Author Topic: 2008 US tornado season discussion  (Read 97847 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: 2008 US tornado season discussion
« Reply #150 on: 23 June 2008, 12:19:54 PM »
Hi guys,

Here you will see some impressive footage of probe being place in the path of a tornado by Roger Hill   May 19 2008

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jyKB_LjdHlg&feature=related

There are a few probes being placed out there hmmm.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #151 on: 24 June 2008, 01:02:05 AM »
The cow in the hail at the end is a nice touch , though would have been better if it took off :)
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #152 on: 24 June 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
Michael,

You must be a fan of BBQ steak - well done style!

Seriously the footage is impressive and it is interesting to what level storm chasing has escalated in the United States during 2008 during a pretty active period late May into June!

Anyway, I will try sussing out some more clips from this season.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
« Reply #153 on: 02 July 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
I agree with Jimmy's remarks about the evolution of storm chasing in the USA.  Even in the 4 years ive been over, it is remarkeable to see the changes.  It is now more common to see or hear about probes, live streaming chase video is the 'in thing', online chaser-tracking networks are growing and crazy (risky) up close chasing videos (and one-upmanship) are seen by some as 'the prize'.  Some of these changes have certainly added to the experience and the science but the worst thing i've experienced is some of the driving (and parking) of chasers and tour groups alike - especially this year.  We had some experiences that were truly attrocious and in my opinion there will no doubt be a fatality directly attributable to poor driving (or parking) during a chase.
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #154 on: 22 August 2008, 09:29:54 AM »
Brad et al...do you think the chase craze has gotten out of hand with some of the more redneck element seeping in cashing in on all this?  I've seen videos of idiotic behavior by guys who say they are experienced and bag the hell out of Josh's DOW and the TIV without any clue of how important their work is, yet they follow them in some beat up sedan with a home made probe with a camera mounted inside and putting themselves in danger without doing all the sensible things to avoid such a thing?

The data that's collected by the pro guys takes years to decipher and put together as a model for specific elements of tornado and supercell formation, does anyone think the same as me or am i just being pedantic!
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
« Reply #155 on: 23 August 2008, 11:22:02 AM »
Mike there is no doubt that poor behaviour is occuring more prevalently over there now than a few years ago.  However it is not rampant, nor did we see it on every chase.  The location and timing of a chase can be a contributing factor.  For instance, chasing the southern plains on or near the long weekend (like this year) can lead to a massive convergence and some really poor and risky behaviour which we saw.  But of course you dont have to have a large convergence for someone to do something risky.  And then there's the flip side - if you dont take some element of risk then you possibly wont be in any position to view a tornado if it occurs.  The key is to chase with responsible, experienced and level-headed people that share the same expectations and realistic goals, and to ensure that the group you are in considers other people out there.  Then we can all chase happily ever after  ;)

hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #156 on: 23 August 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Brad.  It just seems that every time you look at the footage on the tube or on the net that there's some idiot doing stupid things chasing a tornado without the commonsense aspect to which we are all trying to encourage.  That special capture is always ever present when chasing and I agree that some risks need to be taken to get them, but thankfully there are still professionals who like to take the risk and get the footage but with safety in mind first up.  I was just sick and tired of seeing reckless behavior overpowering the needs of one's personal safety!

It's something we'll continue to see simply because dramatic footage pays good money by the media - a bit like vultures at an accident scene.  All we can do is encourage people to chase with someone with experience and do it the right way - for science and one's own pleasure.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
« Reply #157 on: 21 December 2008, 02:46:06 AM »
If anyone is heading over to the States in 2009, may be worth looking to book some airfares shortly. Although Air NZ has always been the cheapest to fly SYD/LAX it's a bit of a pain in the butt having to go via Auckland both ways. V Australia have another special out at the of $1185 (including tax!) which is pretty impressive for a Non Stop service.

If I was heading over I would seriously be booking this special ... You wont get much cheaper to the States esp compared to a standard fare of $1899! (I think the sale ends Dec 29, 2008).

With Delta about to fly the route from July onwards fares like this could become more common.

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #158 on: 27 December 2008, 11:05:59 PM »
To get to LA from Auckland we have to pay $1800 incl tax and that's a cheapie. So the $1200 looks incredible. You need to have flexibility with the ticket  in case you want to change the date. I like Qantas as they are always very accommodating with changes.

Setup over there today looks very interesting. Not sure what to make of it for tornadoes. It would be a better set up for tornadoes if the low level shear was more directional.  The SPC are calling it a 10% prob.   
« Last Edit: 27 December 2008, 11:11:38 PM by nzstorm »
Steven Williams
Storm Chaser

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #159 on: 29 December 2008, 11:50:48 PM »
Those winter set ups in the US are very similar to the winter/spring set ups here in NZ. Big dynamics, high shear, low CAPE.  No good for storm chasing.  Western Australia gets a similar thing in winter.
Steven Williams
Storm Chaser