Author Topic: NSW / QLD Severe Storms and Lightning: 2 - 8 Dec 2008  (Read 60692 times)

JulianR

RE: NSW / QLD Severe Storms and Lightning: 2 - 8 Dec 2008
« Reply #45 on: 10 December 2008, 05:06:59 AM »
Hi Jimmy,

The two cells in question were no doubt supercellular in my opinion. No#1 Cell once breaking the cap, had tops well over 40,000ft, and at the base of the updraft were two bell dome features, related to the classic type supercell. Cell No#2 did not sustain supercellular features unlike Cell No#1 and became slightly outflow dominant as you can probably see in my daytime CG shot. Michael Manning has some better contrasted photos of Cell No#1's features clearly showing that of a classic supercell. I was not aware that the BOM confirm supercells in their STWs? I have never come across the actual word being mentioned. The only way the BOM would have been able to confirm it would have been through a phone-through report from a spotter out in the field anyway.

Cheers,

Julian

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #46 on: 10 December 2008, 06:37:06 AM »
Julian,

Thanks for your reply. Interesting to say that you are suggestign "without doubt". In my opinion, your pictures show separated updrafts which to me indicate that it was multicellular at least during the time you took your pictures. Nice updrafts of course but the heights of 40,000ft by no means define supercells. A supercell is a thunderstorm that has an updraft with persistent deep rotation (typically rotating for 20 minutes or more).

In terms of Michael Manning, the following photograph is the best I can refer to that you may be suggesting:

http://jeff.bsch.au.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1058

The lower level structure is quite nice. Perhaps this was an interaction with a boundary. Nevertheless, it looks more like an LP. Very little precipitation is falling from the base of the main updraft. And then it seems to enter into a collapse mode rather quickly with rain falling through the base and cutting off the inflow. Perhaps the storm crossed a boundary to develop some nice features.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 10 December 2008, 09:48:16 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #47 on: 10 December 2008, 11:48:58 AM »

I was not aware that the BOM confirm supercells in their STWs? I have never come across the actual word being mentioned. The only way the BOM would have been able to confirm it would have been through a phone-through report from a spotter out in the field anyway.

Cheers,

Julian

The BoM do in fact issue warnings with enhanced wording to the effect "this is a dangerous storm" and I would think that this is used only when a mesocyclone is detected on doppler radar (and to that end is only used in detailed warnings for capital cities and surrounds). Since a mesocyclone cannot be seen by the human eye, BoM are unlikely to upgrade a warning on that basis as it is becomes far too subjective and, utimately, unreliable.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

JulianR

« Reply #48 on: 10 December 2008, 02:45:36 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

To better explain what I was referring to you before, I think you are a little confused with storm days. I am referring to the 3rd of December, not the 6th of December. Here is a picture taken from Michael Manning which clearly shows the structure in question:-

That feature is on the base of this updraft here:-

There was some time to develop in between both pictures, but you can see clearly in the first picture the feature which I have been trying to explain.

Cheers,

Julian

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #49 on: 10 December 2008, 02:48:59 PM »
The BoM do in fact issue warnings with enhanced wording to the effect "this is a dangerous storm" and I would think that this is used only when a mesocyclone is detected on doppler radar

They often make that statement for Sydney and they don't have a doppler radar here yet (unless it is a secret one). I would say they can usually predict from the behaviour we look for - movement different from other storms in the area, the intensity in the centre. And of course storm spotter observations when you see the text "5cm hail reported at xxx".

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #50 on: 10 December 2008, 04:43:17 PM »
Julian,

Can you please indicate the orientation of this structure - which direction are we looking?

Can any radar of this storm event be placed online?

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #51 on: 11 December 2008, 01:20:25 AM »
I've saved millions of radar images over the past few weeks, so I need to know the dates/times and locations to put up the correct ones.   Julian - can you please advise date and time ranges and I'll do up some loops :)

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #52 on: 11 December 2008, 05:01:39 AM »

They often make that statement for Sydney and they don't have a doppler radar here yet (unless it is a secret one). I would say they can usually predict from the behaviour we look for - movement different from other storms in the area, the intensity in the centre. And of course storm spotter observations when you see the text "5cm hail reported at xxx".

Sydney was the second Australian city to have Doppler radar. Darwin was first -- it was used in some of the many studies up there. During Sydney 2000, we had two Dopplers covering Sydney I believe (having borrowed Darwin's) -- all from memory, correct me if I am wrong.

« Last Edit: 11 December 2008, 10:52:35 AM by David C »
Storm Chaser,
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #53 on: 11 December 2008, 08:22:26 AM »
The dangerous storm text does not necessarily infer a supercell, it has also been used for multicells....its purely when they have a spotter report or get such a radar signal that it recieves this statement....usually the prior

Who told you this?
Storm Chaser,
www.thunderbolttours.com

Jeff Brislane

« Reply #54 on: 11 December 2008, 10:31:26 AM »
So everyone knows who reads this topic. The Kurnell Radar is in fact a Doppler Radar.

What is with the orange coluration in that image? Were you using a coloured ND grad?

Offline Anthony Cornelius

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #55 on: 12 December 2008, 01:17:22 AM »
Hi John,

Your comments about the VDS not just being used for supercells is interesting.  I'm wondering if this changes from state to state?  I've only seen the VDS comment for Sydney and Brisbane regions, and anytime it's been used it's always been a supercell (and a well structured one at that).  From my observations, a 'VDS' is used for supercells, but not all supercells are given a 'VDS.'

There are many times when the warnings have listed a spotter (or public) report but no VDS has been given.

I'll go one step further to say, from observations, the 'VDS' is used when significant low level rotation is being detected in the storm by doppler (ie, it's the Bureau way of saying 'this storm may produce a tornado').  But I know of two storms this year to buck this trend a little...

And yep...the Kurnell radar is a doppler (implemented for the Olympic games).

AC

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #56 on: 12 December 2008, 04:32:37 PM »
I was aware that Kurnell was a doppler radar, but it isn't easy to find on the BoM site except through a google search and doesn't have the windfinding features available online. Not sure why as Brisbane and Adelaide both have links to their new dopplers and the original ones. However we seem to be digressing into what makes the bureau issue a "this is a severe storm" message.

Which is fine, but probably easier to ask someone there than speculate.

Storm Surfer-Jo

Re: NSW / QLD Severe Storms and Lightning: 2 - 8 Dec 2008
« Reply #57 on: 31 December 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
OK I just worked out how to send pics to my mailbox. Here are 2 pics of the frount of the storm from Ipswich QLD on the 3.12.08 in the arvo.

Offline Paul D

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #58 on: 26 October 2009, 05:43:49 AM »
This storm has come up previously in this thread date of storm 6th of December 2008. Fairly long lived cell, that showed up some mesocyclone rotation on the Brisbane Doppler :- http://www.theweatherchaser.com/radar-loop/IDR66I-brisbane/2008-12-06-06/2008-12-06-09
I've attached a few pics that show storms structure from over the location of Kilcoy through to Beerwah app.
Paul
« Last Edit: 26 October 2009, 05:48:53 AM by Paul D »

Offline Paul D

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #59 on: 26 October 2009, 05:54:18 AM »
Last pic from the series in the previous post and a couple of CG shots
Paul