Author Topic: SA, VIC, NSW, QLD Storms Rain & Flooding 29 Nov - 6 Dec 2010  (Read 17066 times)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
SA, VIC, NSW, QLD Storms Rain & Flooding 29 Nov - 6 Dec 2010
« on: 01 December 2010, 05:05:26 PM »
Storm Chase - Gunnedah to Boggabri / Gunnedah - 29 November 2010

Over the three days from Sunday 28 November to Tuesday 30 November, I decided to try some storm chasing across the North West Slopes of New South Wales.

I left Sydney Sunday morning and drove to Maitland then Singleton to investigate weather conditions. Unfortunately no thunderstorm activity occurred in the lower Hunter Valley. Some weak convection was occurring to the north around the Barrington Tops but cumulus clouds kept collapsing. It was a cloudy day and cirrus stratus cloud dominated much of the sky. I also noted a rain band to the south including thicker cirro stratus and alto stratus cloud formations. Late afternoon, I decided to drive to Scone to keep away from the rain. I spent the night at Scone.

Monday, I drove to Tamworth and did some weather checks at the local library. At Tamworth a heavy but brief rain shower occurred over the city centre early afternoon. The weather models suggested that Gunnedah would be a better place for thunderstorm activity. I then drove towards Gunnedah under cloud but near the town, I broke out into clear skies and much sunshine. I also saw some cumulonimbus cloud towers to the west. I did a second weather check at the local library and decided against chasing the cloud towers as the storm cells did not appear to be significant. I waited in Gunnedah for around 3 hours which included my lunch. At around 3.30 pm I saw a large developing storm well to the north west of town. Rather than wait for the storm, I decided to intercept it. I drove out towards Boggabri and just outside town, I intercepted the storm.

There were two storm cells being a smaller southern one and a much larger northern one (Two photos attached). The main northern storm appeared to be a complex of cells and anvils that had merged into one another. Occasional cloud to ground lightning was seen including one bolt that was close by. One storm cell built close by and dropped a significant rain shower where I was located. I decided against driving any further into it because a new separate storm was building to the east. I decided to watch it, photograph it and follow it as it displayed some structure. I then decided to chase it back towards Gunnedah. I was able to catch up with it just as it reached its peak. As I was driving underneath it's base, a portion of the base just to the east of the road started to show a slight green tinge. However, I did not experience any hail but I did encounter strong rainfall and moderate winds. I drove through the core and then into clear skies on its southern side. I drove a couple more kilometres south where I parked the car off the road and waited. I let the storm core catch up with me and overtake me. Again, there was significant rainfall and cold winds and allot of within cloud lightning. Again, I did not experience any hail fall.

Following this, I drove back towards Gunnedah and I noted the storm had merged with the other storm and was losing its structure. Another small storm built close to town and I decided to chase that one. I caught up with it and again encountered a heavy rain shower. At this stage, storms were losing their structure and were weakening. I decided to spend the night in Gunnedah.

On Monday 30 November, I returned back to Sydney via Quirindi. I have photos of rain cells and weak storm cells but I will add them under a separate post.  

Jimmy, I received your text message following this storm (Second storm). This was the storm I was concentrating on. Following the chase, it appeared that thunderstorm activity was starting to wane across the region and no further storm activity occurred. I was not aware of new storms close by. Following your text message and looking at my maps, I realized that I had no chance of driving to Coolah or Dunedoo in time to catch the storm as suggested. I was too far away and nightfall would have caught up with me.

The photos referred to are provided below. They are taken near Boggabri approximately 35 to 40 km North west of Gunnedah between 4 pm and 6 pm. The first two photos are looking west while the second two photos are looking east or south east.

Harley Pearman

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: SA, VIC, NSW, QLD Storms Rain & Flooding 29 Nov - 6 Dec 2010
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2010, 01:35:42 AM »
Quirindi to Scone - Showers and cloud towers 30 November 2010

Tuesday morning was wet at Gunnedah following early morning rain. I did a weather check at the local library and concluded that I may have some chance of showers and storms near Quirindi 81 km south east of town. The problem further west, north and south was that there was too much cloud and rain. Looking at the radar, large areas of rain dominated that was training one another but moving south. I decided to try and keep away from the rain band.

Before I left town I was speaking to a couple of local shop owners and they were telling me that many crops further west face ruin due to waterlogging of paddocks and too much rainfall. The rain is interfering with the harvest.

I drove to Quirindi and stayed for a while. It appeared that storms were going to occur. One cell (First photo) showed some promise late morning / early afternoon. The photo is taken from the railway station off the main street looking south. However, the cloud tower struggled. Not long after I took the photo, it had merged with thick cloud to the south.

I went up to the lookout and watched shower cells develop (Second photo looking north). I realized that storms were going to struggle in the area due to increasing cloud cover being cirrus, cirrus stratus and alto stratus. I could see west toward Gunnedah and a uniform cloud cover was starting to dominate. Showers were increasing in frequency and rain periods were setting in. I noted later after arriving home that an isolated storm did develop south of Gunnedah amongst the rain band and cloud.

I left Quirindi and drove to Murrundi where I photographed an embedded cumulonimbus cloud tower with its base sitting over the range of hills. With no roads, it was not possible to chase it. This is shown in the third photo.

I drove to Parkville (Near Scone) where I encountered a heavy downpour from another embedded rain cell (Fourth photo). Following that, I drove home via Putty Road.

The problem occurring on Tuesday was that there was too much moisture and cloud cover over too broad an area and storm cells could not properly develop. Instead, I was finding that the weather system is providing more cloud and rainfall. My photos depict some of the better opportunities available to me on Tuesday.

Harley Pearman

« Last Edit: 02 December 2010, 01:42:24 AM by Harley Pearman »

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2010, 03:03:23 AM »
You may have wished to stay out there Harley as storms should occur over the regions near Walgett to Nyngan. Yes there are some trees but still good chasing country.

Great to see you out and about.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2010, 02:12:22 AM »
It is becoming De ja vu in Brisbane, every morning the weather forecast is stuck on
"Shower or two.  Min 20    Max 27" :rolleyes:

Some decent totals in and around Brisbane over the last 22 hours with Bulimba recording 82 mm since 9.00am yesterday.
Frank Sleeman Park received 74 mm
East Brisbane 67mm

More rain is predicted for Saturday with a chance of a storm on Sunday.

Col

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2010, 02:23:27 AM »
BoM have issued a SWW for the central parts of QLD. As the warnings states the trough is moving to the East. Looking at the radars we should feel the effects Friday night and Saturday with some decent falls. The GFS run showing some large totals again.

BoM.

For people in the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central Coast, Capricornia
and northern Maranoa and Warrego forecast districts.
Issued at 4:20 am on Friday 3 December 2010

Synoptic Situation:
At 4am, an active trough system was located over western Queensland. The trough
is expected to move east, reaching central parts of the state by this evening.

Heavy rain leading to localised flash flooding is possible about the northern
Maranoa and Warrego district and central districts today.

The heavier rainfalls are expected to ease from the west during the afternoon
and evening as the trough shifts east.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2010, 02:51:15 AM »
Two significant severe thunderstorms were observed in the Southern Tablelands yesterday (2nd December 2010).

The first storm produced a tornado near Collector (north of the ACT) just after 2pm EDT.

These photos copyright Stephen Gabriele

The second storm had an impressive wall cloud as it moved ESE into the NW ACT suburbs from 3.30pm EDT.

Photo by "Bogong":

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~patricktobin/wx/Cell201012021615.JPG

Photos copyright Michael King:

More here:
http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp41/upper_level_disturbance/

Fortunately the Canberra radar was online as it was dead prior to 12.30pm

128km Radar Loop for Canberra, 00:00 02/12/2010 to 06:00 02/12/2010 UTC

Weatherzone discussion from here:

http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/903416/11
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
I just noticed, probably had overlooked it due the mind's eye being composed of northern hemispheric images,,,,,but that tornado 'appears' to be on the wrong side of the apparent clear slot. You can see that the main updraft base is middle to left (in the pic). The only explanation would be that the parent mesocyclone (if there was on) had already occluded, and this is possible given the tornado is some distance displaced from the extant updaft. Radar imagery, however, suggests that the time was limited for all that too happen between Gunning and Collector (that is to be in a occlusion death phase). Or else the lowish contrast is muddling things.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2010, 03:37:48 AM »
Jimmy pointed out these outflow boundaries on the Yarrawonga radar yesterday - worth a look:

128km Radar Loop for Yarrawonga, 00:00 03/12/2010 to 12:00 03/12/2010 UTC

Offline Michael Thomas

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2010, 10:40:16 AM »
Regarding the outflow boundaries, I have noticed them on the Yarrawonga radar before. I suspect it is something to do with the sensitivity of that particular radar. As far as I am aware, the BoM don't particularly want echos showing up which are not rain/hail. Unfortunately, that means subtle features such as outflow boundaries are not usually displayed.

I hope that makes sense and is at least somewhat correct.

Michael

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
Hi Michael - yes, I've spotted them quite a few times on that radar as well. They should mainly show up on the Doppler scans rather than the precip.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
Hi guys,

Was talking on the phone about the recent tornado with Steve. Being outside I looked around and saw what seemed a quite interesting structure! I grabbed the video camera and took video and also some photographs.

The only issues for complete organisation perhaps was the lack of anchoring into a boundary and forward shear aloft. There was a light to mod NE wind at my location feeding into the storm.

Storm structure December 4 2010 Schofields

What a surprise!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 05 December 2010, 05:53:38 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2010, 07:33:14 PM »
Its been rainy here all day and hoohee look at the latest rainfall predictions over the next week i say Wetcember

Antonio.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2010, 12:03:32 AM »
Flooding images at Dunnedoo - 2 December 2010

Over the three days from 2 to 4 December, I went back out to Central West New South Wales for further storm chasing. On Thursday, I drove to Mudgee, then onto Dunnedoo. On Tuesday on the way back from Gunnedah, I was noticing a rather large rain system not too far to the south that was of interest to me. On the 2/12/2010, I decided to take a look at what had happened.

It was at Dunnedoo some 90 km NE of Dubbo, that I ran into an area where heavy flooding had occurred. I wanted to go to Gilgandra to chase distant thunderstorms however, my route from Dunnedoo to Dubbo was totally blocked by flood waters. The main highway from Mudgee north to Dunnedoo and from Musslebrook to Dubbo was open but many side roads and smaller country roads roads were impassible or blocked by signs.

The Central West may now be declared a disaster area following the rains and storms and many roads are cut by flood waters. I must also advise that any storm chaser going to an area from Dunnedoo to Dubbo, Parkes, Coonamble and Forbes, please be aware of flooded roads, damaged road infrastructure and road blocks over the next few days to weeks. There are too many roads cut over too broad a region to mention them all. My first three photos depict the severity of flooding at Dunnedoo township dated 2/12/2010. I was watching yabbies and fish swim on the road at this location.

On 2/12/2010, I was forced to go to Dubbo instead where I did experience two small afternoon thunderstorms but on 3/12/2010 following a severe overnight rainstorm, I captured some spectacular flooding early morning at Dubbo City itself. Later that morning, I chased a storm from Dubbo to Parkes and captured some amazing flood waters outside town following a deluge. Parkes was worst affected and I arrived in town as the event was unfolding. Photos will be loaded as I work on them.

My storm chase had to end at Parkes 3/12/2010 because I knew there was more flooding at Forbes and storms tracked south east but I could not get to them. I spent some time figuring out how to go east out of the flood zone because the important road to Orange was cut by flooding with Police and SES personnel manning a road block. Further a road SE of town was also cut by flood waters. I managed to take a detour all the way to Canowindra and spent the night there before returning home on the 4/12/2010.  

Harley Pearman

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2010, 10:46:19 AM »
Dubbo storms and Dubbo Flooding 2 and 3 December 2010

As per my earlier post on this subject, I had planned to chase storms around the Gilgandra to Coonabarabran area but the Castlereagh Highway at Dunedoo was cut by flood waters and so were adjacent roads. Instead, I had to go towards Dubbo. Approximately 35 to 40 km from Dubbo, two small thunderstorms developed and I was was able to close in on both and even drive through one of them. I have attached two photos of the second cell that developed. The photos are taken in a rural location around Ballimore and Muronbung looking north or north west. This cell dropped a substantial shower before weakening. It had a short life span and was highly localised.

I was unable to approach the storms to the far west and I spent the night in Dubbo. Between 3 am and 4 am Friday morning, a substantial rainstorm / thunderstorm cell passed over the eastern parts of the city but missed the airport. The amount of rain is not known other than 2.4 mm at the airport. That figure does not reflect what happened over east Dubbo such as Orana (Where I stayed the night). After daybreak, I went into Dubbo CBD and I was stunned at the level of flooding that had occurred. Coupled with heavy releases of water from Burrendong Dam upstream, the heavy rain and the rainstorm of Friday morning, significant flooding was occurring along the Macquarie River. I provide four sample photos as follows:-

1 - Parklands off Bligh Street flooded looking north.
2 - Flooding in Bligh Street.
3 - Truck driver taking a chance in Bligh Street.
4 - Emilie Serisier Bridge inundated by a swollen Macquarie River.

The last photo is the Newell Highway that provides the second link between east and west Dubbo. This caused significant traffic bottlenecks on the Cobra Street Bridge and many roads had to be blocked to prevent traffic gridlock around the CBD. There were TV crews filming the flooding at the time for the evening news bulletins.

My photos are provided below.

Harley Pearman

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2010, 10:56:43 AM »
Dubbo storms and Dubbo Flooding 2 and 3 December 2010 (Photos only)

Please accept the last two photos as described in my report as a separate attachment. I have exceeded the limitations.

Harley Pearman