Author Topic: How can chasers/moving observers assist the Bureau of Meteorology  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Given the last two snow events and under-forecasts, David Croan and I recently discussed that there could be better means of assisting the Bureau. This thread aims to encourage concepts on how we can assist the Bureau of Meteorology with observations - be it snow, storms, floods and bush fires - well these are the main issues.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 15 June 2007, 09:13:16 AM by Michael Bath »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: How can chasers/moving observers assist the Bureau of Meteorology
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2007, 02:04:53 PM »
I would also like to see regular storm spotter courses to aid the bureau.  The severe weather section here is far too busy during the wet season to hold courses during the day and making inquiries to the bureau re courses gets no results.  Here as in other states there are dedicated individuals who want to chase seriously to provide the bureau with updated/real time observations of what they see in the field and to report it back to them.

The storm spotting network through the bureau simply gives us a spotter's number and to report any severe weather damage in our 'local' area.  Well, I don't personally chase in my local area and am further out than where i live and have seen severe weather observations which would alert the bureau of the impending storm system at least 40- 60km from Darwin.  Now how do I let them know what I have seen?  I would like to be able to compile reports, using observation techniques/charts etc, realtime radar using wireless internet on the laptop and photos in real time and submit them to the bureau through an organised spotting process via online that would allow the bureau to update warnings for the CBD and rural areas on the spot.

Perhaps with the help of the ASWDF something could be drawn up with input from members and be submitted to the BoM and see what their reaction is?  This observation sheets/report log could be forwarded to all state BoM centres or through the head office and get something kick started and refined to meet their requirements.

There aren't too many serious chasers in Darwin - in fact i have never encountered anyone observing storms where I go - and that's all over the place chasing the strong systems, perhaps they are staying local - i don't know, but i agree that something should be done to assist the bureau. 

So my initial ideas would be :  (1) Online link to this site with the BoM for moderators to have firsthand contact re observations from chasers in the field that report to this site for passing on.  (2) The introduction of storm chase log notes designed by both chasers and BoM that can be forwarded after storm/weather events for review.  (3) Pre-storm observations and recording that can be rung in to a specific number to the BoM while the event is happening and not after the fact and this line could be strictly used by qualified chasers only so not to cause unnecessary congestion and time wasting.  (4) Invite experienced chasers to sit down with bureau personnel every three months to review weather reports, brainstorm and give input.

I know each state is different and locations will be a factor, but to centralise chaser's reports into one avenue and make it uniform as much as we can in all states that want to participate.

I'd be keen to help out with any plans anyone has and contact the BoM here. 

Mike
« Last Edit: 21 June 2007, 05:38:32 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Robert1984

« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2007, 06:12:56 AM »
I know this may seem like a long shot but why not allocate a UHF radio to each BOM weather station and give them a dedicated channel so they can broadcast weather warnings to chasers,moving observers,truck drivers,farmers and so on, should a storm be spotted then a chaser/moving observer can radio in details about its location and direction moving

Yes it may sound like a far fetched or expensive idea but its one which is worth a try  :) 

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2007, 07:48:54 AM »
There is one member from the Bureau who joined in previous days - perhaps that person may have some concept of what may work in terms of communications. Most can contact the Bureau of Meteorology number (which will remain anonymous please) using the mobile phone. How will the radio network be it UHF or HF assist the besides the fact there could be slightly longer conversations? The problems without license requirements is that trouble makers can get in on the channel and wreck the whole communication if the line is dedicated. Now I know that I have been told that you can almost create a type of dedicated line - not sure of the full technical details nor should they be discussed in detail on this particular thread.

I know in the United States, it is down to an art and the Skywarn network as well as other storm chasers really do provide incredible data from both regional and urban areas. I was also contact to provide more details about hail size in a remote agricultural area - I must say I was astonished but I guess the purpose was also to verify the warnings.

The concept of the radio in the Bureau of Meteorology as well as a form of communication between storm chasers have been discussed before. Paul Graham also tried to pursue amateur radio but this involves all participants getting a license. I for one could not be bothered using a formal form of communication if it requires a licensing system.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 24 June 2007, 08:11:01 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2007, 11:34:37 AM »
There's also the beaureaucratic headache of privacy laws covering the use of the radio also to a government agency.  If we had a dedicated band of chasers with radios that were linked to the BoM i think that would be perfect, but you'd have to have a one person point of contact to the BoM rather than have a dozen people trying to talk over one an another to the BoM.  Perhaps radio contact could be directed to person(s) nominated to report directly to the BoM on behalf of the information the nominated person receives.....

As for the dedicated phone lines - well we've got them anyway and most of the time you leave a recorded message unless you have a mainstay contact to talk to direct and live.

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Robert1984

« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2007, 04:28:06 PM »
Thats true Mike but in the country areas such as the Lower South East Of South Australia we use UHF CB Radio for day to day communications being that were in a rural area so using UHF during a storm chase would be a good idea although as per mentioned theres the added headache of privacy laws with dedicating a radio band for Chasers-BOM communications

Although using UHF CB in rural areas wouldnt be a bad idea all you really need to do is have a CTCSS  code for the chase channel that way other radio users cant interfere with communications during a storm chase  :)   

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2007, 01:33:51 PM »
I guess the more experienced chasers with contacts in the US and with SkyWarn could brainstorm some ideas whilst keeping in line with Oz guidelines and the like?  I'm sure there's been some discussion re this with the moderators.  I don't have the contacts as our moderators do, all I can suggest is what I've posted - i'd like to but I've probably got ideas that have been done-to-death already.

Different states would have to linkup with different Met officers who would be on duty during storm months.  I have two contacts here in Darwin whom i converse with - I might chat to them and see what they think.  They might have some ideas to throw about.  One contact is a chaser also so that's handy.  Both work in the severe weather section during the wet season.  I'll keep the forum posted as to what I can get going up here and if some ideas get tossed around then I;ll certainly post them here for review.

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com