Author Topic: Polar low in Southern ocean makes huge waves Vic and Tas July 2011  (Read 9552 times)

Offline rogeressig

• Rope Tornado F0
My Brother and I filmed these awesome surfing conditions over the weekend. Bells beach Victoria, Australia. (9th july 2011)
Biggest wave recorded was near Tasmania, it was 18 metres.
SURFERS Take on Huge waves at Bells Beach, VICTORIA. July 9th 2011.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: Polar low in Southern ocean makes huge waves Vic and Tas July 2011
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2011, 01:22:13 AM »
Awesome footage there rogeressig,(I am glad you got the audio up and going again ;)).

It has been a month to remember with the severe winds and fronts that have hammered Tasmania, the central and south east areas of Victoria and NSW.

In the days leading up to the huge swells, the Blue Mountain's really coped the full brunt of the winds, from the high pressure system that pushed its way through. There was a lot of damage reported with hundreds of trees falling like match sticks, houses unroofed or damaged by falling trees and debris, many power lines down and even carnage on the rail system with a large tree blown onto a train causing extensive damage and injuring 4 people. There was 128Km/h wind gusts recorded at Mount Boyce.

In Bass Strait the weather station on Hogan Island, about 50km SE of Wilsons Prom, reporting sustained winds of 103km/h with gusts to 148km/h.

Then it was capped with the huge swells that hit Tasmania and Victoria.

Col.

Offline rogeressig

• Rope Tornado F0
RE: Polar low in Southern ocean makes huge waves Vic and Tas July 2011
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2011, 01:50:14 PM »
amazing what the wind got up to, mt wellington in tas recorded 178km/h i think