Author Topic: Chasing northern NSW  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Chasing northern NSW
« on: 17 September 2008, 09:57:02 AM »
Hi Shauno...being at Lightning Ridge do you experience the same set ups as have been experienced  in this post of late?.  I did not want to go off topic of course, but you are in NSW afterall.

Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Re: NSW & S Qld Severe Storms: 11-14 September 2008
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2008, 04:56:14 AM »
Hi Mike,
I think we have the same "rule of thumb" basic setups as is common around the state with the only real difference being that supercells are not so common this far North due to us being situated in that area of Aus. that does have it's problems with low moisture, wind shear etc. (IMHO). Having said that, they do crop up, but rarely. I have seen the posts from a few of the guys here that have chased supercells out this way, as close as Walgett and Collarenebri. So I still await the day I get to photograph an actual SC storm. I don't have much time left here and wish to move soon so I hope I get the chance before too long! ;)

[I do recall a storm in 2000 (I just can't recall the actual date unfortunately?) that threw down tennis ball sized hail (I may have mentioned it before somewhere here) out on the fields 30k's West of town at around 10pm. I wish I was chasing/photographing at that point as I'm sure this would have been a significant storm event! It did a tremendous amount of damage to a lot of mining equipment, some of which I did see soon after, and even at that point where I basically knew nothing about storms, I remember thinking- WOW! that damage is impressive in it's own way, I could easily fit my fist into the indentations on some truck cabins! I would bet money that this storm was supercellular]

Cheers and kindest regards,
Shauno

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.