Author Topic: May 19 - 23, 2007 - Tornado Alley  (Read 28420 times)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Re: May 19 - 23, 2007 - Tornado Alley
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2007, 01:17:42 PM »
Congratulations to everyone who intercepted and observed these beautiful storms. These are the days that we dream of !!! :)

I was watching VIS and radar this morning (NSW time) and it looked very impressive. Awesome to see what it looked like on the ground !

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2007, 05:45:29 PM »
The storm chasers are in town!  I think there are a lot of us here in Hays this morning. Just had a young boy ask for my autograph. He loves storm chasers! ;D

The NZ team chase (2 vehicles) was similar but we got split up near Hill city and saw different sides of the storm after dark.
We arrived in Hays to tornado sirens and a fire truck and police car driving round town advising people to take cover. I put the car under cover as we got hit by base ball hail ealier near St Peter.  The storm was as Macca describes, incredible, horizontal rain/hail. The thunder was so loud it made you jump.

Earlier in the chase we saw a number of funnels and a good spin up on the ground under that jaw dropping meso. Technicaly that was a tornado although there was no condensation funnel. A fantastic chase.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2007, 10:20:41 PM by nzstorm »
Steven Williams
Storm Chaser

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2007, 06:46:25 PM »
We saw one good spin up on the ground under this meso.

Steven Williams
Storm Chaser

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2007, 06:50:27 PM »
HP looking supercell on the approach to Hays. The lightning on this storm was incredible.

Steven Williams
Storm Chaser

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2007, 03:48:12 AM »
Great pics there Jimmy and Steven - what a storm!

Today, I have only just checked the current situation and don't have time to look a what has happened up to now. Softball hail reported from a large storm in Lipscomb County, tornadoes already logged at SPC and a tornado warning current.

624 PM CDT WED MAY 23 2007

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 645 PM CDT FOR LIPSCOMB
COUNTY...

AT 621 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A TORNADO. TRAINED SPOTTERS WERE REPORTED A ROTATING WALL
CLOUD ABOUT 12 MILES WEST OF LIPSCOMB...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2007, 07:00:04 PM »
Hi,

I think you will find the storms were typically HP supercell and some conditions did not eventuate. Progged low level shear values were not as impressive as expected.

Nevertheless, I certainly liked the structure of the storms and how the storms rapidly developed supercell structure. Warnings began from ping pong sized - next warnings base ball sized hail. Reports of over 4 inch hail did occur. My report follows.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Pictures from the 23rd May 2007 chase. Eventful from a structural perspective - otherwise the tornadoes were hard to come by.

Headed south towards Perryton, Texas and I knew we had to be there fast

Rotating wall cloud SE of Perryton (first tornado warned storm?)

View of the supercell in Wolf Creek Park, due south of Perryton

Supercell trying to wrap W of Libscombe - perhaps the few spin ups mentioned - have suspicious activity video

Further north

We emerged from the E side of Libscombe and look what emerged from the rain - awesome! I really like this structure.

We had pizza in Perryton than attempted to intercept the tornado warned storm approaching Libscombe. We would not have made it and the water across the road - we did not attempt to cross being night.

Full photo set here:
http://australiasevereweather.com/photography/photos/2007/jd20070523.html

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 26 May 2007, 01:27:16 AM by Michael Bath »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2007, 07:40:17 PM »
Great photos there Jimmy.
Our experience of Wednesdays storms was very outflowy HP's with lots of scud. Not a great chase day for us given our expectations.

Steven Williams
Storm Chaser

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2007, 10:26:12 PM »
Hi,

Although not the best photograph due to not using a tripod, this photograph coincides with the "possible tornado" 6 SW DARROUZETT 7:39pm CDT during the late afternoon / evening period - perhaps 10 minutes later. We had strong ESE inflow during this phase:

A few possible tornadoes and definite funnels though will have to view video to see what really was going on. I would not bet on it. We have scored a few dents on the car panels after entering the notch but it was worth the photograph opportunity as well as observe the circulation.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 25 May 2007, 10:41:10 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2007, 10:44:34 AM »
Hi Aussie and NZ chasers here in the US,

The storms and perspective as well as that from other chasers are absolutely awesome. That includes the brilliant photography. Great to see people having fun. I think it is time to place a target to meet for ANZAC BBQ!

Just one more thing un regards to the 23rd May event, as we approached the first Tornado Warned storm from the north, we came from under it and carefully allowed the eapidly rotating circulation to cross over the road - very low to the ground and interesting to note the precipitation patterns ahead of us. Once we could see it was virtually clear we made a quick exit.

A little before this picture was taken:

Rotating wall cloud SE of Perryton (first tornado warned storm?)

We shall see the video I guess.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2007, 06:56:12 PM »
Hi all,

After the awesome day in Kansas, another day set up in the NE Texas panhandle.  We dropped S from Hays and got data at various spots on the way S to try and pick where convection would initiate.  We decided that the NE panhandle would be the place to be and within minutes of deciding this, the first towers broke the cap.  Within 30 minutes, the storms were warned for baseball hail.  Talk about rapid explosions!  We managed to squeeze between two of the 4 cells just as one of them became tornado warned.  We drove under its flanking line with the wall cloud not far off to our N.  This cell had a decent crack at trying to put one down but we didn't see anything connect with the ground. 

The next cell down the line (the beast!) quickly went HP and cycled over the next 4 hours producing numerous wall clouds which were rapidly wrapped up in rain and large hail.  You could try and get in the notch and see if it was going to produce or you could actually wait behind the wrap around and after about 10 minutes or so, the rain/hail wrap around would clear and the wall cloud would come in to view again...although at this point it was fully wrapped in cooler air.  There have been several reports of tornadoes from a handful of chasers who were in the notch and we probably have video of several funnel clouds but we stayed out of the hail and watched from a "safe" distance.  Although with this storm, no where within 15km was safe with clear air CG's frequently smashing out well ahead of this storm. 

Again the structure was magnificent.  I don't know what I'd do without my 10-22mm lense now :).

We eventually blew off this storm just after sunset and headed south to Canadian, Tx to get accomodation as we knew it would be a circus later on to get accom (as has since been evidenced by the Kiwi's having to go all the way to Amarillo).  Another storm had developed back down near Borger, Tx before sunset and it soon became the dominant storm.  With the strong shear and dynamics in place, this storm quickly became tornado warned.  We decided to watch from where we were as we were fairly exhausted from the last week of chasing and boy...what a show it put on.  Anvil zits/crawlers every 1-2 seconds with overall lightning rates probably in the 2-3 flashes per second vicinity (not quite the 4-5 flashes per second from the previous two nights but still very nice!).  The structure we saw pass about 8-10mi to our NW was awesome.  A huge bell-shaped meso was evident under this cell and it was no wonder it was tornado warned.

Pics from the day here...

http://macca.bsch.au.com/gallery/20070523

Macca & Chris