Severe Weather Discussion > Australian Severe Storms, Weather Events and Storm Chasing

SE Qld / NE NSW Severe Storm Potential 15th October 2011

(1/5) > >>

Jeff Brislane:
Hi all,

I'll get straight to the point, tomorrow looks set to be a whopper of a day for South East Qld with the potential for a large hail supercell outbreak! I'm really impressed by the forcast and i'm seriously considering driving up there tonight! If anyones driving up from sydney let me know.

So far the forcast is indicating -8 Lifted index, around 2000-2500 CAPE, plebnty of turning wind shear and a nice dry slot in the upper levels. Batten down the hatches in Brisbane area tomorrow.

Jeff.

Michael Thompson:

--- Quote from: Jeff Brislane on 15 October 2011, 08:36:59 AM ---Hi all,

I'll get straight to the point, tomorrow looks set to be a whopper of a day for South East Qld with the potential for a large hail supercell outbreak! I'm really impressed by the forcast and i'm seriously considering driving up there tonight! If anyones driving up from sydney let me know.

So far the forcast is indicating -8 Lifted index, around 2000-2500 CAPE, plebnty of turning wind shear and a nice dry slot in the upper levels. Batten down the hatches in Brisbane area tomorrow.

Jeff.

--- End quote ---

I'd be there in a flash if work, family, petrol, time where not an issue. I agree hailers are certain. Reminds me of 19th October 2004.

Macca:
Certainly shaping up for a nice day up this way today.  I'm heading out and chasing to the north of Brisbane today.  Not exactly sure yet but I like the area which MT suggested on the other fourm of Childers/Bundy but I also like the area around Gympie (not ideal for chasing). Shear is pretty nice and the atmosphere will rapidly destabilise over the next 4-6hrs. 

Will keep you guys posted.

Macca

Jeff Brislane:
Things seem to be panning out a bit further south initially than the models were suggesting yesterday. There appears to  be two potential supercells along the border ranges, a larger high precipitation looking cell south of a line west of Kyogle and a more discrete cell north of Nimbin. If things go according to the models than more severe cells should initiate on the northern side of the line currently heading east towards the Gold Coast and north Brisbane and the sunshine coast hinterland should be in for lots of activity over the next few hours.

Jeff Brislane:
I should clarify that the current severe looking cells are on the NSW side of the border ranges.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version