Author Topic: Northern NSW Storms 26 - 29 November 2006  (Read 45943 times)

Ezzz

RE: Northern NSW Storms 26 - 29 November 2006
« Reply #30 on: 04 December 2006, 10:47:39 AM »
The storms really only reached South West Rocks (on the Mid North Coast) on the 28th of November. The 26th, 27th, and 29th only brought light rain to South West Rocks from distant or nearby thunderstorms. I received two brief storms during the event and they both occurred on the evening of the 28th of November. The storms were very lightning active and even knocked the power out for a short period of time. Here is a summary of the rainfall received from this event:
26th 0.2mm
27th 0.1mm
28th 7.6mm
29th 0.1mm
TOTAL: 8mm

Storm development generally held off much later in the day then it usually does, with most development starting around 4-5pm and peaking at around 7-9pm, usually it does this about 2-3 hours earlier than the times just stated.
Erik.

Jeff Brislane

RE: Northern NSW Storms 26 - 29 November 2006
« Reply #31 on: 08 December 2006, 04:10:36 PM »
On a side note to the lightning - a chaser was struck, the chaser wants to remain anomymous, it left several long red track marks radiating from the shoulder ( there is a picture and I hope that it gets posted one day ). The chaser was dazed for several minutes and has a very sore shoulder, but otherwise is OK. It was obviously not a direct strike

I have to concur with Jimmy. Lightning strikes can leave long term physical and psycological effects that aren't apparent at first, many studies of strike victims have proven this. Even though this person might not have been hit by the full force it doesn't matter as damage to the nervous system and brain can occur even with glancing lightning strikes.

I honestly think the person should come forward and talk about it plainly so others can have more respect for the very real dangers we all face when we chase. We can get too complaicant too easily, especially younger or newer chasers.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2006, 12:53:52 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Northern NSW Storms 26 - 29 November 2006
« Reply #32 on: 16 September 2008, 07:26:26 AM »
Apologies for not posting earlier on this thread topic - I'm in the process of doing the rounds through the forum topics finding what I have not replied to!

So...what a brilliant log of events!  Thanks MT for the rundown on the satpic and boundary scenario, quite informative.  Thoroughly enjoyed viewing the photos and albeit a bit late by several years :) it was a great read all the same. 

* Did anyone eventually find out who the chaser was who got struck and if there was any after effects?  Since it's been a couple of years almost since the event I would be interested to know anything about him since that happened?
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14