Author Topic: BoM Severe Thunderstorm Warning Survey  (Read 4909 times)

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
BoM Severe Thunderstorm Warning Survey
« on: 22 December 2006, 11:18:22 AM »
Go to http://www.bom.gov.au/survey/gstw2.shtml

Probably worthwhile to provide some input. I think the graphical format is good. However, I like to know whether a storm might produce marbles, golfballs or cricket balls and I believe the algorithm that they adopted from Environment Canada (if that it what they still use) can provide such an indication etc etc.   Also suggested they throw in the lightning line which should be in any severe thunderstorm warning and that the base map be considerably more detailed than it is (places, major roads etc etc).
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
Re: BoM Severe Thunderstorm Warning Survey
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2006, 02:44:09 PM »
yeah , i suggested that the warnings were too generic as though all storms are the same and that they should try and educate the public a little by using terms such as supercell though i didnt write that the warnings should say " A severe thunderstorm is in the area heading in a south easterly direction , any towns in its path wil be WIPED CLEAN OFF THE MAP!!!!!"
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2006, 04:41:36 PM »
" A severe thunderstorm is in the area heading in a south easterly direction , any towns in its path wil be WIPED CLEAN OFF THE MAP!!!!!"

hahaha, that is exactly how it should be done Nick - to the point!
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2006, 05:14:58 PM »
Nick you sadistic bugger:)

I really to tell you guys the truth given the political pressures, limitations of radar and considdering events fom the past, I quite like the way the warning system is structured. Too much information sometimes can impact on how it is perceived by the public.

I do think that delivery can be improved and that relates to media.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2006, 01:46:32 AM »
I suggested the graphical system (highlighting actual cells - not just the area under warning) they have in Sydney and Brisbane used in regional areas too - where the radar coverage is good, like Northern Rivers. Guess it's a matter of having enough staff to produce the products.

MB

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2006, 03:26:54 AM »
the warnings should say " A severe thunderstorm is in the area heading in a south easterly direction , any towns in its path wil be WIPED CLEAN OFF THE MAP!!!!!"

Hi Nick, I think another warning such as ...."stay away from wiiiiiindoows" could probably be useful too  ;D  My nearly finished DVD has some classic audio with the NOAA warning in it, not to mention a comedian in the car who does a good impersonation.
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Geoff Thurtell

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2006, 04:06:20 AM »
Hi all,

Overall, the BOM warning system is good but a bit variable. It looks like it depends who is on duty in the severe weather section at the time.
The media are hopeless with conveying warnings to the public. Yet, for example, most media reports for the Armidale storm say something along the lines of "...the storm hit without warning... freak storm..." and so on. It seems that they are unwilling to help with keeping the public informed but will then sensationalise their reports with hype about how the storm struck without warning. A little bit hypocritical from my point of view.

Enough from me!

Geoff

zacaroo

« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2007, 05:06:37 PM »
Hi,

Now to the point, I said that they should update the Severe Thunderstorm Warning more often instead of every hour because the situation changes alot faster than that.

Thanks,
Zac
« Last Edit: 05 January 2007, 05:41:35 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2007, 01:23:58 PM »
The problem with that is that the reports really are for the layman and too many reports would probably confuse the public. Like the boy who cryed wolf syndrome. In the midwest USA where the public has quite a good knowledge of weather and tornadoes kill a lot rapid up to date reports can be understood and used by the fleets of chasers , news crews and spotters for public safety, we just dont produce enough nasty storms.   
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2007, 04:38:22 PM »
From the NT point of view...we had a severe thunderstorm warning issued last night (friday just gone).  I went straight out as they said winds up to 90kmh!!!  That's a huge cell - albeit travelling down the track for at least 50km here and there and seeing the storms but there was not much in it. I think the winds at whatever level killed them off as when we return home from initial warning (6:30pm) to 7:30pm they had virtually died competely.

As far as we were concerned,  up here these things die off really quickly which is very frustrating.  We had three cells, one 20km SE of home and going NW and two from the SE going NW a bit further out.  The warning was for rural within 60km of darwin - neither of which eventuated into anything.  But as i mentioned in other posts - better to err on the side of caution with these - in fact some areas probably were affected by the storms, the bureau can only go by their path and speed and issue warnings to those 'impending' areas.  The storms were very vast moving - up to 30km an hour - so the likelihood of them developing further was zip as far as conditions prevailed.  A bust run for me and a relief for the mango farmers in its path!

With the monsoon out to our north not much in the way of weather - the odd pulse storm around - but it's the wet season and that's what you get!

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14