Author Topic: Northern NSW / Southern QLD Major Flooding: mid January 2011 onwards  (Read 17513 times)

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
RE: Northern NSW / Southern QLD Major Flooding: mid January 2011 onwards
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2011, 08:13:27 AM »
This one taken today (14/01/2011) at fairly well the same spot as yesterday. That footpath on the right sits on top of the the town levee bank that helps protect the town.   

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #16 on: 27 January 2011, 08:17:09 AM »
This one taken from the Border Bridge,before it was closed,looking back towards the levee bank.

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2011, 08:20:16 AM »
This shot taken across the road looking back towards Apex Park. I'm estimating the water level would be at the bottom step of the "Gunsynd" Memorial on the left.

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2011, 08:22:24 AM »
This taken at the boat ramp area on the other side of town,with the levee bank on the left.

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #19 on: 27 January 2011, 08:24:37 AM »
Good to see we can still laugh,i did anyway. Taken at the boat ramp.

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #20 on: 27 January 2011, 08:27:17 AM »
This is the Leichardt Hwy. north of town heading towards Toowoomba.

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #21 on: 27 January 2011, 08:29:07 AM »
The Barwon Hwy. heading west towards St. George.

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #22 on: 27 January 2011, 08:33:52 AM »
This is Kildonan Rd. or also known as the River Road heading east from town. Other roads out of town like the road south to Moree and the road northeast to Warwick i couldn't get to as they were already closed.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Re: Northern NSW / Southern QLD Major Flooding: mid January 2011 onwards
« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
Hi Simon, thanks for posting those, Goondiwindi sure came close to big problems!  How much higher before the levee would have over-topped?
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #24 on: 27 January 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
Hi Michael. We did come close thats for sure with most people obviously quite anxious but at the same time fairly relaxed about it all,strange feeling i can't describe. The water level peaked at 10.64 metres on the 14/01/2011 early in the morning if i remember correctly but BoM were giving a possibly height of 10.85 metres and with the minimum height of the levee at 11 metres we were keeping a very close eye on it.  We were in uncharted territory as it was a new record for us and in which the levee had it's biggest test at that height and for the amount of time at near it's peak,which stayed above the 10 metre mark for about 2 days. One thing that does also save us is that the NSW side doesn't have a levee so a lot was flowing over that way,which ended up inundating Boggabilla which is about 9 kms south of us and the surrounding areas.   

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
Hi everyone. Just thought i'd better mention in regarding my last post that one area of town that saw some inundation was the Glen Oak Rd. area north of town thats runs along next to the Brigalow Creek. From what i heard it wasn't serious but i could be wrong.

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #26 on: 10 February 2011, 06:49:30 AM »
Hi all,

Great shots there Simon! Nice work.

I'd like to post some more shots as the floods still move into and deepen around town but we are in the throws of a Mosquito plague currently. It's hard to stay outdoors for any period of time without being bitten.

An update on the roads as of today: The Castlereagh Highway from Walgett to Lightning Ridge remains closed to all traffic. The Castlereagh Highway from Lightning Ridge to Angledool is still closed to all traffic.

Access to Lightning Ridge from Walgett is via the Walgett to Cumborah road and Cumborah to Lightning Ridge (Lanillo road) but the roads are under caution as there is water over them both.

I will do my best to bring some more shots as soon as I can. We definitely need decent change to move these Mozzies along!

Kindest regards,
Shauno.
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #27 on: 10 February 2011, 08:54:32 AM »
Great updates by all.  Yasi certainly has left her mark in a lot of states after her rampage.  Can't remember such a year with so many severe storms, cyclones and the like that the Eastern states have endured.  When the predictions came out for a wet La Nina everyone went yeah right, another year....two landfall cyclones, massive flooding and severe storms...it will be a long road to recovery and none of us are immune to the heartache.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #28 on: 20 February 2011, 07:49:08 AM »
Hi everyone. Thanks Mike and thanks too Shaun,great info. and photos there and i particularly liked your map overlay's. Did you get any inundation in or around town at all?  Yeah, i know what you mean about the mozzies! Seems to be the only way of keeping them at away is to have a bath in 'industrial' strength repellent!!

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #29 on: 24 February 2011, 07:37:24 AM »
Hi guys,

We are still getting minor inundation around the lower parts of town, fortunately these are more swampy areas and there are no residents there. The water has subsided and the Castlereagh Highway from Lightning Ridge to Walgett is now open. I had a chance to go past the areas of the highway that were closed and the mud left everywhere is astounding. The water is still flowing in deeper parts but no part of the highway is covered now. In some areas the water was 30cm deep over the highway going by the lines left on flood markers.

Mosquito numbers have dropped finally. Still a phenomenal amount of bugs everywhere.

The Grawin opal fields are still isolated with the rotten plain area (where the road crosses coming from the Cumborah side) being turned into a lake (about 60-80cm deep in areas) from excess flow coming from the Coocoran Lake and backing up against the ridges out there. Not sure how long this water is here to stay but it was around for many months/years after the 1974 event.

Will try and get a few more aftermath photos of the outlying areas soon. The floods are still very much present around town.
Cheers,
Shauno.
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.