Author Topic: December Snow and El Nino  (Read 7612 times)

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
December Snow and El Nino
« on: 26 December 2006, 11:15:31 PM »
Quite typical for El Nino? Could you explain that please.

I suspect yesterdays cold outbreak over Victoria was part of a synoptic pattern induced by the current El Nino pattern. 
Our experience with El Nino in NZ is for unseasonal cool to cold outbreaks this summer. We are having what may end up being our coldest December on record!     

Steven Williams
Storm Chaser

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: December Snow and El Nino
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2006, 02:47:42 AM »
John and Steve,

Just as I am not condoning Steve's statements, I am not sure I agree with your's either. El Nino does not infer completely dry conditions. Alas, we do have precipitation for some of the period. To my understanding, El Nino, depending on the extent and its timing, is merely a climatic influence and should be used to generalise on a period of a few days.

A fairly prominent person who studies and creates his own models and seasonal snow forecasts by the name of Michael Scollay, suggests that El Nino years often create excellent snow conditions due to the drier air environment that the snow falls. That does not exclude colder nights that sustains the cover. This year may have been an exception but usually cold fronts passing over the Snowy Mountains can react with sufficient uplift to enhance precipitation. Our poor season was merely due to bad positioning with respect to the polar waves - New Zealand stole the show this season.

I did attend a talk recently at AMOS and from what I could understand from this farily tedious presentation was that there may be a possible connection between El Nino and the behaviour of the polar wave patterns.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 27 December 2006, 02:54:28 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Jeff Brislane

« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2006, 10:38:48 AM »
Australia is in fact located in a belt of high pressure that occurs at the same lattitude both north and south of the equator so we allready have high pressure, even in la-nina years.

The difference generally in el-nino years is not that we have more high pressure but that they are usually located further north and tend to be stronger.

In fact the trend of the high pressure belt being further north actually allows more polar lows to strike to southern states in summer so Steves comment has a fair amount of validity to it.

I can think of another season 01/02 where we had periods of persistant westerlies from lows coming up further north than they should have due to el-nino again. That season we also had bad fires.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2006, 12:19:39 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

FutureSnow

« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2006, 07:02:18 AM »
Jimmy invited my comment on this topic because of my experience studying what causes Aussie snow over the last 30 years or so plus my "model".
My Seasonal Snow Forecasting Model leverages off sea surface temperatures in the main coupled with an indexed bias that weights sectors around Australia influencing the airflow (energy balance), hence temperature and precipitation at a given location. El Niño and La Niña events that cycle according to the Southern Oscillation directly affect 3 of the 14 sectors in my model. Thus, an El Niño does not explain the total observed picture by any means.
At present, our South Eastern state's weather is significantly influenced by source air masses cooled by significant cold anomalies directly south and all around NZ. See:
http://www.bom.gov.au/bmrc/ocean/results/SST_anals/SSTA_20061224.gif
The polar wave tends to dominate this region and is cooling NZ as a result. When air masses originate from these regions in the wake of cold fronts before high pressure regions, the results on our SE seaboard are not hard to explain. NZ will not get a summer for December through to February. An early snow season for NZ is on the cards.
This cold SST anomaly will dominate our Summer at many times in the Eastern States creating the extremes just experienced. Coupled with what looks like a strengthening El Niño spells dry conditions inland with a weak Northern and Northeastern monsoon. The Northwest monsoon will be our saving grace in that it will provide a source of hot and moist air masses to "fuel" cold fronts on occasion. So it's not all bad, particularly for the NE of NSW and SE of Queensland.
The discussion about what destroyed the 2006 Australian snow season is one which I'm planning to present to AMOS/ASWA about May or June 2007. My model predicted this result precisely. Suffice to say that 2006 was not typical and that the more typical year of average to above average snowfall coincides mainly with a slightly negative SOI supported by a cold pool directly South and Southwest of Australia. This pattern encourages the polar wave to habitate Australia. Both strong El Niño and La Niña years spell the demise of our snow. The former for lack of suitable air masses and origin direction. The latter as it tends to wash out any snow that falls with a sequence of Eastern State troughs and East to North East dominant airflow.
I could discuss this topic ad-nausium, so it's time to stop for now :)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2006, 07:35:58 AM »
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the in depth explanation. I guess I was slightly also in the wrong or perhaps not specific that El Nino's tend to lead to good snow conditions. Or was it the quality of snow you were refering to Michael? In other words dry air cold overnight conditions etc.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

FutureSnow

« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2006, 10:04:44 AM »
Hi Jimmy,

As a generic answer to your question, the dryer and colder air masses will create the best quality powder snow, but we would need 4000m mountain ranges like the USA to take true advantage of this. If our Snowy's are to get any reasonable snow, the DP is up around 4C on the SW coast of Victoria in a blistering SW wind. By the time that air mass climbs the Snowy's, it's dumped rain on the coast, plains and lower slopes. The DP is -4 to -6 and temperature is the same (since the air is saturated) as it tops the main range. This orographic wave extends well beyond 500mb and provided the air mass has enough moisture to a great height, this is the territory of 40-60cm overnight dumps. When all this clears, the overnight conditions are always dry and cold. Change the originating air mass to one that comes from the E-SE and the DP is around 8. Consequently, there's a greater risk of rain and wet snow. Move it to the NE at a 12C DP and our snow is history.

Without referring directly to my detailed analysis to support my analysis, these conclusions are based on the position of the SOI in May preceding the season described:
Strong La Niña: Lots of snow and rain. In colder 1970's years, more snow. In latter 1990's years, more rain. Dominated by E-NE winds @ 8-10C DP at 1000mb means -2 to 0C at 800mb early in the season caused by a late N-NE monsoon, these subtropical origin air masses hit the Snowy's as mostly wet snow and rain. These are also years of mid NSW and QLD dumps resulting from cutoff low pressure regions. The Snowy's gets onshore E-NE winds as a result of this also.
Medium La Niña: Tends to more snow than rain with more W-NW than E-NE. Some spectacular wet snow dumps ahead of cold fronts can result from moisture-laden NW winds. Sometimes initial Medium La Niña conditions swing to Light El Niño by mid to late August improving the snow year to late season cross country skiing pleasure (1992, 96).
Light La Niña: Winters are becoming dominated by where the Polar Wave sits with a few moist NW and NE interludes. Lots of variable snow years, particularly with SE winds resulting in light wind dumps rather than the usual howling blizzards.
Neutral: Similar to Light La Niña. Some of the best years come from Neutral conditions.
Light El Niño: Notable years of this nature (1964, 68, 81) mostly exhibit an optimal polar wave with the most spectacular seasons resulting from snowy NW winds before and low DP SW winds after frequent cold fronts. Big snow drifts result from constant wind with little respite throughout the season.
Medium El Niño: Seasons are becoming dominated by dryer cold front preceding conditions with less rain. This factor otherwise may save a bad season since the air masses following are also a bit dryer resulting in light-dry snow fall. The polar wave can often favour NZ under these conditions and when this happens most of the snow falls from S-SE orographic air flow off the Southern Tasman Sea. 2006 is one clear example of this feature, but the precipitation distribution was more typical of a Strong El Niño.
Strong El Niño: These are most often dry years with an early snowfall followed by almost nothing but the odd SE outbreak. The Polar Wave favours NZ. 1982 is one clear example followed by 2006 being a surprise candidate despite it's slightly negative SOI.

Now there are some notable exceptions which I could point out from a more detailed analysis. These occur when SSTs SW and S of the continent dominate the position of the polar wave right over the SE of Australia.

Snow is not so much a direct influence of El Niño but rather one of where the air mass originates and what topography and land types it travels over before it hits the Snowy's from given direction. Yes, El Niño influences this and also does the geography of the regions in the path of incident air masses. As I've outlined above, there are some typical La Niña and El Niño trends to note but this is no guarantee for the stated snowy outcome. As the planet warms up, the likelyhood of air masses hitting the Snowy's from the optimal direction with the optimal moisture content, height and DP will unfortunately diminish but there will still be some spectacular dumps, just like XMAS and Boxing day on Mt Baw Baw.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2006, 10:08:32 AM by FutureSnow »