Author Topic: NSW / VIC / QLD Storms 20-26 January 2009 and whinge thread  (Read 80540 times)

Offline wol

• Multi-vortex F1
RE: NSW / VIC / QLD Storms 20-26 January 2009 and whinge thread
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2009, 10:36:15 AM »
Just starting to get some heavy rain here in Blacktown and a couple pics...

First pic facing North and second pic facing West.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2009, 02:38:11 AM by Michael Bath »
Wolter Peeters
SMH Photographer

Offline TroyVR

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • B.O.M Storm Spotter
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
hi all,

a couple of small cells passed over the Sydney basin last nite between 0030 and 0100Hrs EDT.   Went down to
the wharf at the end of the street and saw/photo'ed a number of good CG's and CC's  many others hidden in the
clouds.   
    The one that passd over the Sutherland Shire area was the most active.   Got a brief burst of rain at home ~
0100hrs

cheers
Dave N

we got some lighting and a few large thunderclaps in Miranda, but only 1mm of rain at my place.

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2009, 11:56:05 AM »
Interesting the current Sydney storms as they seemed to form but remain fairly stationary before dissipating. The one west of Parramatta then did a sudden merge with the one west of Liverpool (the Parra one was inflow dominated from the light rain direction here). After a while it reintensified just west of Parra before heading north and we caught the eastern edge of it.

Lots of lightning (mainly IC and CC) for over the last hour here but not that spectacular. Have had a few mm out of it here at Rydalmere, and about 2mm from the ones last night.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
Thunderstorm report (Prospect - Western Sydney 21/1/2009)

Looking west from Auburn at 5.10 pm, the thunderstorm west of Parramatta did not look too significant. Driving west, the rain slowly intensified. Once west of Westmead on the M4, I drove into the core and the rain was quite substantial. Between the Ettalong Road underpass and the Prospect Highway (Blacktown Road) underpass, the rain peaked in intensity. In this area that encompasses the suburbs of Prospect and Pendle Hill, the rain was very heavy. As I reached the Prospect Highway road turnoff, I drove out the western side of the thunderstorm into reasonably clear but cloudy skies.

I did not come across any hail, just very heavy rain and some wind being downdrafts but the wind was not damaging. I did not see allot of lightning either. Most lighting that I did see was intracloud.

However, as I was driving west on the M4 through the core of the storm, a traffic jam ensured most likely following a vehicle accident ahead of me. I turned off at Prospect Highway and went to William Lawson Park at Prospect to take some photographs of the storm. 

Rainfall figures from the storm includes:-

15 mm at Kings Langley.
14 mm at Seven Hills, Blacktown and Toongabbie.
18 mm at North Rocks and Baulkham Hills.
19 mm at Hornsby.
19 mm at Fairfield.
22 mm at St Clair.

The heaviest rain was strictly limited to an area west of Parramatta, then North East towards Hornsby and SW to Fairfield and Campbelltown but west of Campbelltown.

With Penrith and surrounds only getting 4 mm, the falls indicate that the storm rainfall peaked around Blacktown to Parramatta, Baulkham Hills, parts of Fairfield and SW towards Campbelltown. Areas east of Parramatta received very light falls of between Nil rainfall and 5 mm.

The photos below are from short video clips I took showing cloud structure. I could not get any lightning as lightning was too sporadic. I took these from William Lawson Park off Myrtle Street (Prospect) looking east towards the rear of the storm between 5.50 pm and 6.15 pm 21/1/2009.

Harley Pearman

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2009, 06:07:20 PM »
Report January 21 2009 Southern Tablelands and South Coast

I had planned to chase the region near Cooma from the previous day but decided the region around 36S along the coastal region may fire. It turned out that the region south of Cooma fired early in an explosive fashion - the road network and distance simply outdid the chase so I stuck to my target.

It turned out once again rather disappointing as anvil mania dominated. The cells that approached the Moruya region began to lose intensity and became rather cluttered. The storms overall seemed high based too.

My interest then concentrated on storms off the coast and I got some nice timelapse of this rapidly rising updraft.

All photos for 21 January 2009

Regards,
Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 28 January 2009, 05:39:46 AM by Michael Bath »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #20 on: 23 January 2009, 07:03:17 AM »
Just in  the last 1/2 or so (12.30pm Thursday 22/1), a few severe thunderstorms just blew up along a line from the north of my place to the se corner. Had a mm or rain here in a short sharp heavy downpour, but it only lasted 3 mins - quite a fair bit of lightning activity to my north (around Yarra Glen and Yea) and also to my SE (around Pakenham eastwards). SSW has been issued here, with possible hailstones to 3cm on the cards.
Because this area has been so dry this month, anything storm-wise could happen. The pattern of weather here is more like late spring than mid summer.
Also the wind has been very strong here. I'd love to get some shots of the clouds, but there's too much raised dust around, obscuring a good storm pic.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #21 on: 23 January 2009, 07:31:23 AM »
Just need to add - that a supercell thunderstorm is moving through Marysville (NE VIC) - it has had reports of 3cm hail, and the winds are gusting over 85kph there at the moment. Also watching other cells to the E of my home area - got 4mm with a quick storm earlier, but nothing since and the weather is clearing from the W-NW - and temps have dropped from 32c to 25c and still dropping in the last hour.

If anyone is chasing in the mountain area to the E-SE of Marysville - worth getting some pics, and for those living near W&E Gippsland - be prepared!

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #22 on: 23 January 2009, 07:57:12 AM »
Good stuff down there big Pete. The storm given mentioned as a supercell in the warning developed behind the main line and has now weakened, but that is a long line of quite intense storms.

Issued at 1:24 pm Thursday, 22 January 2009.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 1:25 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near the area northeast of Neerim, the area southeast of Marysville, Yarra Junction and the area east of Marysville.

These thunderstorms are moving towards the southeast.

Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.Damaging wind gusts associated with thunderstorms have been reported near Healesville. Some thunderstorms on radar have the characteristic structure of organisation (supercell thunderstorms) which can enhance severity. One in particular at 1:20pm near Marysville."

Here in Sydney, it  could be a sleeper. The actual sounding is not too bad, we are on the edge of the muck blanketing the NE 1/3 of the state and we're in need of something to light the wick!
« Last Edit: 23 January 2009, 10:51:36 AM by David C »
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2009, 11:46:40 AM »
All happening there David :)  Will have to get a copy

As an aside to the storms, there have been some impressive rainfalls in the North West Slopes with Mt Kaputar scoring 86mm to 9am and 63mm since. A few other sites around the Narrabri to Moree region have done very well.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
« Reply #24 on: 23 January 2009, 11:48:14 AM »
ROFL David, that's brilliant! (Where can I get a copy???)

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #25 on: 23 January 2009, 01:01:28 PM »
We're getting desperate down here James, MB :) 

That's a decent line moving through the southwest slopes, southern tablelands inc. ACT atm, although lightning is dropping off.

Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #26 on: 23 January 2009, 02:25:07 PM »
We managed to pretty much miss the storms this afternoon...how unlucky! They were all around us and full of thunder, but all we got was a few spots and a house full of dust! It has been very gusty and dusty since the line passed, and the sky is still a dirty brown. If you walk outside all you cop is a hot wind and a mouthful of dirt! Wish it would rain and settle it.

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #27 on: 23 January 2009, 03:04:50 PM »
Albury thunderstorm 22/1/2009

A review of the weather observation site for Albury has identified that a strong but shortlived thunderstorm hit the City Airport Weather Station from 4.12 pm to 4.30 pm. During this period wind gusts were sustained at 83 km/h but from 4.27 pm to 4.30 pm, peak wind gusts hit 98 km /h.

During this time 6.4 mm of rain fell and the temperature plunged from 31.4C at 4pm to as low as 21.3C at 4.27 pm but by 5 pm, the temperature had risen back to 27C and back to 30C by 6 pm.

During the period 4.12 to 4.30 pm, a strong but short lived thunderstorm passed over parts of the city, especially Lavington, Thurgoona and East Albury plus the airport. It passed over a weather station and hence gales to 98 km/h were recorded here.

(Data obtained from the BOM Albury Weather Station Airport site 22/1/2009).

A cluster of thunderstorms were evident in this region during this period and severe thunderstorm warnings were in force. Again many were hit and miss and mostly in rural areas but one passed over a weather station and thus there is data from it.

Furthermore, a narrow squall line continues to move through the Canberra - Queanbeyan region South East New South Wales between 8 pm and 9 pm moving steadily east.

Harley Pearman

Offline nmoir

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • "busting chases since 1999"
    • Oculi.com.au
« Reply #28 on: 23 January 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
he he awesome mate , a beginners guide to sunburn , i want a copy too
Nick Moir
Photographer
The Sydney Morning Herald
and www.oculi.com.au

Offline scottme

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #29 on: 23 January 2009, 03:53:32 PM »

Looks like Sydney might get a bit of late night action with the north end of the Canberra squall line, unless it dies coming down the range. Temps are still 26-28 degrees as of 10pm.