Author Topic: NSW/VIC Severe Storms: 30-31 Jan 2008  (Read 41204 times)

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
Re: NSW/VIC Severe Storms: 30-31 Jan 2008
« Reply #30 on: 03 February 2008, 03:44:34 AM »
(thursday arvo 31st jan)As the line moved NE it intesified over the central sth west suburbs , this shows lowering which lasted 10 minutes (that i could see) , i was not chasing and had no mobile as it had suffered from a rare microburst which occurred between my arm and the concrete the day before and ended in the phone dispursing itself over a wide terrain after a disageement with partner over my choice of chasing days.

« Last Edit: 03 February 2008, 04:19:10 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #31 on: 03 February 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
G'day all,

Nice to see some great structures around the place (well, from the Sydney region anyway? ;) ) I'd give my right arm to see some decent build structure in the way of an inflow shelf or a nice RFB at the moment! I think the wind shear is still too weak and possibly something amiss in the temperature/DP department out this way?

Looks like the storms will be around for a couple more days so I'm praying for something a little different in the numbers to show up.
Cheers guys,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #32 on: 03 February 2008, 11:20:28 AM »
Severe storm  over Sydney 31-01-2008,
Around 6.30 pm I noticed a decent base developing over South Parramatta  so I decided to head down to the local park . Upon arriving I was greeted by a dynamic rippled rain free base with the precipitation curtain advancing  from the south. Cg’s could be seen and definitely heard to the leftof the very low rfb. Deciding to get a better vantage point to photograph the advancing front from the eastward facing side of the park  some greenage was seen. Inflow scud heralded some quite close cg’s from a higher cloud base. The roar of approaching rain on factory rooves plus cg’s spread out over a 180 degree front meant the car was the only safe haven. No photographs of cg’s were captured, only some dramatic base structure which hopefully I can post. Cheers, Con.

« Last Edit: 03 February 2008, 02:02:09 PM by vrondes »

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #33 on: 03 February 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
Photos from 31-01-08 Sydney storm.

Under the developing base

Rippled base

Cheers, Con
« Last Edit: 03 February 2008, 02:25:18 PM by vrondes »

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #34 on: 03 February 2008, 03:56:58 PM »
Interestingly enough, here at Rydalmere I had a lot of outflow scud heading away from the storm at high speed before the main band came over. The main part of the storm travelled to my east through the Ryde area looking at the radar, but as it approached from the south the scud was heading in a NW direction with lots of CGs to the south. A few good ones seen but nothing caught on camera.

Jeff Brislane

« Reply #35 on: 04 February 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
Nice close up structure in those photos Con.

Chase Report January 31st Penrith

I didn't venture out earlier but I did shoot photos of the structure from home which I then deleted by accident later on! I went out and shot some lightning after the main cell had moved north. The cell I photographed was riding the southerly in towards Penrith and even though it only produced sporadic lightning, they were quality multiple bolts. Unfortunately I didn't quite have the camera pointed in the right direction so I only got half of the best bolt. Doh!!! >:(

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #36 on: 05 February 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
Couple of video stills from the balcony: All looking south-west.

Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com