Author Topic: NW NSW / SW QLD Storms 1st January - 3rd January 2007  (Read 56454 times)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
NW NSW / SW QLD Storms 1st January - 3rd January 2007
« on: 02 January 2007, 11:07:46 AM »
Jimmy is currently at Cobar which has been quite active this afternoon with storms. The 2nd round looks like it is hitting now. Shear improves quite a bit so could be some fairly organised cells about.

Tuesday has LI -7 and CAPE over 2000 for tomorrow in the same region.

MB
« Last Edit: 06 January 2007, 02:45:11 AM by Michael Bath »
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: NSW Storms 1st January - 3rd January 2007
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2007, 02:40:01 PM »
Jimmy here from Cobar.

Did more travelling from Narendra getting to the storm than chasing itself. And yes the storms were definitely lightning active. The only issue, although I won't complain, is the high based nature of the storms meaning the storms went outflow dominant quickly. Amongst the very heavy rain, there were strong winds (some branches down), and tiny hail:)

Hoping for some anvil crawlers tonight from the back end of the storm complex.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2007, 04:40:24 PM »
Holy Cow!!!  I wonder if there is object out there that has not been struck by lightning this afternoon/evening! Quite a nice line in south central Queensland at the moment (9:40pm local time).
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2007, 05:30:51 AM »
Jimmy should now be near the QLD/NSW border on the Mitchell Hwy heading for Cunnamulla area. Storms have just started to develop west of there so should be in for a good show.

Storm Tracker image:

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2007, 05:39:53 AM »
It really is a shame in some respects that the cap is weak and storms are ongoing, otherwise I think there was (perhaps is) a brief window for a few quite impressive supercells this afternoon in the area north of Bourke and into Queensland. However, this complex is on a large scale, is evidently very wet, and will impact singificantly on the evolution of convection through the day. Of course, the cold pool is up there and the modifed surface airmass should get some good daytime heating. Good luck Jimmy!
« Last Edit: 03 January 2007, 05:43:47 AM by David Croan »
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2007, 03:22:31 AM »
Hi,

1st January 2007.

After a verifying check with Michael, he urged me to do the yards and head north. Nick Moir was unable to attend that chase. I headed north towards Cobar via Hillston -  a good 300km stretch alone with nothing in between besides Mt Hope - population - one pub.

On arrival at Cobar, rather than look for hotspots, I verified with Michael the situation. Storms seemed to me to be headed ESE. I met Alison at the Cobar Bureau of Meteorology Office who allowed me to view up to date lightning tracker. It was going crazy. The most active headed crossed the highway west of Cobar so I gave that a miss. It was the next developing cell that although high based looked decent. It became lightning active and missed Cobar. From 30km east of Cobar, I found some reasonable clearance amongst the Eucalyptus jungle! Some excellent bases and lightning striking frequently within the core and ahead of the cores. I followed this east as the storm passed over. Some hail and very heavy rain recorded. Further east within 50km west of Nyngan, I was experiencing some downbursts. Dust being picked up was a reminder of the drought. Lightning was quite impressive and some deep booms of thunder.

At this point given I was veering away from my target and possible activity later, I headed back to Cobar. Cobar Bureau of Meteorology Office once again with its great views. The complex was developing north of Cobar that became the trouble making for Bourke and its district. Very lightning active as well and very heavy rainfall.

I gave this a miss given I wanted to remain within reach of any activity nearby that developed later. This turned out to be a bad decision because upon checking the data, the atmosphere had been stabilised somewhat and recovery would take some time.

David called during the evening to assure me of good conditions north of Bourke the following day!

2nd January

After a flash of lightning from a dissipating storm to the west of Cobar, I began the day at Cobar Bureau of Meteorology Office where I was able to check the lightning activity (although pretty early near Bourke). Thanks for that once again Alison.

I headed north and intercepted the storms south of Bourke moving gradually east. The amount of water in the fields and side ditch was incredible and great for the drought stricken area. This was fairly lightning active but I knew I had to let this go. I wanted to remain north.

Thanks for a verifying update from Michael, I headed north towards the border. There were storms but they were relatively weak. I remained near a patch of altocumulus castellanus with deep turrets. One of these gradually developed a provided ample timelapse opportunity. Everything in the areas was high based so I knew not to head north at this point in time.

In fact I was about 40km north of the border and I noted that the conditions were better further south. The northerly winds were fresh to strong and creating areas of raised dust. In some cases the dust reduced visibility. I made my way to the border town when I noted a developing boundary!

Nick Moir was on the way up but I had little reception. You wouldn't believe that he had made great advances on distance and time and whilst having lunch at the border town, he had not received my message and had gone almost all the way to Cunnamulla.

He did an about turn and was headed straight back. What made events interesting here was that both our vehicles were thirsty for fuel. The pumps in this border town had been affected by the rain and were not able to supply fuel! Luck was on our side as the intense storm was approaching. What gradually unfolded amongst all the powerful inflow and dust was a pretty impressive structure - a sort of weather tease! It was one of the most impressive shelf cloud structures I have observed on my own storm chases. There were inflow bands at various levels and smooth laminar appearance on the shelf cloud. Timelapse was impressive. What also was impressive was the lower bases. Dust was racing in towards the shelf. Luck had it that there were little trees for a change to hamper any views! We eventually gave it one more move northwards before the structure engulfed us. Heavy rain and small hail observed. Larger hail may have remained further south of our location but we were not concerned.

As we headed north, we moved out of this mass of precipitation and found another core to the west of the road. Anvil bolts were piercing the earth behind us. We had to stop soon for at least some lightning activity.

Here Nick and I were able to capture some pretty impressive and close bolts - one was within or about 300 metres distance from our location. Of course we were in the car by this stage. This signalled the end of our structure chasing and the only option given fuel consumption (and Nick having travelled all day from Sydney) was to punch the second core. Only small hail and very heavy rain was observed. The fields were again awash with water. We made the Cunnamulla area about 7:30pm. With Nick having to pass across some pictures to the paper, fading light and the fact that when we set out eventually, kangaroos were going to be a problem despite the waterlogged fields, we decided to give the storms a miss. We finished with a steak back in town!

Finally an impressive day with decent footage!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 08 January 2007, 04:30:37 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
Re: NW NSW / SW QLD Storms 1st January - 3rd January 2007
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2007, 03:53:01 AM »
Terrific storm chase reports Jimmy ! - wish I had been able to head out as well.   I'll put up some satpics later.
Looking forward to photos and video and some stage.

MB

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
1km VIS satpic loop 02z to 08 2nd January.

You can see the storm Jimmy and Nick chased moved from west to east just south of the border, before it rapidly intensified and headed NE - from image 5 in the loop which is 5pm EDT.

Radar coverage is pretty poor where this storm was, and the archives are missing some images so no point putting up a loop.

Soundings for Cobar and Moree although not indicative of the storm environment

http://australiasevereweather.com/storm_news/2007/soundings/2007010200cobar.png
http://australiasevereweather.com/storm_news/2007/soundings/2007010200moree.png

MB
« Last Edit: 09 January 2007, 07:50:10 AM by Michael Bath »

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2007, 12:06:39 PM »
Having just seen Nick Moir's slideshow with audio of the "Dusty storm chase" on the SMH Website , which captured the stark reality and isolation of the region in times of drought married with dramatic storm impressions,  and now having read Jimmy's lucid and highly descriptive report of the chase, it brings home the fact that you guys are recording   with real passion for accurate and dramatic detail of our severe weather for all of us to appreciate.  We are there living and breathing every step of the journey with you.  A great read and wonderful visuals, Cheers, Con.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2007, 09:19:26 AM »
Hi guys,

Here it is in regards to what Nick placed online:
picture by Nick Moir from the Sydney Morning Herald
Nick's Video Presentation

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 07 January 2007, 09:57:11 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2007, 10:37:22 AM »
Hi,

Some pictures from the 1st January chase, high based but what else would you expect. These pictures were from east of Cobar to 50km west of Nyngan:

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 07 January 2007, 10:54:21 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2007, 11:00:29 AM »
Pictures from the 2nd January 2007. Chase mainly near the NSW/Qld border north of Bourke and on the way to Cunnumulla.

Part 1: Weaker High Based storms

The first storm was simply high base developing from altocumulus!

Areas of raised dust:

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 08 January 2007, 04:10:16 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
Part 2: Severe Storms emerge from the dust - near the NSW Qld border north of Bourke.

We head 10 to 15 kilometres north of the border:

Storm approaches:

Approximately 50km north of the border and it seems this may have been a second cell

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2007, 11:15:43 AM »
3rd January 2007: Storms in SW Qld develop near Charleville. Given I had to head home in the opposite direction, I did not bother chasing what would have made it a very long trip home.

Storm in the distance indicating a weakenign trend though another updraft developed on its northwest flank. I would have had to head north of Charleville

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

zacaroo

« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2007, 11:24:02 AM »
WOW Jimmy, some awesome photos, especially from January 2. WOW!