Author Topic: NSW, VIC & QLD Storms 7-8th November 2008  (Read 10723 times)

Jeff Brislane

NSW, VIC & QLD Storms 7-8th November 2008
« on: 07 November 2008, 11:10:47 AM »
Hi all,

I though i'd start a thread for potential thunderstorm activity over the next two days. Although it doesn't look like we're going to see much in the way of powerfull storms as it looks like being to dry for that, we might still see some high based storms drop some damaging dry microburts in any area's that receive activity. The Triangle between Dubbo, Bathurst and Mudgee tomorrow looks like it will see some action, let's hope it's not in the way of fire starting lightning strikes.

Regards Jeff.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2008, 08:21:45 AM by Jeff Brislane »

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: NSW, VIC & QLD Storms 7-8th November 2008
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
We have had high based showers to the north today and another nice cumulus developed glaciated but has since died just 10 minutes ago.

We need moisture!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2008, 01:07:44 PM »
A wide spread rain event has been crossing northern Victoria worthy of mention here too. It is significant given that the best falls are occurring in the areas hardest hit by the big dry. The best falls include up until 6.30 pm 7/11/2008:-

Murchison 30 mm, Rochester 25 mm, Shepparton 24 mm, Violet Town and Arcadia 22 mm, Bendigo 19 mm, Benalla 17 mm, Greta West 16 mm, Deniliquin and Yarrawonga 15 mm, Kerang and Swan Hill 14 mm, Mildura 13 mm, Wangaratta and Albury/Wodonga 12 mm.

While no torrential rainfalls have occurred the spread of it is significant because just about the entire northern area of the state and southern NSW have had something from it and still getting something useful from it.

Falls have been allot lighter outside this general region. At least the best falls have occurred where it is needed the most.

I have not seen any thunderstorm activity embedded in it but further north away from the rain band, some scattered thunderstorm activity is occurring around the Alice Springs area.

Harley Pearman

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2008, 02:21:18 PM »
Funny, but I remember "hearing" the BoM forecasting storms tonight in Melbourne - well, hellllooooooo!!! No storms, but very good heavy showers of rain occuring as I write this post (8:18pm). Plus in the last 20 mins, the winds have picked up here - hope to post a pic on the current conditions in a tick...

Big Pete: see below for the pics.

PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
Append:
The first pic is from my car when leaving work in Nunawading VIC, and the other two are from home before dark.

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Harley Pearman

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2008, 12:13:03 AM »
Northern Victoria - Best rain event in a while

Drought stricken northern Victoria would be rejoicing as the rain band has delivered a worthwhile soaking especially in the northern country and north east. A long time coming for this region.

The rain band has decayed by 6 am. However totals in some areas must be the best this year. Excellent and worthwhile totals include:-

Mt Buffalo Chalet 71 mm, Chesthunt 57 mm, Hardcock 55 mm Albury/Wodonga 39.6 mm, Runnymede 37 mm, Avalon Station 36 mm, Shepparton 34 mm, Benalla 31 mm,  Kyabram 30 mm, Wangaratta 27 mm  are some of the best.

A large swathe across northern Victoria has scored from 25 to 40 mm. It is noted that such rainfall events delivering these totals have been rare of late.

In New South Wales Griffith has scored 22 mm, Yanco 19 mm and Wagga Wagga region 17 mm. Beyond far south west NSW and Murray / Riverina, falls taper away sharply.

Alice Springs:

I mention in my previous post that thunderstorm activity was occurring in the Alice Springs area. This morning I learnt that one storm passed over town dumping its best fall of the year with 31 mm at Wigly Gorge, 30 mm at Mt Lloyd, 23 mm at Charles River Big Dipper and 20 mm at Alice Plaza. The thunderstorm passing over Alice Springs did cause power blackouts and localised flash flooding but no significant damage.

Melbourne:

Melbourne's Eastern suburbs scored between 13 and 19 mm. Late Friday, a narrow rain band passed across the city bringing some moderate but brief heavy falls to some areas. Melbourne's north and west received less than 10 mm but the east received higher totals.

Late Friday, I noted some general weather alerts in place across Victoria and near Melbourne relating to the wind change and was reading about gales to 90 km/h in some locations.

South east Queenland

An area of thunderstorm activity continues across inland SE Queensland at 6 am. That event is still unfolding.

Harley Pearman

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2008, 01:28:22 PM »
Just had 17mm in pretty short time as weak storms / showers passed through, Only saw one CG directly with a few in the clouds. Max rain rate was 78mm/hr at 7.10pm.

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2008, 07:15:39 AM »
these storm cells created quiet a variety of weather events in this one the wind went from 0 to like 60km in a few mins

heres the pics