Author Topic: Darwin - advice sought  (Read 3125 times)

dk

Darwin - advice sought
« on: 11 December 2008, 03:31:52 PM »
Hi there, looking to visit Darwin for a weekend in January 2009. Really keen to see what all the fuss is about...we dont get much storm activity in Melbourne at all!

Can someone please advise me of a good place/location/hotel to stay where I will have visibility of storms over the water and good access to photo points?  I will not have a car so am pretty keen to get something right by the water with the right directional views.

Also, where does much of the storm activity come from in the Jan time of year. North? East/South?

Much appreciated!

Deb

Offline Darinka

• Rope Tornado F0
Re: Darwin - advice sought
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2008, 04:27:04 PM »
Hi dk

Im also known as dk (freaky)  asked this same question in 2007, went to Darwin twice in January 2008 for a weekend and then 5 days, no lightning at the time but great storm structures.  Storms always seemed to happen either side of our stay.  Not to be beaten am going again in January 2009 for 10 days "have to meet Hector".  We have and are staying at the 'Mantra' which is on the esplanade overlooking the Harbour, only place with a balcony directly overlooking the harbour.   

As for where the storms they seem to appear from the North West.... check out Mikes website on stormscapesdarwin he may give you some tips,  i think he knows a little! :)

Hope this helps, who knows i may see you there.   

Regards,  Darinka

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2008, 05:43:21 PM »
Hi dk,

The city would be the place to stay, as it has easy access to the wharf - which is probably the best place to be photography wise; if you have limited transport. Can't really recommend one hotel over another as I have only stayed at the plaza (not on the water).  lastminute.com is probably your best bet as the wet season is the low season in darwin, and you probably will be able to pick up a good rate. 

Will let mike comment on the the best direction for orienting one self for the storms but most of the good photo opportunities for me are when the storms come from the south - east.

n.b Mantra Pandanas would have good views if you were up high ! - but i believe the rooms are very small (for what its worth)

Cheers,
.adrian

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2008, 06:18:17 PM »
Hi Deb.

I can suggest either...Saville Park Suites on the Esplanade, Holiday Inn on the Esplanade or the Atrium Hotel also located there.  It really depends on what your budget is and I would not leave it too late to decide as accommodation is pretty tight everywhere.  All the hotels on the esplanade face the ocean to the north, but the Holiday Inn (previously the Travel Lodge hotel) gives you the choice of a balcony and either view which ever side you wish of Darwin. 

Personally, I'd stay at the Holiday Inn http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/160/en/hd/drwte simply for its convenience and choice of balcony views north, east, south and west!

Novotel Atrium - nice but no balconies  http://www.accorhotels.com.au/Novotel-Darwin

Storms come from just about anywhere and depends much on dominant winds.  It's a bit too involved for this particular thread so I'll PM you with some details on what's in store for you weather wise.  Photographic ops really depend on where you are but the wharf is about perfect and only 15 mins walking from your hotel on the Esplanade - or 30 mins in 200% humidity!

Give me a call when you arrive and I'll definitely catch up.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14