Author Topic: NSW & S Qld Severe Storms: 19-23 September 2008  (Read 90899 times)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: NSW & S Qld Severe Storms: 19-23 September 2008
« Reply #90 on: 26 September 2008, 05:14:12 PM »
Hey Julian - some awesome structure in those pictures. Exactly where was it you caught those? Never seen one like that myself, though have had mammatus and also some amazing lightning displays years ago when I used to work on the 31st floor of a building opposite Hyde Park in Sydney that had great views.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #91 on: 26 September 2008, 07:38:49 PM »
Welcome Julian to the forum and congrats on your first post!  Superb images and I rather enjoyed viewing the screw shape of the supercell in the last few images - just awesome.  Glad to hear you got your first decent supercell - I'm jealous as hell of course.

Look forward to seeing more of you and those images.  Well done and welcome again.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #92 on: 26 September 2008, 11:12:06 PM »
Hi guys,

It was easier to wait down this far to congratulate and welcome all those who participated in recent chases. The supercell in particular was absolutely awesome whilst it exhibited the striated appearance.

A couple of good weekends across east Australia.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

JulianR

« Reply #93 on: 27 September 2008, 02:17:48 AM »
Hi Guys,

As promised, the pictures from Sunday, 21/09/08 ... Enjoy :)

Crisp Updrafts starting to shoot upwards as the cell increases in intensity on radar (Rathdowney Area)

Anvil now starting to overshoot - still looking the part on radar at this stage (Rathdowney Area)

Cell now starting to give off some photogenic structure - Angry RFB starting to show its might

At this point, we got a lovely little surprise visit from Rodney Wallbridge - Jeff Higgins was off in the distance somewhere as well

Cell now starting to give off classic HP SC tendancies - beautiful structure in this pic - Outflow was extremely cold here!

I can't get over how magnificent this looked in the flesh - so awesome to experience

Bit of lightning @ Rosewood - As we set up our cameras the lightning became shy :(

For full size images from both chases please goto http://julian.bsch.au.com/pics/200908/ and http://julian.bsch.au.com/pics/210908/

Cheers,

Julian

shanesmp

« Reply #94 on: 27 September 2008, 04:59:53 AM »
Absolutely superb there Julian. I love no. 6 picture in your first post, perfect textbook SC with meso and wallcloud. Thanks for sharing mate and welcome to the ASW forum :)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #95 on: 27 September 2008, 05:51:55 AM »
Hi guys,

Welcome Julian! I couldn't think of a better way to join up here than with stunning images of a fully fledged supercellular storm's lifecycle! Great Job!

What a weekend to start the season of with :D

I'm still coming back most days to stare at, and study the pictures! As I'm doing again now lol!

What a "monster plow" of a shelf cloud that SC had! Unreal.

MB: All those other lightning images are fantastic! The only hard part now is which ones do you hang on your wall? ;)

Take care,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

JulianR

« Reply #96 on: 27 September 2008, 06:09:03 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your warm comments - glad you have enjoyed the pictures. Hopefully the season will not shy away & give off some more beauties as we draw closer to the end of spring & start of summer :)

Cheers,

Julian

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #97 on: 27 September 2008, 06:35:42 AM »
Hi Julian, thanks for posting those reports and beautiful storm photos! Be great if you contribute over the season ahead :) Certainly off to a great start in NE NSW and SE QLD. 2005 was the previous active September in this part of the world but not to the extent of the events we've had this month !

Off-topic – but if you want to see the full report and more pictures of the Mothership Supercell of 30th March 2003 – here is my report. There are stacks of reports in the Storm News section of this website you might like to browse through.

Shauno - yeah - lots of nice ones from that Sunday night !

Regards, Michael
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #98 on: 27 September 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
All supercells, but that one from a few years back is all high precipitation. This one that Julian and Anthony have provided pictures of is low-precipitation during what I consider the really impressive stage tending to 'classic' later on. In scale it appears a much smaller storm but very impressive structure!  I agree with Shane -- look like a nice wall cloud too!
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com