Author Topic: SA, NSW and VIC: Rain, storms and wind 2-5th September 2010  (Read 15604 times)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: SA, NSW and VIC: Rain, storms and wind 2-5th September 2010
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2010, 03:02:17 PM »
Apparently the storms really hit Adelaide yesterday afternoon, with a couple of my friends on facebook posting reports of really close lightning as well as torrential (for Adelaide) rain. Quite a bit of minor flooding around the city, and many trees down (also still falling tonight after winds gusting to 96 kph at the Airport at 3:30 this afternoon). Monitoring the emergency services pager for SA last night a new job for the SES or CFS was coming in about once a minute and covering a huge area from Leigh Creek in the north, down to Kangaroo Island and east to Murray Bridge and the Riverland all at the same time.

According to the news tonight Victoria really copped it today with some bad flooding in the Central/Goldfields areas.

As a gentler alternative, here in Sydney had 15mm of gentle showers overnight which was badly needed.

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2010, 05:46:12 AM »
Hi guys,

Definitely some impressive looking storms about over the last few days! The closest one to us was heading between Moree and Wee Waa on Friday evening.

Didn't see anything in the way of storms here though.

Our totals combined over the 3rd and 4th of September were 33mm so it's a little wet and muddy around the place.

Kindest regards.

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2010, 11:18:43 AM »
Windstorm hits Batemans Bay with photos - 5 September 2010

I was in Batemans Bay this morning 5/9/2010 visiting my parents and the town and the south coast was battered by wind gusts following the rain. Only light patchy rain occurred in the area which cleared early evening. By 10 pm winds were increasing in speed and by midnight, gale force winds were being experienced across Batemans Bay. Power began to fail from 2 am and all power was lost by 4 am.

I barely slept overnight due to the noise of the winds. It sounded like being close to waterfalls. Winds were intense for several hours which only abated after sunrise. I noted many trees brought down. Some roads in the locality were cut by fallen trees. I saw teams of SES Personnel and Fire Brigade attending to tree damage, including the damage outside my parents home. Fire Personnel were called out to a school near Surf Beach. I left Batemans Bay at 9 am and no power was available anywhere within town. All traffic lights, banks and service stations were left without power. Driving up Clyde Mountain, I saw numerous trees had been brought down across the Highway making travelling a little difficult. I also saw teams of Country Energy Personnel driving to Batemans Bay from Queanbeyan and Goulburn to attend the cleanup. It is also likely that crews will need to spend time below Clyde Mountain clearing up the mess.

Photos Number 1 and 4 shows powerlines brought down on Country Club Drive outside my parents home. At 3.56 am gale force winds knocked a large tree down onto powerlines outside my parents home. This brought down some 100 metres of powerlines causing a significant explosion on a transformer. This knocked out power in the area.

Photos 3 and 4 show more trees down in the area. The third photo taken on nearby Sea Street shows a large tree brought down over a road and driveway. Fences have been knocked down.

This is repeated right across Batemans Bay.

Please find attached four photos showing samples of damage caused overnight and early morning below. All photos were taken at sunrise 5/9/2010 around Country Club Drive Batemans Bay near where my parents live.

Harley Pearman

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2010, 11:51:45 AM »
Heavy rain and minor flooding south of Goulburn 4 September 2010

On Saturday 4/9/2010, I had to visit my parents at Batemans Bay. I usually go via Goulburn and Tarago then onto Clyde Mountain. This time travelling south of Goulburn I noted that a heavy rainstorm had swept through the area just prior to my visit and some flooding had occurred.

Near Tarago approximately 37 km south of Goulburn, I noted water ponding on and over the roads, some localised flooding, water across paddocks and even some farms that had suffered some degree of flooding. I do not know how much rainfall fell but it is evident that a rainstorm had occurred. Further south I noted a rather dark area of cloud (Mainly thick Nimbostratus) moving south which I could not catch. It was evident that it was raining heavily from that.  

The two photos attached show general scenes I encountered including some flooding over a normally dry road at Tarago. The photos are provided below and were taken mid morning Saturday.

Harley Pearman

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #19 on: 07 September 2010, 01:00:23 PM »
I spotted this one on the Adelaide Now website user gallery. That's a bit close for comfort, and very lucky it didn't overexpose.

Flang

Offline rogeressig

• Rope Tornado F0
HD vid of Storm Intercept, [at 600mts] North Eastern Victoria, Flood Event
« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
I've finally edited some of the footage from a 3 day documentation of
the severe weather event from 3rd to 5th of September, 2010.

We concentrated on the North East areas and
filmed in areas from Bendigo to Bright.

North East Victorian Floods, 4th and 5th of September, 2010. part 2 - 'Intense Storm intercept'

'My Brother and I Intercepted the major storm that released the massive rainfall on the Saturday the 4th of September, in the North East region of Victoria.
Filmed Up on Apex Lookout [600m above sea level] in Bright Victoria, Australia. Surrounding Alpine areas recorded 135km/h / 84Mph wind gusts from this storm.' (needs verification)

Part III coming soon, Filmed 2 hours after the Storm Intercept.
Trees and Debris washed down Ovens River. Myrtleford and Eurobin flood waters, flooded roads and much more.

let me know if i've said anything incorrect in regards to the weather! any suggestions also most welcome.

Offline Hardy25

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2010, 04:00:38 PM »
rogeressig: congratulations to you and your brother on the great video, i really appreciate the time and effort spent making it, it gives a great insight into what it was really like during the deep low and heavy rain event that was so devastating to many regional places in Victoria, luckily it was well predicted and warning information was widely available through many means to reach as many people as possible so early, it probably saved a lot of lives

good work and hope to see more videos

Offline rogeressig

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #22 on: 13 September 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
Thanks! i hope to make a decent documentary from it, i have over 39gb of video to edit. I shall upload the next one in the next few days.

Offline rogeressig

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2010, 06:46:38 PM »
Part 3 of My brother and my mini-doco of the North East Victorian Floods.

North East Victorian Floods, 4th and 5th of September, 2010. part 3 - 'Flooding Starts'

Part 2 can be viewed here..
North East Victorian Floods, 4th and 5th of September, 2010. part 2 - 'Intense Storm intercept'

thanks for your support, feedback most welcome.
-Roger Anthony Essig