Author Topic: New website theme design  (Read 48956 times)

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
Re: New website theme design
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2009, 08:05:52 AM »
You too Mike? It looks as if you'll need to figure out a workaround.

I suggest to type your post in a word processor and copy it over to the post box so you don't lose track of where you're going. That's about the best advice I can give you.

As for the design. It's all about aesthetics as far as I'm concerned. People hate busy and crowded looking interfaces, and this is one of the things I want to set straight when working on the design.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2009, 08:31:53 AM »
Mike,

That issue which I think you are referring to may be related to the latest version of internet explorer 8. I cannot the bottom line once it is longer than normal - very annoying - it keeps boucing back to the top. There may be some settings in ie8 perhaps that may reset this or perhaps some override that Steve may have to look for to deal with in the forum. It is definitely not the new layout that does this.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2009, 12:08:56 PM »
G'day Steve and all

I have reset all computers, 2 work fine on the forum while  one of the laptops  (less than 2 years old) still persist with the problem.  I did a full recovery on it and restored it to original factory settings.  I have run Firefox and I still have the problem of the reply box being too far to the right and losing text as you type.  The laptop in question will not support this sight on internet explorer, the page layout is a mess and very difficult to navigate.

Mike,

That issue which I think you are referring to may be related to the latest version of internet explorer 8. I cannot the bottom line once it is longer than normal - very annoying - it keeps boucing back to the top. There may be some settings in ie8 perhaps that may reset this or perhaps some override that Steve may have to look for to deal with in the forum. It is definitely not the new layout that does this.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

I did not have this problem before the sight upgrade. In saying that, I am in no way blaming the upgrade, it could just be an absolute coincidence that this has happened at the same time.I will continue to investigate dipper into my side of the issue to see if there is a resolve. The reason for mentioning this matter again is just in case there may be a glitch somewhere on the forum. I have no issues with any other Webb page, and I visit many every day.

Now for the good news: the sight looks absolutely brilliant and very professional, it is a job well done. All should be proud of an excellent forum here.

Cheers

Col
« Last Edit: 16 November 2009, 12:16:26 PM by Colin Maitland »

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2009, 10:11:59 PM »
The matter of the screen disappearing whilst I type is of no real headache to me...i used to be a court transcript typist so I just keep typing untilt he words reappear in the box!! (like just now!).  Like I said, excellent upgrades guys...kudos to all your hard work.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #19 on: 06 December 2009, 12:01:20 PM »
Is anybody else having a log in error occur as they return to the forum?  When I return to the site after a morning session or later through out the day , I have to log  out then log back in, the password fails on the first prompt and I have retype the password the second time. I have set the page to "always stay logged in"  but it always returns the error on the next visit. Just cant seem to solve this one and was wondering if I am the only one.

Cheers

Col

Edit: I left the site for 2 minutes and had the same error

An Error Has Occurred!
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2009, 12:07:08 PM by Colin Maitland »

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #20 on: 06 December 2009, 12:44:16 PM »
I've seen the error but in my experience, it has been rare, especially on this forum.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #21 on: 06 December 2009, 01:12:54 PM »
It is continually happening, trying to see what the cause is

Thanks Steven.  I seemed to have developed a load page error, so I opened the forum from the http address, logged in, deleted  the old bookmark and  then created  a new bookmark page on Firefox and it seems to have solved the issue.  Just unfortunately, in all seriousness,  this is the only forum I have problems with, but there is always a way around it  and I end up laughing at the end of the day. Its all cool  :cool:

Cheers
Col
« Last Edit: 06 December 2009, 01:23:11 PM by Colin Maitland »

Offline Paul D

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #22 on: 06 December 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
Col I'm also running Firefox (think mines the older kitty version..)  and I have had a similar fault.

If I enter via the rest of the ASW site and click on the Severe Weather Forum Tab, the quick login on that page always comes up with a "You have not entered a password" error no matter what I do or how I get to that page. I have to click on the Login Tab on the same page and use that login which works fine. I just bookmarked that login tab page and it's all good. ( the quirk only appeared after the latest fourm update)

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2009, 05:16:27 PM »
Col I'm also running Firefox (think mines the older kitty version..)  and I have had a similar fault.

If I enter via the rest of the ASW site and click on the Severe Weather Forum Tab, the quick login on that page always comes up with a "You have not entered a password" error no matter what I do or how I get to that page. I have to click on the Login Tab on the same page and use that login which works fine. I just bookmarked that login tab page and it's all good. ( the quirk only appeared after the latest fourm update)

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

The fault that you speak of happens because your log in details aren't being filled out automatically like they are on the 'full' log in page (your browser automatically does this if you log in more than once). A workaround is to manually re-enter your username and password, then log in. It is something I'm working on along with a tonne of other updates that are bogging me down at the moment. I do apologise for the inconveniences.

Hey Col, you still having that Session Verification error?

Regards

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2009, 02:38:03 AM »
Hi Steven

I have solved that problem, as I posted before, I entered the site via www. and logged in, I deleted the old bookmark in firefox and set up a new bookmark. It works fine for the time being.

Still have problems with Internet explorer on this forum so I just don't bother using it.

The log in error that Paul spoke about happens no matter which way you try, either by entering your username and allowing it to automatically load your password, or by filling both in manually. Either way, it  will always take you to a error page and you have to resubmit your username and password. 

The Gremlins are hiding somewhere  ;D. Pesty little mongrels,they will be destroyed.  :afro:

As I said before, there are ways around for the time being .

Cheers

Col

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2009, 07:32:11 PM »
Hi Col,

Still have problems with Internet explorer on this forum so I just don't bother using it.

Versions older than Explorer 8 have trouble rendering websites that adhere to web standards. Not that IE was ever built to comply like every other browser out there was, but Microsoft has been forced to change their ways so it should get better with 8 and 9.

The log in error that Paul spoke about happens no matter which way you try, either by entering your username and allowing it to automatically load your password, or by filling both in manually. Either way, it  will always take you to a error page and you have to resubmit your username and password.

You're not wrong there, I just tried logging in via the top and I got the error, which is funny because it appeared to be working when I tested it a few weeks ago. Thanks for letting me know about this.

Regards

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #26 on: 08 December 2009, 02:45:46 AM »
G'day Steve'

Your welcome. This is just such a good forum and if everyone can provide needed feedback to help iron out the  few bugs that are left it would be excellent. Yourself, MB, JD are doing a great job and it is appreciated.

Thanks

Col 

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #27 on: 13 December 2009, 05:37:40 AM »
By reverting back to some of the older format it has ironed out most of the problems I was having. It is now back to normal with Internet explorer.

Well done.

Col