to what we say for the same reason.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #29 on: 14 January 2009, 03:02:26 AM »
I will learn from this forum and support you in the venture to educate the public. A picture paints a thousand words.

I understand, I have the same situation within the building industry, even though you have support, you cannot rock the boat with the higher sources. You are banging your head against a brick wall.

People are gobsmacked when you present the facts of severe weather in QLD alone. I point them to different sites and material to search for themselves, they come back astounded.

So you are right, maybe this can and will flow through, and people can make an educated decision on there own.

I will take your approach. A point well taken.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: 14 January 2009, 03:14:27 AM by coltan »