Author Topic: Melbourne: Thunderstorms and hail 2/5/08  (Read 5208 times)

Offline John Allen

• The 'Bomb' Guy
  • Multi-vortex F1
  • Wanted: Lightning
Melbourne: Thunderstorms and hail 2/5/08
« on: 03 May 2008, 07:27:01 AM »
Hi everyone,

An event that came to me rather than me going to it. Noticed fairly decent cold updrafts at about 12:30pm, and while driving on the bus it began to rain with sporadic hail. Just as I reached my stop hail became more regular and went from pea size to up to 1.5cm. Drove a little further up the road for a better look (had no camera on me), encountered very electrically active cell within the squall line with extremely heavy rainfall, hail just above pea size which fell to a depth of about an inch. Rainfall following the hail resulted in some flash flooding in the area. Just got home and grabbed a couple of pics (about 20 mins after the near inch of hail fell) from my car and tennis court. Will post up a bit later when i have access to facility.

Very interesting stuff.
Explosive events coming to a weather system near you.

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
Re: Melbourne: Thunderstorms and hail 2/5/08
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2008, 07:35:42 AM »
nice, But i hate it how interesting weather comes when u never have a camera. i always try to keep a camera on me (never know what you might get)

maybe somone else got some pictures/ footage

Offline Jane Gough

• Rope Tornado F0
    • stormygirl.net
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2008, 11:23:58 AM »
A couple of pics from today's storms. All were taken looking north and north east between 1:43pm and 2:09pm. The majority of the rain happened to the north east of me, but I did experience pea sized hail in the 4mm that fell. One visible flash during the storm, but plenty of distant rumbles. While taking photos I saw numerous CG's.

Click thumbs for larger view.

_   _  

A few more to come, but I'll add them on my site soon...
Weather and Photography
www.stormygirl.net

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2008, 12:53:03 PM »
Like a few others, pity I didn't have a good quality camera with me today. About 12:45 a small cell thunderstorm decided to blow out and fire up with about a dozen CGs around the Nunawading - Ringwood area, creating H1-H2 hail, and some sleet in the Ringwood area. I was caught in it, whilst on my way in the coach (Crown Coaches) heding to pick up children from a sporting event in Ringwood. The storm had close to supercellular structure and certainly was intense for a cold-weather storm. Yet again, another storm that took BoM too long to forecast. It proves to me how much we need chasers like us to be on the scene.

A nice 25mm or rain fell in the area above in less than 40 mins, and the storm continued to grow as it pressed NE towards the Alpine district. Not sure how much snow may have fallen out there, but it would have been quite healthy given the darkness of the cumulo-nimbus clouds flowing out that way.

Big Pete
PJJ