Author Topic: Hurricane Igor a powerful category 4 hurricane!  (Read 6735 times)

Hurricane Igor a powerful category 4 hurricane!
« on: 15 September 2010, 10:00:17 AM »
Hurricane Igor a powerful category 4 hurricane!

Hurricane Igor remains a powerful category 4 hurricane as it continues to move due westward south of the subtropical ridge entrenched over the North Atlantic, but is expected to re-curve in the next few days and miss the Leeward Islands.  The latest NHC adivsory estimates maximum sustained winds of 120 knots in the eye wall of Hurricane Igor, down slightly from an earlier maximum of 125 knots because of a recent eye wall replacement cycle, but the new larger eye looks textbook and very crisp on water vapor.  Given the very warm ocean waters currently in the immediate path of Igor, I would not be surprised if re-intensification occurs over the next few days before the turn to the north toward Bermuda is initiated.  I'm currently in Puerto Rico waiting to deploy after a Carribean hurricane, but it looks like I'll have to settle for some bigtime wave action on the north and east side of the island by Wednesday.  I'll be posting pictures and video in a few days if the waves are intense enough, or if a deployment to Bermuda is in order!  Stay tuned for updates...

http://www.tornadovideos.net/component/content/article/1-latest-news/1276-hurricane-igor-a-powerful-category-4-hurricane

« Last Edit: 15 September 2010, 12:44:22 PM by Michael Bath »

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
Re: Hurricane Igor a powerful category 4 hurricane!
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2010, 06:28:13 AM »
Igor is still out in sea but you can see him very well here http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/satellite/goes/tropical-atlantic/caribbean-vis.html

Antonio.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: Hurricane Igor a powerful category 4 hurricane!
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2010, 01:09:51 AM »
Hurricane Igor cat 4 has now an accomplice in Hurricane Julia who is also a cat 4(the fourth cat 4 storm this season.)
Upper level wind shear should steer both systems northwards and away from the USA mainland, the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands. The main threat to land at this stage is the Island of Bermuda.