Author Topic: Site seeing and supercell chasing Montana - June 8 2006  (Read 10152 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Site seeing and supercell chasing Montana - June 8 2006
« on: 10 June 2006, 10:45:18 AM »
Saw Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower and then went onto chase mode.

We watched the last demise of the first supercell SE of Billings given we were progressing west at a rapid rate (after site seeing). Another cell developed to it's south though it was dominated by another developing cell slightly to it's east. This was interesting given that even as a larger cumulus with substantial base, I could note rotation. Got some excellent timelapse of this cell and then got in front as it became HP. Filmed beautiful struture but missed some impressive pulsing bolts. We saw David Gold and crew in this area but raced further north onto the interstate then east and then south. But it had weakened at this point as I had anticipated based on the environment it was moving into. We also saw a very nice LP that developed prior to dusk south of Miles City. This was ahead of the other couple of cells that despite dropping some crazy bolts weakened as well.

It was a little tricky given the radar hole that existed. We ate our evening meal Chinese resturant with small candle lights - the power lights kept flickering due to the storm.

We also decided to stay the night in Miles City at Motel 6. It was a tiring day and many miles travelled once again.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Andrej Matko

• Rope Tornado F0
Re: Site seeing and supercell chasing Montana - June 8 2006
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2006, 03:55:09 PM »
Hey Jimmy and Co. :)

Aaaa :o, you saw Devil's Tower, i wish i had seen it also. That is the first thing i want to see when i come back. 8) Can you guys post some photos when you'll have time? Thank you. :)

I see you have a lot of fun with the weather lately. Is this in any way affected by our departure? :) It seems you are going to chase Nebraska today, i hope your starting position was/is near the border, so there won't be a long drive. Good luck, i hope you catch some! :D

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Site seeing and supercell chasing Montana - June 8 2006
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2006, 05:35:29 PM »
Tourist chasing:

I didn't get any pictures of the first supercell that became disorganised and was not photogenic prior to stopping. It has excellent struture whilst we were in transition -silly me:

the other supercells are here:

later SW of Miles City

This incidently dropped a light cover of quarter size hail due to initial slow movement

Regards,
Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 10 June 2006, 05:43:38 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au