Author Topic: Ridiculous comments and statements  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Ridiculous comments and statements
« on: 04 February 2008, 03:10:52 PM »
Hi  guys,

After a basically stupid comment was posted in the comments regarding the You Tube section of the tornado at Dunoon, I thought I would open a thread up here to encourage correction of obviously misinformed observers. Please attempt to place the offending remarks in the quotes using the insert quote button when writing the message.

Here is what was stated:

BeefyPorker25 (1 minute ago) Show Hide Marked as spam

Austalia's largest tornado to date was, believe it or not, the Mary River tornado in the "tropical" Top End.
This tornado was classified an F-3 and totally mowed down Mary River Rangers Station, near Kakadu.
The event was caused by the early stages of Tropical Cyclone George's development within the monsoon trough, March 2007, which spawned massive supercells right across the Top End.

My response:

I don't believe it.
I can assure you that although that tornado was strong, the stronger tornadoes that have been recorded in Australia are within the F-4 and F-5 bracket. Respectively, they are the Bucca, Qld tornado November, 1992 and the Bulahdelah tornado January 1970. the Bulahdelah tornado produced a path width of up to 1.6km wide. I hope that helps.

Regards,
Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Ridiculous comments and statements
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2008, 07:42:03 PM »
 The BoM stats confirm that Bucca probably topped 300km/h so you are correct.  But this person's reply to the aforementioned post actually confirmed what you said re the Bucca tornado, so it's a bit unfair to label it a stupid post given you agreed with the research they obtained from BoM agreeing with you and thus correcting their initial post about the Mary River event.

No point having half the answer if the other half agreeing with you is missing!

I'm not taking any issue or sides so please don't be offended.  I do know this person online and they have a limited knowledge of such things storm related and tornado related...in your defence I will say that the attitude is swayed somewhat towards 'Tropical storms rule' without actually having any storm chasing experience!
« Last Edit: 25 September 2008, 08:04:58 PM by Mike »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2008, 01:24:28 AM »
Mike,

He had since responded with a pleasant reply and acknowledgement.

He was the one coming in for the kill making claims that this tornado was one of the worst in history. If he has limited knowledge, then he should tread arefully when coming on my YouTube with comments about the Dunoon tornado than with something like that. I just made a point because it came out with some arrogance at the time and a point it was Northern Territory. There is no place in this forum or any in the science of storm chasing for pushing points that one region is better than the other - one of my pet hates. It is not a competition - it is science.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2008, 02:44:48 AM »
Indeed, a case of not expanding one's view of all weather events worldwide and especially in this country.  There's no single location that takes priority nor one that should - when walking the line re tornadoes in this country and claiming things - well it's high noon, so they'd better duck when they pull the six shooter out at yourself given your experience!.

Thanks for that.
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
Hi Jimmy, Mike, et al.
Good point there Mike about Jimmy being ready with the tornado knowledge "six shooters". I would encourage all to ask before jumping in if they are unsure as to what claims or statements they are trying make.

There's always someone ready to help out with anything no matter how small a point it may be! I myself have found this out many-a-time :D

Cheers guys,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Robert1984

« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2008, 09:13:55 AM »
The one best way to find out the biggest tornado to have ever happened in Australia would be to look in the Disasters Database on the EMA website 

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2008, 07:33:55 PM »
Thanks Robert and Shauno.  I believe the forum chase reports and stats would hold such info on 'the' tornado held in Australia, also given the length of time elapsed from the chase records there's something in there to find I'm sure.

StormscapesDarwin.com

Robert1984

« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
Being a BOM storm spotter its my duty to fill out storm report forms even though its all done online now i still fill out the paper versions for keepsake despite the fact that there hasnt been any actual severe storms in my area lately worthy of reporting

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2008, 02:48:32 PM »
Seeing this is a good title - maybe someone could describe to me what a "mini" tornado is? As far as I can tell, and from all the good forum folk here have told me, this term is a ridiculous statement - it is either a tornado or not a tornado. Any further comments would be helpful?

Big Pete
PJJ

Robert1984

« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
The term "Mini" tornado isnt a tornado at all its a microburst or gustnado as these 2 happen during severe thunderstorms and sometimes the winds associated with a microburst or gustnado can often reach wind speeds which are in the class of either F1,F2 or F3 tornados