Author Topic: Cold and Snow over the Southeast : 8 - 12 June 2009  (Read 20631 times)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: Cold and Snow over the Southeast : 8 - 12 June 2009
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2009, 04:07:15 AM »
Pretty cold in QLD. Brisbane yesterday reached a MAX of 16.5C, which for us, is quite cool, last night Brisbane airport had a min of 3.4C.

This morning ( 12/06/09)  some of the SEQ min were:

Oakey         -5.3C
Amberley     -2.5C
Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast  1.5C
Coolongatta  2.5C
Stanthorpe   -3.6C

Looks like more snow for the Alps on Monday.

happy snow hunting,

Col

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #16 on: 13 June 2009, 04:26:29 AM »
I had seen reports of -5.8c in Canberra yesterday morning, and it has been hovering around the zero mark in Mooroolbark (-1c this morning at 4am).
Feels very icy cold - good to chill the 6-pack!

About 5cm of snow did fall in Kalorama (Mt Dandenong) on Wednesday morning - provided plenty of interest for residents there.

Also, max temps here have not gone above 11c all week.

Big Pete
(with an extra shirt under an extra shirt under the work shirt and jumper) BRRRR!

PJJ

Offline David Brodrick

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Oz Forecast
« Reply #17 on: 13 June 2009, 07:00:23 AM »
A friend who lives near Killarney Gap between Narrabri and Bingara reported some sago snow/graupel on Wednesday morning. I am not sure of the exact altitude but I would estimate this is only about 600-800m ASL. I haven't heared any reports of snow on Kaputar - conditions have mostly been clear here - but I expect Kaputar may have also had a light snow fall on Wednesday morning.

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #18 on: 13 June 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
prepare for yet another freezing night as the following towns will expect temps to drop to:

Armidale -- -4
Gyura    -- -1
and some very cold conditions in the se QLD northern rivers area too with lismore expected 1 tonight and lets see if another snow falls at Armidale ay.

Storm boy

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2009, 09:22:45 AM »
We got down to -1.2 degrees c at 4:30am with a light frost this morning. Currently temperature is at a huge 7.9 degrees. It would probably be bearable if it weren't for the stinging breeze. It doesn't seem to matter how many layers of clothing one wears, the wind goes straight through.
There is a fantastic photo on the front page of todays Border Mail of a spider's web lightly dusted with frost.
With light rain and showers forecast for the next few days hopefully the nights won't be so cold.
I never thought I would miss the west coast SO much!!!

Offline Jason(pato)

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2009, 10:08:37 AM »
Was nice and icy at 330am this morning when i left for work. There was a nice coating of ice on the neighbours cars, which could be seen glittering like diamonds in the streetlight. Unfortunately I wasn't at home on daybreak to see if there was any frost around, but according to my wife there was some in the neighbours yard. After checking my AWS records I noticed the temp got down as far as 0.3 degrees so nice and chilly. The overnight minimum are expected to remain in single figures for the next few days, but mostly between the 5-8 degree mark so no frosts again for a little while yet.
South Lismore, Northern Rivers NSW.....Supercells are us!!

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #21 on: 13 June 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
A very cold day in the ACT today

Severe cold spell hits Canberra
Tom Saunders, Friday June 12, 2009 - 17:30 EST
Canberra shivered through one of its coldest days on record on Friday with the high reaching just four degrees by 5pm, eight below average and potentially their coldest day in 43 years.

South of the city Tuggerong was even colder, reaching only three degrees, which could be their coldest day on record although the site has only been recording since 1996.

The surprise cold snap is the result of a very cold night followed by a cloudy day.

"After dropping to minus two degrees early in the morning a persistent layer of fog and low cloud completely blocked out the sun and prevented the temperature from rising like it normally would" said weatherzone.com.au meteorologist Martin Palmer.

"But we can't confirm the coldest day in 43 years until 9am tomorrow because a meteorological day is 9am to 9am" said Palmer.

Nearby towns were also trapped under the fog with highs reaching just six at Cootamundra and Gundagai and seven at Wagga Wagga.

More cold weather is forecast during the next few days but further near record lows are unlikely.

- Weatherzone

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/severe-cold-spell-hits-canberra/12106
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: Cold and Snow over the Southeast : 8 - 12 June 2009
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2009, 05:01:37 AM »
Cold temperatures for 11 and 12 June 2009

Some of the coldest temperatures so far this year occurred on Thursday 11 and Friday 12 June. A few localities across New South Wales from various weather stations via Weatherzone showing the minimum and maximum temperatures have been selected as shown.

Locality                             Minimum temperature   Maximum temperature

Albury
Thursday                            Minus 2C                   9.6C
Friday                                Minus 1.3C                 8 C (3 pm reading)

Armidale
Thursday                            Minus 5.3C                 9.1C
Friday                                Minus 7.0C                 14C (3 pm reading) (That is a 21C difference)

Bathurst
Thursday                            Minus 4.2C                 7.8C
Friday                                Plus 0.3C                   13 C (3 pm reading)

Cabramurra
Thursday                            Minus 7C                   2.1C                     
Friday                                Minus 3.8C                 3C (3 pm reading)

Charlottes Pass
Thursday                            Minus 7.6C                4C
Friday                                Minus 11C                 4C (3 pm reading) (The difference is 15C)

Dubbo
Thursday                            Minus 0.9C                10.8C
Friday                                Minus 2.4C                14C (3 pm reading)

Glenn Innes
Thursday                            Minus 4C                   10C   
Friday                                Minus 3.2C                15 (3 pm reading) (That is a difference of 18.2C)

Goulburn
Thursday                            Minus 2C                   7.2C
Friday                                Minus 2C                   9C (3 pm reading)

Oberon
Thursday                            Minus 3.3C                 4.5C 
Friday                                Minus 2.3C                 8C (3 pm reading)

Orange
Thursday                            Minus 3.2C                 6.2C         
Friday                                Minus 3.5C                 10C (3 pm reading)

Tamworth                         
Thursday                            Minus 3.2C                 11.8C
Friday                                Minus 4.4C                 16C (3 pm reading)

The difference between the minimum temperature and maximum temperature in Tamworth for Friday is 20.4C.

The Daily mean Minimum temperature plot for Thursday 11/6/2009 is produced from "Water and the Land" - (Agriculture and Natural Resource Management) (Bureau of Meteorology) at http://www.bom.gov/watl/index.shtml then heading "Temperature". Various plots can be produced here for temperatures. The plot shows inland New South Wales and Victoria away from the coastal fringe experiencing cold or very cold conditions on Thursday morning.

The cold conditions extended into Southern Queensland as well. The coldest regions for Thursday morning were:-

North East Victoria and parts of Southern New South Wales where minimum temperatures fell to between minus 3C and minus 6C.
A small area in the Snowy Mountains had minimum temperatures less than Minus 6C.
Northern Tablelands of New South Wales where minimum temperatures fell to between minus 3C and minus 6C.
Much of inland New South Wales experiencing minimum temperatures of between 0C and minus 3C.
Large areas of inland Victoria experienced minimum temperatures of between 0C and minus 3C.

Concentrating on South East Australia, only the coastal fringe of New South Wales and Victoria escaped the minus temperatures.

It is also noted that parts of Eastern South Australia and Tasmania also experienced a cold Thursday morning in which minimum temperatures dropped to below 0C.

Harley Pearman

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Cold and Snow over the Southeast : 8 - 12 June 2009
« Reply #23 on: 15 June 2009, 04:39:48 AM »
Thanks for the updates and pictures illustrating this particular cold snap. As promised, I have finally got onto the pictures I took of the frost on June 12th 2009. This was not as spectacular as the previous morning.

-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)