Author Topic: Sydney rainfall and storms 4th August 2006  (Read 6684 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Sydney rainfall and storms 4th August 2006
« on: 05 August 2006, 10:43:03 AM »
Hi,

I thought I was dreaming when I heard thunder today as the rain set in across Sydney and its suburbs. One clearly audible rumble of thunder occurred as the main band slid north northeast across the basin. Some decent falls occurred particularly along the coast one would expect.

What did you experience in your region in relation to thunderstorms and rainfall - let alone the cold conditions.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Jeff Brislane

Re: Sydney rainfall and storms 4th August 2006
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2006, 11:23:02 AM »
Hey Jimmy,

Can you believe I was actually out there walking this morning! I got absolutely soaked through and was so cold that my hands went numb and I could no longer enter numbers into my phone, plus my phone stopped working cause it got too wet! When I got home and looked I realised it was only 9 degrees when I was out there at 10 am!

I also heard a couple of rumbles and even saw a bright flash of intra cloud lightning right above me at one point! It's the first time i've heard thunder in Ausgust since 2003.

Jeff.

Offline Geoff Thurtell

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2006, 10:25:40 AM »
I was in Parramatta and did not hear any thunder. There was plenty of rainfall however. I wasn't carrying a thermometer with me but even in the middle of the day it was very cold.
Regards,
Geoff

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2006, 12:25:38 PM »
The waterspout video was a good one.  Goes to show that waterspouts can pack a bit of punch but it looked to fizzle quickly after making landfall.
Steven Williams
Storm Chaser

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2006, 02:28:52 PM »
that  "look" is a bit deceiving as there wasnt much for it to pick up and define the funnel
over land as there was with all the sea water lifted up prior to hitting land

the force of the wind is very evident in the way it ripped off that roof
look carefully as it crossed that grassed parkland and road just before lifting the roof
you can see the fast rotation being outlined by the small amount of moisture coming
up off the grass and road
brilliant footage  damn lucky cameraman !!!

cheers
Dave N

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2006, 12:20:43 PM »

Auburn had 5 - 6 thunderclaps and one was quite reasonable. A strong thunderclap occurring around 9.30 am. At the time I had the radars up and noted the rainfall intensity was in the dark to light blue range. I though it was nimbo stratus cloud about 60 x 60 km in area but after that thunderclap, I realised it was a CB.

If you looked at the radars at this time there was a single storm cell moving very slowly off the coast. It was powering up just off Royal National Park, it was sliding NNW and weakening over Richmond then collapsing. The core was small but showing up as yellow and red but it never came ashore. I noted the core stayed offshore. That twister / water spout would have had to come from that cell and it was moving very very slowly Northwards.

Auburn had 41 mm. Seven Hills 29 mm, Sydney Airport 71 mm Cronulla 89 mm indicating where the core of that cell went. It was more coastal.

Harley