Author Topic: NW NSW / SW QLD Storms 1st January - 3rd January 2007  (Read 56520 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: NW NSW / SW QLD Storms 1st January - 3rd January 2007
« Reply #30 on: 11 January 2007, 08:21:26 AM »
Hi,

Consider the map below. Barringun is across the border. Our perspective given we are just south of the border, is a WSW view. This is where the storm is in relation to our perspective W to SW at the approximate time of this image.

Other storms are perhaps 50km north at this point. Our storm had to be one that crossed the border from the south side.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 11 January 2007, 08:52:00 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #31 on: 11 January 2007, 08:51:17 AM »
It's certainly becoming clearer which cells you were observing.  An interactive radar display is now online here:

http://australiasevereweather.com/storm_news/2007/radar/20070102/warrego512.htm

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

tm

« Reply #32 on: 12 January 2007, 02:36:17 AM »
hi all,
interesting and confusing discussion... :D
thanks for getting the 512k radar MB :)
this image below was taken (phone) at around 06:40UTC (5:39ESDT) ie. 1 frame before radar comes back online....from ~35km SW of Cunnamulla looking Sth...just prior to it all precipitating as a line on radar (06:50frame) as i could see outflow boundaries and RFB's 'filling in' above and to my N-NNW...
Picture here  (copyright)

cheers,
« Last Edit: 12 January 2007, 07:16:00 AM by tm »

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #33 on: 12 January 2007, 03:39:08 AM »
Hi TM,

It is good to see your perspective of what seems to be the northern storm  did you see anything more distant prior to this? Was there raised dust hindering your view? Did you see the earlier high based storm? Also there was a smaller storm that preceded our storm as well? Did you chase with anyone else or was in contact with such?

Let us know what you did on the day and how things unfolded.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #34 on: 12 January 2007, 02:07:42 PM »
Hi everyone , just to confuse evryone more i thought i would add my memories from the period that i missed jimmy and went north to cunnamulla , i will have to check my shots for the times but i think it was around 3:30pm NSW time . there was a smaller weak storm forming slowly about 50 north west of barringun and also a similar looking storm to the north north east of barringun about 60 km , both these storms had small anvils , had not dropped any bolts that i could see and they were in clear air with no anvils or cloud over head and seperate from tha large cloud mass to the east and sth east. far to the northwest approx 40-50 west of cunnamulla was a better looking prospect and i had thought that jimmy may have had a shot at going for that one before i got his message that he was still in barringun. i will go through my shots tonight to see if i shot any of the northern stuff

nick
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

tm

« Reply #35 on: 19 January 2007, 04:01:37 AM »
hi all,

I guess I was perhaps located on the northern side of what you saw JD and on the southern end of the line to the north.. (perhaps there was a cell in between this and the one Jimmy saw but it was still clearly visible at times)

Some interesting storms and discussion  :)

cheers,

« Last Edit: 19 January 2007, 06:26:42 PM by tm »

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2007, 08:37:25 AM »
Hi all,
Sorry for the lateness of this post but I have some photos from the 1st of Jan. and a few from the 2nd (not posted here) but the cells were HP and electrically weak with only a very few actual CG's by the time they reached us here at Lightning Ridge?
The 1st of Jan storms however put on a great show and I thought I'd share a few of the photos with you :)

It started out quite messy, almost looking like a squall line but it was worth the wait  (for an hour or so) as it soon organised and a nice shelf cloud soon developed. This photo above (looking West from an Opal field called the 4Mile) was the only daylight CG I managed but I was very happy with it.

The gust front on this storm was great and seemed to lift the whole Coocoran (dry) lake into the air (above). We headed back into town immediately after this as it started to rain mud and visibility was down to a few meters!

One of the only CG's I managed to capture as the wind gusts and rain were making photography a total nightmare! This was taken in our main street looking SW. I got completely drenched but it was definately worth it!

Cheers guys,
Shauno.

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.