Author Topic: SA / VIC / NSW / QLD Storms: 26-29 November 2008  (Read 58576 times)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Re: SA / VIC / NSW / QLD Storms: 26-29 November 2008
« Reply #15 on: 28 November 2008, 08:14:58 AM »
Here's the radar loops for the afternoon of the 26th and overnight to the 27th.

---> Moree 128km scale loop

---> Moree 256km scale loop

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2008, 08:19:47 AM »
Intense left moving thunderstorm, (I would almost certainly say a supercell) on Woomera radar heading east will pass just to the south of Maree. 200km out and with black on BoM radar at 3:00UTC. There is really juicy air to the north around Moomba with dps ~ 19 or 5C higher than around Marree. Problem is no obs, no radar....who knows.

Might have been worthwhile afterall Tim!
« Last Edit: 28 November 2008, 08:35:13 AM by David C »
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline teckert

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2008, 09:37:23 AM »
hehe....
Here are some VERY impressive obs from Maree!!!  :o
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDS60801/IDS60801.95480.shtml

128km/hr wind gusts!!

Looks like it may have caused damage to the AWS as its no longer reporting...
« Last Edit: 28 November 2008, 12:02:32 PM by Michael Bath »

Offline Carlos E

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #18 on: 28 November 2008, 09:56:02 AM »
Ugh, that's gotta be some strong downbursts.

I was hoping Adelaide would get some activity for once. :(

Offline teckert

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2008, 10:25:09 AM »
Storm just off the metro coast now Carlos.... ;)

I see melb have some massive storms atm....

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2008, 11:41:54 AM »
Sydney radar is ineresting at the moment with 2 severe warned storms (both well west of the metro area) heading NNE (near Bathurst and Bilpin). While another cell near Jenolan is tracking ESE. Unfortunately that one seems to be weakening as it goes or it might have managed to hang a bit of a left at some point and give me some action here. Other good cells firing up west of Goulburn though so there is hope. And yes, Melbourne radar looks interesting at the moment though.

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2008, 02:39:41 PM »
Copped a few good storms in Melbourne this arvo. The cell that passed over Clayton (SE suburbs) - left 15mm in 25 mins with flash flooding causing problems and a few CGs cut power to homes in the area.
Drove in the coach through heavy rain from East Doncaster to Nunawaing, and after work drove on Eastlink from Canterbury Rd thru Ringwood Bypass in storms with large rain drops - very heavy again.
Reports from colleagues of 2-3cm hail falling for 5 mins in Burwood East and Glen Waverley.
Without a decent digital camera, caouldn't get any pics. Was greeted by 3 crawlers when the first storm arrived around 3.40pm in Ringwood looking south.
The severe warning for Central is now cancelled, but still remains for gippsland and NE alpine regions of VIC - nice mushroom type cloud set in sunset backdrop to the NE from home affecting the Mt Buller region - they've had 20mm in 10 mins from recent storm.

Fro those out there in these storms, please take care.

Big Pete
(btw - these storms are not unusual for this time of year - late Spring/early Summer is severe storm season for Melb and NE VIC)
PJJ

Jeff Brislane

« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2008, 02:40:14 PM »
I was out earlier watching the likely Low Precipitation Supercell that tracked north east from Kurrajong towards Newcastle. It sure was a nice looking uypdraft for quite a long time and it died in typical L.P. fashion and I'm keen to see some images from closer up.

Tonight there was another nice left moving cell that just hit Katoomba. It had a nice pendant shape on radar and is also likely a supercell. As are quite a few other cells today in N.S.W., S.A. and Victoria. Another notable cell struck Crookwell head on and I hope Michael Thompson was down there!

Regards Jeff.

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
« Reply #23 on: 28 November 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Couple of very nice storms in Melbourne region, just hope Brad got onto them.

So John, do you want the good news or the bad news? haha.  Its official - you are the Victorian jinx!  We certainly had some very good storms here this arvo and evening.  Discussion on WZ forum was for conditions were up to -5 LI's and cape around 1000.  With cooler air aloft, Melb and surrounds had some high reflectivity storms and a few with relatively large hail reported contributing to the reflectivities.

I observed est. 2cm hail on the Tulla fwy in Melb inner NW at 16.30'ish from a short lived cell shortly after reports over the radio of 'ice cube' size hail covering the boutique shopping strip of Chapel St Prahran on the other side of town which fell from a strong persistent cell.  Cant say I've heard the NOAA radio in the USA warn of 'ice cube' hail before!  As I drove home on the Northern Ring Road I observed high based storms with large scale suspended hail shafts to the NE.

At home an hour later and convection was in full swing.  There was constant rumbling from a messy cell overhead in the northern suburbs and at 17.45 I witnessed a powerful 'canon' cg land amongst the Bundoora shopping area with an immediate LOUD crack of thunder.  It was the first CG from this storm and I had a feeling it would be the last - it was.

I made my way north to get out of the suburbs, expecting further development away from the seabreeze.  Sure enough I was greeted shortly with a developing cell with a few CG's, the occasional CC and tall hail shafts.  It was moving easterly as expected and fast development saw this cell organise and take on some physical characteristics that got my attention including some obvious inflow features and even a hint of corkscrewing as it interacted with another cell which was raining heavily ahead of it to the east.  Scud developed from below and lowered the base of the storm significantly as it approached Whittlesea.

I arrived in a sunny Whittlesea 5 mins after the storm and observed widespread hail fog (have not seen as much in Vic before), hail drifts on the road, grass and in the fields.  A minute or so further into the town and water was lapping at the sides of the road.  I didnt stick around to see if there was any flooding in town because the cell was looking quite impressive to my right (east).  My observations as I was driving were a possible ever-growing inflow tail (bordering on a beaver tail but still not sure) to the north of the cell, base features that appeared to become more significant below the updraft region and what appeared to be a flanking line to the south (again not sure about this).  I got a few quick snaps without stopping and although I new the terrain to the East was not good for chasing I decided I had no option but to try.  Alas, apart from fleeting glimpses of the cell which impressed me, I never got another good chance to assess the true nature of this storm as it moved into the ranges despite chasing it for over an hour to Healesville in Melbournes NE.

Here are my only pics.  The first few show the hail fog, drifts and flooded roadside.  I've included a pic that is badly blurred but it gives an idea of the hail cover in Whittlesea.  The rest show some of the features of the cell as I drove. Disappointed not to bag some lightning at dusk or after dark, oh well.

hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Brad Hannon

• Thunderbolt Tours Group
  • Stove pipe F3
  • Colorado Beast - 2nd June 2005
« Reply #24 on: 28 November 2008, 04:56:26 PM »
and another few pics as the storm moved east into the ranges and out of my reach :(
hmmm June 2nd......

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #25 on: 28 November 2008, 05:00:35 PM »
Hi guys,

Was not able to get onto the LP supercell that headed towards the Cessnock area this afternoon on time. Took the family along so that slows things down - traffic also did not help. I should have stopped near Mulbring for a quick picture - the structure was half decent here.

Here are some pictures (including the cell heading to Muswellbrook). The cell breaks down in true LP fashion so although the cell was small, the latter picture shows a much smaller shrinking and weakening LP. I have a few minutes of timelapse showing the demise! It should be able to show the rotation.

All photos for 27 November 2008

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 29 November 2008, 02:46:40 AM by Michael Bath »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2008, 02:37:03 AM »
Mike Fewings has added doppler and 64km images where available to his archives:

http://radar.strikeone.net.au/?fuseaction=loops.select&displayitem=1

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Michael Thomas

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2008, 02:58:59 AM »
Great stuff, nice LP supercell there. I guess that an LP supercell is not too surprising given that the main thing lacking yesterday was low level moisture. Certainly lapse rates were very steep and shear was quite strong with excellent turning from the surface to 2km or so. Sounds like an excellent storm in SA as well. The obs for Marree Airport are very interesting, the winds were gusting over 100km/hr for 15min which is quite impressive. LCL would have been very high with the obs showing 37/15 which gives a LCL of almost 3000m. This probably helped enhance downdraft strength.

Today also looks interesting. Out west in the upper and lower western districts LI's are forecast to get to around -7. In this area speed shear is very strong, however, there is no turning in the lower levels. Personally, going off the latest GFS I like the Riverina and SW slopes. Around this area GFS has quite deep NE low level flow. This results in excellent shear and combined with some decent CAPE could give some quite nice storms. Attached are some forecast soundings for 03z and 06z, they are not the exact same location but pretty close.

There are certainly other places worth keeping an eye on as well (such as the northern rivers and mid north coast were shear and low level moisture are good, but warmer air aloft) as there is at least some instability forecast for almost the entire NSW.

Michael

« Last Edit: 29 November 2008, 04:14:15 AM by Michael Bath »

Offline habs

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #28 on: 29 November 2008, 04:28:15 AM »
Some photos from my chase out to orange-bathurst area yesterday.

These are of a supercell that was just east of Black Springs

Matt

Offline Kristy Norman

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #29 on: 29 November 2008, 04:30:08 AM »
We currently have a severe thunderstorm warning coming across the Riverina. Yesterday afternoon we copped a storm about 3:30pm, and almost choked on the dust before it hit. Lots of CG's and booming thunder. Rain would be really appreciated here, It's so dry.  I don't think the farmers will be able to tough it out another year, bit sad here really. But things are looking good for today.