Author Topic: Lightning strikes over water/ocean  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning strikes over water/ocean
« on: 07 March 2007, 06:55:43 AM »
Here's something to ponder and perhaps get some answers.  In other lightning topics we've mentioned re small spikes eminating from objects on the ground - as in blades of grass, fence posts, poles etcetera - and that photos show the link between the 'connection' from cloud to ground or visa versa.

Now, considering CG strikes over water - is there the same type of evidence/photos to show the same event occurring over a body of water???  Is it a case of that the ocean itself is a major conductor and pathway and is just a natural 'magnet'.

What affect does a strike have on water?  If you are in a metal dingy fishing and a strike hits close to you why aren't you electrocuted as in the case of standing in a puddle of water and getting struck - you certainly would be electrocuted, so why is there a difference? Does the body of water being so large dissipate the electrical discharge over a wide area thus negating the electrocution?

(Glad i asked this in fact!!!)

Mike   
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Jeff Brislane

Re: Lightning strikes over water/ocean
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2007, 01:34:31 PM »
John,

I would have thought that the ocean as a whole is itself a ground and not nessecarily the sea floor beneath it. I would think that the bolt would fry anything close by but would dissapate quickly due to the vast size of the body of water. And isn't salt water a good conductor and a better conductor than fresh water?

Jeff.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2007, 09:03:52 AM »

Also it has been recorded that where iron ore bodies lie in shallower water lighting will often ground itself at that point.

I guess I'll pass on the opportunity of snorkling around shipwrecks then during thunderstorms:)

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
Hilarious, Jimmy!  Where the bolt it that day the area is about 20metres or deeper.  The channel that the ships come through here is very deep, even at a -0 tide!  I'll dig up some more info re this if i can.  Interesting answers though!

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14