Author Topic: supercell records around Mackay since 1990?  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
supercell records around Mackay since 1990?
« on: 01 October 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
Do any of the forum members have any stats or a link re confirmed supercells around Mackay or north Queensland since 1990? 
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Re: supercell records around Mackay since 1990?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2008, 06:58:09 AM »
Hi Mike, et al.

That's a good question. I wondered if there were any chasers in Nth QLD area? I'm sure they get some nice wet season storms up that way!

*on a similar topic, is there a way to graph supercell storm frequency or the area's most likely to receive them in Australia?
Just for a rough example: Red for most frequent (NE NSW - SE QLD) orange for lesser frequency (E/SE - S NSW) yellow for minor occurrences etc.
I'd like to see or possibly research this (and try) to create one if it's realistically possible? I can also bet that you are all thinking exactly what class of supercell are you talking here? Well.. all of them lol! 
I guess it might be hard to judge the more remote area's of Aus. like Central or Northern WA. Finding info on areas further West than here in NSW like the Bourke to Broken Hill region might also prove to be difficult? I know they occur out there from reports of large storms and their resulting damage on here, but not very often so I guess placing those area's in a 'less prone but can and do occur', would be the right thing.

Kindest regards,
Shauno   
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2008, 08:15:07 AM »
You could probably use occurrences of hail 4cm or larger as an indicator of possible supercells as they are the storms most likely to produce hail that large. The same old problem will occur though: storms are under-reported in the sparsely populated areas, so if you have access to the BoM's storm spotter database you'll get many more reports along the East Coast than elsewhere.

regards, Michael
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2008, 03:08:21 PM »
...on a similar topic, is there a way to graph supercell storm frequency or the area's most likely to receive them in Australia?
Just for a rough example: Red for most frequent (NE NSW - SE QLD) orange for lesser frequency (E/SE - S NSW) yellow for minor occurrences etc....

Shauno,

I'd think if that were the classification then every five to six years a yellow code would be needed for VIC - esp in N Country and NE Districts of VIC - that's where the severest of storms occur here. (and Bendigo seems to be a prime target during Nov/Dec each year)

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2008, 06:50:52 AM »
Hi guys,
Thanks kindly for the info Big Pete! I will note that down, though if it's the part where the severest storms occur wouldn't it need a Red classing? [this is where I really need to go over things in order to give a decent classing system ie. frequency vs severity etc.

Upon Michael's suggestion I had a quick glance through the Storm Spotters records on the BoM and found it very interesting (though it seems a little lacking due to limited reports I guess?) What I will attempt is to go through them in detail and note the large hail 4cm+ and actual SC reports then go through the threads here and correlate the info if I can. I expect it may take a little time but it will be worth it just to gain the knowledge :D

Mike: How did you go with the original Cairns/Mackay SC information?

Kindest regards,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.