Author Topic: QLD & NSW Severe Storms w/ Supercells, Large Hail, Lightning: 12-19 Dec 2010  (Read 59403 times)

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
Great shots Michael it was good to see what it looked like on the outer views, one last treat i guess until i head off to Sydney

Antonio.

Offline Hardy25

• Multi-vortex F1
Had intense power packed cell hit us at Bracken Ridge. Very quick but it had extremely strong winds.

Some amazing reports from a couple of chasers on the WZ forum. Waiting to see photos and reports later tonight and tomorrow.

The Gold Coast had a waterspout from the cell that passed through around 4.00pm this afternoon.

do you think this is a waterspout formed from water up or a tornado formed from a meso over water from the cloud base down

i cant tell the difference but was wondering if you knew [ its not like its as easy as the Sydney to Hobart tornado to identify]

and to everyone who posted photo's and information, thank you. Some of the photos are amazing and show structure you just don't see all the time, this was definably the outbreak of the season so far

Offline Mathew Townsend

• Elephant Trunk F2
  • Watching storms since 1998
Here the pictures of the storms during the afternoon at Modanville. We didnt get hard hit, just plenty nice rain and bit of gale force winds from the final cell.

The outbreak has ended by the southerly change came through. So next period is back into typical rainband days!!!

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Awesome storms once again.

Structure wise some of the storms over the past few days have lived up to Australian expectations. Great stuff!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
Here's a few shots of a cell to my north earlier tonight. That cell mainly consisted of CCs, and I mostly had an uninterrupted view until it started raining.

Not bad for a first attempt, but I hope I can do better in the future.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2010, 04:04:44 PM by Steven »

Offline Paul D

• Multi-vortex F1
Ventured to almost the same locations as yesterday and what do you know there was a storm there again...
Main difference today seemed to be the extra masses of lightning.

Storm over Kilcoy at 4:25pm

couple of video grabs of lightning (sorry Kane they pale in comparison... :-) )

Guster over Maleny at 5:05pm

As Steven mentioned plenty of sheet lightning over the coast.
Guster around 7pm

Cheers
Paul
« Last Edit: 18 December 2010, 07:21:00 PM by Paul D »

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
do you think this is a waterspout formed from water up or a tornado formed from a meso over water from the cloud base down

i cant tell the difference but was wondering if you knew [ its not like its as easy as the Sydney to Hobart tornado to identify]

I have to say I am not sure on that. I don't know if the cell was inflow or outflow dominant. I did not get to see the cell on the radar or doppler as it approached or hit. From where I live it was about 100KM away to the south of Brisbane. At the time of the storms approaching and hitting us I was having a new fridge and washing machine delivered,(why both went at the one time $$$$$$).It was difficult to get the fridge upstairs so between everything I lost 2 hours setting up and unpacking blah blah blah (not happy)  :mad:.

John Allen,( I think John is PHD ing on Mesocyclone ???)  MB and JD would be the best to answer or someone that knows.

It was another battering yesterday with more to come over the next week.

Cheers

Col

Offline Rodney Wallbridge

• Multi-vortex F1
    • Red Bubble
Hi all, snapped these while i was at my christmas party. Ran down the street with a P&S i allways have in the car. This storm packed a punch south of Ballina heavy rains and winds aparently. I was west of Ballina at Wollongbar on the hinterland.Great pics everyone!

Offline Simon McCombe

• Multi-vortex F1
Hi everyone. First up,just amazing photos and some cool videos too,well done. Wish i was there but unfortunately i had other commitments (work !) Took these photos on Thursday of what was happening out here so to give everyone a idea of what was heading towards the east and northeast. We had 1 storm that just clipped us but nothing exciting. Photos 4 and 5 show it approaching and they were taken 30 minutes apart,couldn't believe how quickly it came in! After finishing work, i travelled west to Boomi then up to Talwood and back to try and intercept anything worthwhile but no luck. Last shot was coming back and caught up with this one heading east between us and Moonie,lot of action high up for about 20-30 seconds before it would strike,with usually a few pulses as well. Hope you enjoy.   

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Further to my post on Thursday about the nasty looking bow echo near Wyong, I also noted an interesting feature on the windfinding radar from this storm. Have a look at the main part of the storm near Mangrove Mountain and note the moving black dot that is embedded in the storm - could this be indicative of a tornado?

I haven't seen any news reports but it is a fairly isolated area up there.

128km Radar Loop for Sydney (Terrey Hills), 03:00 16/12/2010 to 06:00 16/12/2010 UTC

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
Ok here we go, from the Merriwa to Tamworth region:

No. 4:

Many great storms pics here, esp. inluding that footage of Wols near Penrith with the storm looming almost overhead, but Shane (and Phil) are in the gold medal position, Australian edition, in 2010!!! -- That is just a beautiful sculpted supercell up near Gunnedah, actually the best structure I have seen anywhere, outside of the US, for quite some time. May as well both hang up the tripod now and retire :) Great stuff guys.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline pingtang

• Multi-vortex F1
    • Southcoastweather
I agree David, a Stunning set of photographs from Shane and Phil, Great stuff!!!! Fantastic supercell structure.  Lovely work from the rest of you guys as well! I dont care what anybody says, it was outbreak of the season as far as im concerned and not just NSW.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
A bit of action to the north of us can be seen on the radar at present. We could see some more storms roll in through SEQ and Brisbane a little later today.

STW issued by BOM:

For people in parts of the
Central Highlands and Coalfields,
Central West,
Maranoa and Warrego and
Darling Downs and Granite Belt Forecast Districts.

Issued at 12:05 pm Saturday, 18 December 2010.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, very heavy rainfall and flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Roma, Mitchell, Injune and Augathella.

Col

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
Yes Col, the edge of that Sunshine Coast/Wide Bay activity is clearly audible here. It's the Wide Bay's turn for activity today ahead of the advancing trough.

Offline nzstorm

• Elephant Trunk F2
Many great storms pics here, esp. inluding that footage of Wols near Penrith with the storm looming almost overhead, but Shane (and Phil) are in the gold medal position, Australian edition, in 2010!!! -- That is just a beautiful sculpted supercell up near Gunnedah, actually the best structure I have seen anywhere, outside of the US, for quite some time. May as well both hang up the tripod now and retire Smiley Great stuff guys.

I have been admiring that pic as well.  If I saw that on the Kansas plains I would be celebrating a good day! The cell looks like it is just turning outflowy in the photo with some scud emerging.

Great thread guys.
Steven Williams
Storm Chaser