Author Topic: Storms (incl dust) and Rain NSW / QLD / VIC: 12-14 October 2009  (Read 11329 times)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Hi guys,
Thought I'd kick off a thread for today and tomorrow as there's a bit of nice weather around the Eastern states today.

We are currently in the throws of another severe dust storm! The wind gusts are forcing the power lines to hit together and shower sparks everywhere!

Most of the storm activity seem to be around the Collarenebri / Moree area so far. I can't see much storm wise here due to very heavy dust coverage.

I'll be watching over the next few hours.
Take care if you chase!

Shauno.
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: Storms (incl dust) and Rain NSW / QLD / VIC: 12-14 October 2009
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2009, 12:29:12 PM »
We have the chance of a storm in Brisbane and SEQ tomorrow, quite a hot day ahead and the storm cast didn't look to bad.  
It appears that dust storms may be the new fad over the next few weeks/months:) we need the rain! In saying that, Sydney, according to WZ, is having to date its fourth wettest October in 20 years.

Here's to  hoping

Col.

Late edit: Dust storms have been predicted to reach Brisbane by Wednesday morning .
« Last Edit: 13 October 2009, 03:51:42 PM by Colin Maitland »

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2009, 01:54:35 AM »
Well it might have been quite wet to start October so far this month, but it certainly hasn't stopped the raised dust this morning. Nothing like the big one a few weeks back but there is definitely a yellow tinge to the sky  once again after strongish westerlies last night. Somewhat clearer to the west so it may be clearing out over the next few hours as it did the other week.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2009, 01:59:11 AM »
Some dust in the air Northern Rivers region again this morning.

A line of storms managed to pass through here between 11pm and midnight. There was rain ahead of the lightning so I was not enthused to set up the camera - though would have caught a couple of bolts had I done so. A few anvil crawlers about as well. Disappointingly only 2.6mm of rain from it.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2009, 02:07:35 AM »
As I was writing a late edit on the  previous post last night, I noticed a line of storms on the radar, they eventually came over about 11.30pm (QLD time, always behind:)), much the same to report as Michael Bath's line of storms. There were a couple of good long rumbles that shook the house.

We still have a forecast for some storms today, hot, 32C and there should be a lot of moisture being dragged up from last nights storms. See what happens.  

Col

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2009, 02:09:14 AM »
bit of dust in the air in sydney
you can just pick it out on sat pic

« Last Edit: 14 October 2009, 02:38:05 AM by Michael Bath »
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2009, 09:41:20 AM »
Storm warnings have been issued by BOM for SEQ and the Wide Bay district at 2.01pm.

It is very black just to the north of me at Bracken Ridge. It is 34C and gusty. So we will see what happens.

Col

This is the 3.10pm issue
« Last Edit: 14 October 2009, 12:31:29 PM by Colin Maitland »

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2009, 11:29:06 AM »
Just got the edge of a cell here nice heavy cold drops of rain (very shortlived though), interesting to look at it had some nice mammatus which i took a couple of pics of. (excuse the quality taken from my camera phone)
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2009, 11:48:16 AM »
Hey guys although we have missed out on the thunderstorms here today I was still able to capture some snapshots of the storms northeast from us. The first 2 are outside my house looking east this was a cell north of Byron Bay.

In the next one I decided to go to the lookout and snap some in the open. One thing though because of this dust haze quality is not the most perfect it is just a little murky. Looks like the dust is here for tomorrow as well. Had some thunderstorms pass over us last night at round 12:30am and we has dome cracking thunder for about 20 to 40 mins. Looks like southeast Queensland is going to enjoy the storms today.

storm boy

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2009, 11:53:56 AM »
Now here is the severe storm warning update from Bom and radar showing the thunderstorm that came through last night and the developing ones this afternoon.

See : 128km Radar Loop for Brisbane, 07:00 12/10/2009 to 07:00 13/10/2009 UTC

storm boy.

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2009, 01:46:21 PM »
It was, as you would expect, quite oppressive. Throughout the day there was times where the humidity fluctuated (which added to the oppressiveness). Plus add the dust and you could see why today wasn't shaping up to be the best.

We missed out on the bulk of the activity during the afternoon, although a squall line came through a couple of hours ago and dumped a measly few mills. Apart from this, we were treated to a semi active light show. All in all, not a bad set up.

P.S I forgot to mention we had some thunderies last night as well. No rain out of it though.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2009, 02:06:50 PM »
A little bit of an over rated storm unfortunately, there was nothing spectacular to report around this area, I took plenty of photos, but I wont bother posting any, they just look like your average storm.  So far there has not been any reports of damage.

The positives from the storm were 
1. the temperature dropped from 34C just before the storm to 26.5C, so that was refreshing after a top in Brisbane of 35C, and
2. we received 10.2mm of rain in Brisbane and 14.2 mm in Redcliffe. 

Tomorrow more dust is expected to arrive in Brisbane and surrounding areas, although at this stage not as bad as the previous dust storms from a few weeks back.

Col

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
Im guessing that these dust storms are going to become a much more frequent event in our everyday weather as in one month there has been 3 dust storms 2 minor but still. C’mon rain

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2009, 07:57:47 AM »
Well the dust storm is not as bad as a few weeks ago that’s for sure but it still is reducing visibility in a big way. Very soon the sun will be behind thicker dust that in the pictures below that I took at round 2pm today from Ballina Northern nsw. Also to note the wind is very very gusty.

stormboy

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #14 on: 15 October 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
So is the dust storm coming this way or not? I can't really see anything (even on Satellite). Even yesterday was more dustier.

Conditions are much the same as yesterday. Just a whisk cooler and less wind.