Author Topic: NSW and SE QLD Rain and Storms 3 - 6 November 2010  (Read 10579 times)

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
NSW and SE QLD Rain and Storms 3 - 6 November 2010
« on: 03 November 2010, 12:12:58 PM »
Looks like the end of the week may be wet for both QLD and just the north of NSW

WZ sais:

Even though almost all of Queensland has met its yearly rainfall average already, yet another widespread and heavy rainfall event is forecast for the end of this week, likely to bring flooding to parts
of the east.

Models are picking some sort of disturbance to develop in the northern and central Coral Sea during Thursday. There is potential for a low to form, but at this stage it is unlikely to become a tropical cyclone.

The system should head south and deliver in excess of 50 millimetres of rain to the Central Coast, Capricornia, Wide Bay and Southeast Coast areas by the weekend.

There is almost certainly going to be areas awash with more than 100 millimetres, and coastal locations aren't the only chance. Tomorrow will see heavy falls generated over the Northern Goldfields, spreading east.

Winds will also be a factor, even without the low becoming a cyclone. Gusts could reach 90 km/h late on Thursday or during Friday morning, with anywhere south of Gladtsone most at risk. Winds this strong can rip branches of trees and cause structural damage to houses.

Showers and winds are expected to ease up by Saturday afternoon, although indoor activities may still be the best plan.

- Weatherzone

Also as stated above a LOW may develop it might possibly reach tropic too?

Some rain/ wind data below.

Antonio.

« Last Edit: 04 November 2010, 03:14:42 AM by Antonio (stormboy) »

• Stove pipe F3
RE: NSW and SE QLD Rain and Storms 3 - 6 November 2010
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2010, 05:28:58 PM »
Massive cloud buildup in the North with lots of rain around Gove

Antonio.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2010, 03:15:10 AM by Antonio (stormboy) »

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2010, 06:48:12 PM »
Well the rain like promised has now developed with high totals already

Antonio.

Offline enak_12

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2010, 01:04:19 PM »
Ok so some storms formed today just to the west of Coffs. I was at Tafe but left early and took some photos at the stadium across the road with my iphone.

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2010, 04:47:06 PM »
Nice pics there

10.8mm here since 9am with a huge rain blob coming our way now, im guessing after that it may get to 30mm+

Antonio.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2010, 01:52:15 AM »
We had 20.2 mm at the Brisbane airport last night and 32 mm at Archerfield.

It looks like we could be in for thundery squalls and rain this afternoon and for Saturday afternoon.

I believe next week, Monday and Tuesday, which is outside of the boundaries of this thread date wise, but still worth a mention, should see some good storms for Central Inland NSW,Northern Victoria and parts of Southern QLD.

I have to say I am looking forward to some hot sunny days, this cold start to Autumn/summer reminds me of 1973/1974. I was wearing a jumper in December of that year, which for Brisbane is exceptional for that time of year. Now my kids are believing me. :)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2010, 09:55:47 AM »
Radar is showing storms approaching. Nice front coming through SEQ.
STW have been issued, currently in NSW for the areas of North West Slopes and Plains,Central West Slopes and Plains and
Upper Western Forecast Districts.

Some of the locations which may be affected include Moree, Narrabri, Walgett, Mungindi, Lightning Ridge and Goodooga.

Col

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2010, 10:34:24 AM »
Upper Western N.S.W. Storm Report 5th November 2010

Hi guys,

As Col has mentioned above we were in the severe storm warned area here at Lighting Ridge. I was out on the opal fields around 25k's WNW of the Ridge watching those storms during the mature phase. I had a message come through from my mum who is out at the Grawin opal fields (40k's West of town) saying they received some small hail and 16mm of rain. Nothing in town here at all as far as rain from those storms.

The bases on the two cells (one to my North and one to my South West over Grawin at the time just as I heard from my mum) were really dark and impressive around 2pm EDST. Thunder was constant and CG were frequent which was evident by the constant loud cracks of thunder close by me. I didn't manage to actually see any lightning due to bright sunlight between the two cells. The updrafts were very strong but nothing in the way of severe characteristics that I could make out? Didn't see any shelf or anvil formations just a solid rain core and dark RFB preceding the storm cells. 

The cells became weakened and linear, shearing off quickly turning to isolated grey showers by the time I had the EWN warning lol.

Seemed to be a re-formation out around Collarenebri on radar with a few red cores present within the last 40min loop. (4:25pm ESDT)

See how we fair over the next few days. I'd love to dust off the Canon and bag a nice photo or two. It's been a while!

Kindest regards and take care.
Shauno.
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
Drizzle today but thats about it.

Whats with the rain staying so offshore and also stationary?

Antonio.

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2010, 01:58:36 PM »
Winds are gusting around 50km right now with the WZ forum guys saying there is a ECL just off Ballina and it is moving north

0mm of rain for me here but the rain will come

Antonio.

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
Update:

1.5mm of rain
17.5C
99% hum
61.3kms wind gust ( after 2 hours calmer )

Being very costal the wind here seems to really gust up!

Antonio.

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
Update 2:

4.0mm of rain
17.1C
99% hum
60.6kms Wind gust (squall 2)

we have had 2 squalls of wind and rain now the wind is back below 30 for now i hope the squalls are over as all our pot plants are toppled

in my graph you can see the 2 squalls 1 2 hours ago and the other recently

Antonio.

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2010, 01:58:17 AM »
Since my last post there was one last smaller squall of wind and rain this time reaching close to 50kms then dropping very quickly as soon as the low was out of our area. at the time Ballina airport was reading 40 but only because they update every 30minutes, Byron however was close to my results with 55kms

Antonio.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2010, 03:38:53 AM »
Managed to get 29mm here in the past 24 hours. Most of that fell during the afternoon and evening. Temperature only managed to get to 19 so another well below average day.

Winds were quite strong at times during Saturday but being sheltered from the southerlies means the AWS does not measure any high gusts.

Edit: Antonio, they are some great squall measurements there !

Afternoon satpic shows the low off Ballina - Byron. The only severe warned thunderstorm of the day can be seen NW of Goondiwindi too
« Last Edit: 08 November 2010, 04:00:36 AM by Michael Bath »
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2010, 03:59:48 AM »
Thats a good picture of the Low i still cant belive that we had such strong gusts, also went to the beaches last night for a quick looksy at the wind over there with a portable wind reader was much more than what my station was saying but that is because the station is in a area where 400 or so meters away there is a cluster of trees, the beach gusts while standing there for 5 minutes were 68kms

A nicer day today and lets see some more rain

Antonio.