Author Topic: NSW Storms: 23 - 26 Feb 2009 - including the Warragamba Classic Supercell  (Read 26127 times)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
BoM have just issed a severe thunderstorm warning for a large part of central NSW including Canberra and the Blue Mountains. Plenty of lightning on tracker over the past hour.

Next few days should see some more thunderstorms over NSW in particular.
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline scottme

• Multi-vortex F1

Looks like the conditions today surprised the BOM a little.

The cell over Warragamba looks interesting (3pm). Left mover with possible early supercell appearence ("<" shape). I guess it will lose intensity towards the coast.

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Hi guys,
Certainly is an interesting day down south. I noticed that Nowra is about to have a storm onslaught that is well into the severe range on the Cooma radar. Sydney got lucky also by the looks.

I was keeping an eye on that weaker storm line building out near Bourke/Brewarrina earlier on near to 4pm. I saw 3 large anvils forming (still visible now on the VIS sat- 5:55pm EDST) out to the West and they looked interesting. Temps are fairly warm today at around 34Âșc and there feels to be some humidity about.
Most of the Cu field we were under earlier seems to have burnt off, leaving the main cells to do their thing. If they make it over here tonight at any point I will surely get out there amongst it :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
We had a storm tracking in towards here that formed SW of Penrith, but apart from a few rumbles and spits of rain nothing happened, it petered out by the time it hit Parramatta.

The earlier storm that formed in the northern part of the Blue Mountains and tracked north of Glenorie underwent a few different changes in intensity during it's life, briefly reaching a nice black core just west of Mangrove Mountain at about 5:50pm before falling apart.

In some ways it's a shame these storms came through as they have probably taken enough energy out of the atmosphere to diminish the possibility of the ones coming in from west of the mountains making it this far east. We can live in hope though!

Jeff Brislane

I was out and about earlier around Penrith. The original cell that developed SW of Penrith showed some interesting low precipitation characteristics before deteriorating just south of Penrith. I intercepted the decaying updraft west of Mulgoa in the hope of seeing some hail but there was nothing.

I headed back into Penrith just after 4pm and watched the next cells develop in a line from the Blue Mountains east to Penrith itself. There were some interesting but brief features before a short but powerfull microburst dumped over South Penrith providing the last excitment of the day.

Currently it looks like we should see some more squall line type cells in the next 1-1.5 hours but maybe not that exciting.

Jeff.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Lots of flashes and rumbling to the west now, though all ICs at least from this distance (It's still a fair way off). Hopefully it will get a bit more spectacular as it gets closer.

Ended up being a bit of a letdown. Mostly ICs with the occasional crawler. Tried getting a few photos but from what I saw on the viewfinder doubt there are any keepers. Oh well, next 2 days to look forward to hopefully. Only light rain, not enough you would be that worried being outside in it.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2009, 03:31:19 PM by Richary »

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Jeff, it seems this supercell was a classic supercell based on the precipitation rear flank downdraft RFD

Report Storm Chase February 23 2009 - Warragamba Classic Supercell

When I noted that storms were already developing and venturing across towards the Southern Tablelands and the Sydney region, I knew there would be some decent chasing opportunities. When I checked out the initial activity, one cell had some reasonable updrafts but later on when I checked it had a weakish anvil.

Finally, after crossing the road for some quick photographs, I noted that the storm was organising somewhat. There was little time wasted in leaving with equipment aimed for the M7. The side sheared anvil was an awesome sight and the updrafts were crisp. I took photographs whenever I could get the opportunity.

The storm was most impressive when it exhibited a new separated updraft complete with classic supercell structure. I never got the opportunity to film or photograph the simultaneous updrafts splitting off. Rain then hid the second updraft from view.

Drifting down Elizabeth Drive, my aim was to position myself near Luddenham. The best views and contrast however were near Badgerys Creek. From here, timelapse and photographs were taken and it gave me a breather to enjoy the spectacle. Gradually the storms precipitation interferred with the updraft and the storm went into a decline.

After nagating suburbia, I met Nick Moir near Castlereagh. Initially, we took a look at his radar and decided it was worth tackling the Hornsby to Gosford vicinity. The prospect of traffic and also a change in storm behaviour and we decided on a quick dash chancing the Wisemans Ferry area. The storm was very lightning active here but we simply ran out of road. The storm finally died quickly near Mangrove Mountain.

After dinner, I got an SMS to join Rune at the local lookout and together with another enthusiast we just relaxed and enjoyed a little lightning show.

All pictures from the 23rd February 2009 here:
http://www.australiasevereweather.com.au/photography/photos/2009/jd20090223.html

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Pictures to follow:
« Last Edit: 27 February 2009, 01:11:30 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
Today's Penrith cell displayed some interesting inflow structure before becoming outflow dominant,

the outflow boundary initiating some nice convection which produced  a cell to the west of Parramatta around 5pm
Cell at its peak with nice shelf punching out on the southern side,

Outflow prong well ahead of the main downdraft

Storm spat out only two cg's, this was the better one, and then it faded..

Cheers, Con.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Con,

That's a nice lightning bolt and also classic supercell you captured!

Included below are some of the lightning pictures:
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
I saw it blow up on radar then crawled through traffic until getting on m4 coming from city but it was falling apart by the time i got there , then met up with jimmy and headed towards wisemans ferry
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Re: NSW Storms: 23 - 26 Feb 2009 - including the Warragamba Classic Supercell
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2009, 02:46:23 AM »
Some nice structure yesterday. Great to get verification of a supercell after watching the radar and sending alerts to people in the path. I thought the sounding looked pretty good in the morning but conditions also improved by afternoon.

---> Sydney radar loop 23rd Feb

Sydney 6am

Sydney 3pm

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2009, 04:27:18 AM »
Today is looking very nice across for Sydney and surrounds! Just had a look at the sounding for this morning and still nice shear there and some unreal dryness above. Should be some beautiful crisp updrafts around with some serious large hail! Could it be two supercells in two days for Greater Sydney......  If I were a betting man I'd be putting some money down. Good luck to everyone out there, can't wait to see pictures later!

Jeff Brislane

« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2009, 07:47:45 AM »
Hi,

I'll try and post more photos later but here is what the later squall line looked like as it came off the Mountains.

Regards Jeff.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2009, 07:57:07 AM by Jeff Brislane »

Offline scottme

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2009, 08:21:11 AM »
Nice looking squall line Jeff.

Late-ish start today. looks like some early activity near Lithgow at 2pm. Conditions look similar to yesterday, except maybe a little hotter and dryer mid level.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2009, 11:07:35 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline Darinka

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2009, 12:25:46 PM »
 Hi All

Thought i would post a few Lightning pics of the storms that came over the ranges to the Illawarra region (Wollongong)
on Monday 23rd Feb 2009 to which Weatherzone posted a severe thunderstorm warning.  This Storm hit Wollongong about 7pm and
moved very quickly to the northeast and lasted about an hour before moving offshore.

This storm produced heavy rain, wind, cg's galore and hail..some to 1cm.  Sorry couldn't get pics during storms, got stuck
with observing within my car, not until rainshaft had moved off that i could get these last shots.

Regards
Darinka