Author Topic: Central NSW Storms 6th - 8th Feb 2007 - Lithgow/Mudgee/Scone Supercells  (Read 145857 times)

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
Re: Central NSW Storms 6th - 8th Feb 2007 - Lithgow/Mudgee/Scone Supercells
« Reply #45 on: 16 February 2007, 09:21:01 AM »
Great video David - I enjoyed that.  That was indeed very impressive rotation and timelapse.  How long were you guys onto this cell?  Were there any specific variables that could've been better on the day for tipping this cell over into producing a tornado?

Cheers Brad and John, I think we (I)  will use video increasingly for chase reporting since writing is too time consuming. Hopefully, Brad,  just an 'appetizer' for what you will see in a few months !! I'd say we were on the storm, from the Mt Victoria lookout, if that counts haha, perhaps for 20 minutes and then another 20 minutes or so until will arrived at the location west of Lithgow. Shot video there for around an hour and i'd say another 20 minutes by the time we were back in Lithgow and finished there. Then another 20 minutes or so by the the time the hail had finished - all up between 2 and 3 hours I'd guess.

Tornado -  hmmm well the mid-level meso was evidently rather intense. There was decent rotation at the cloud base at times and an RFD notch visible as well at different times. The base was quite low over the terrain. I dont recall us ever being in outflow so can't speculate on the characteristics of the RFD (well temperature and dewpoint). In general, the storm was doing all the right things that as a chaser I have observed with tornadic storms. It just did not happen, well, if it did we did not see it behind 'them hills' east of Lithgow. Paul suggests that there may have been a weak tornado with all the scud west of Lithgow, although being a four eyes I cant say and have yet to check out my video on a larger screen.

Yes those photos are awesome Jeff - that meso photo reminds me of Pampa - Clarendon on May 15, 2003 Jimmy!!!

Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #46 on: 16 February 2007, 04:36:39 PM »
David, Great storytelling of the Lithgow supercell. Still photography is good at capturing moments in time, but for sheer atmosphere in conveying the  drama of a storm unfolding , you can't go past video to put everyone else in the picture. Wonderful informative commentary by all on the chase. And Jeff proves again that he is a master at photographing  mammatus. Cheers, Con.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #47 on: 17 February 2007, 05:20:27 PM »
In my previous posts, I concentrated on the supercell and did not finish the story I guess. Jeff, Matt, David, Paul and I met at my place for a tasty pizza and were greeted to the fantastic sunset.

Nick had asked what the hell were the photographs showing nothing haha. This is it. It does not do justice as to what we observed going down Scenic Hill - most likely a HP that follows and engulfs the classic supercell.

David has it in his video clip.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #48 on: 27 February 2007, 09:21:50 AM »
Who said there's nothing in the photos!!  Some nice mammatus there Jimmy, great colours to go with it!  I'm impressed!

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14