Author Topic: VIC SE Storms Including Melbourne 26th January 2008  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
VIC SE Storms Including Melbourne 26th January 2008
« on: 27 January 2008, 11:07:19 AM »
Hi All

Noticed 3 storm cells have fired up around the Port Phillip Bay region in Melbourne. Two are severe, with potential for large hail. One is heading from Brighton towards Pakenham in the SE (its south of my home position right now - very dark). And the other is further south heading through Frankston as we speak.

The radar doesnt show much at this stage, but I'm sure there will be more before the evening is out. The BoM has put severe thunderstorm warnings in place.

My father, Barry, lives in Box Hill, and he has heard strong and long sounding thunder rolls to the south of his house.

I'll be keeping a watch on these through the night.

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: VIC SE Storms Including Melbourne 26th January 2008
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2008, 01:02:56 PM »
The storm cell going towards Berwick at the moment, has dropped 4.6mm of rain in 20 mins in Mentone area, when it first started out. Unfortunately I have not been able to capture any pics of this cell as it is too far south of my current vantage point.

However there are further storms brewing in the west of the State and some to the SE region of South Gippsland that some of the Vic storm spotters could look for a good chase with. Current temps in Melb are hovering around 33-34c, and there are some scattered storms between the outer western suburban fringe and southeastern Melbourne - the pic of the bunch in the south east near Berwick. It does have some good circular cloud action, but just too far away for a good pic on a small camera-phone.

Also, Frankston received 10mm in 10 mins from an earlier severe storm around 4.30pm.

Big Pete
PJJ