Author Topic: Katabatic winds - Northern Tablelands, NSW?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Rhett Blanch

• Rope Tornado F0
Katabatic winds - Northern Tablelands, NSW?
« on: 15 January 2007, 09:18:55 AM »
Well its been quite a summer of me being where the storms ain't.

I did spend more than a week at Mum and Dad's place in Tamworth and did notice something that did interest me meteorologically.  In fact I'm surprised I haven't noticed it before, I guess familiarity breeds contempt in some way, but each night just after dark following a warm relatively still day the winds would turn around to the North-East and gusty breeze would blow up.  Its much the same feeling as the sea breeze that you get in Sydney during summer which can can make a warm night pleasant.  Of course Tamworth is well away from the coast so it would seem that the source of this breeze would have to be from air coming down off the Northern Tablelands. I'm not sure if this is a correct assumption and if so you could call this a Katabatic wind?

I've tried to see if this turns up in the observations at the Tamworth AWS.  Unfortunately its at Tamworth Airport about half way across the Peel Valley, while the actual town is on the eastern side of the valley, so it seems that the wind has attenuated by the time it reaches there.

Cheers
Rhett