Author Topic: Good storm spotting or chasing viewing spots  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
Good storm spotting or chasing viewing spots
« on: 29 November 2007, 09:58:53 AM »
Mike - thanks for the tip on the boat ramp, hadn't scouted that location before so went and and had a look over the weekend and it looks like a top spot.

Hopefully we will bump into each other in the near future !!!

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Good storm spotting or chasing viewing spots
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2007, 09:42:16 AM »
There's a couple of others, Adrian - and those who live in Darwin reading/visiting this perhaps - Myilly Point is good for the northern suburbs views at the 'lookout' next to the Paspaley families homes on the point, Deckchair Cinema park area near the wharf is good for Mandorah storms, Larrakeyah - there's a nice little viewing area tucked away down a side street off the road going to the navy barracks, the view is great for shots of storms zapping the city and fish feeding area.  Vesty's Beach area behind the darwin lawn bowls club is pretty neat also.  Have not taken shots there as yet but have 'cased' it out previously!  Rural areas are much the muchness, any open area!

Would anyone like to post some comments re their favorite areas to take photos in their state?  You don't have to give away your personal ones by the way, even I've got those that are secret!!!!

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2007, 11:51:26 AM »
Hi Mike,

I always thought using Google Earth co-ordinates was a great way of showing an area used to photograph from, it's just unfortunate that alot of places are only in a low res scan? I should make time to do an overlay image representing the places I shoot from and post it so, as to give a general idea of direction? This might work out ok? (my only concern is that the loading times for GE on dial-up are not kind but should be useable once the cache has loaded?)

I'll try and post some sort of an example here soon, see how it works out? :)

Cheers,
Shauno 
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2007, 01:13:52 PM »
Yep the G-earth is quite good but as you say it will depend on where one is but it would make an interesting subject to talk about further.  I will have to get my head down into some areas up here and make up a G-earth thing also..always nice to see where people are when they chase in different states - thsi land is pretty vast!
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2008, 03:34:21 PM »
I would have to say my fav storm spotting point is from the back deck at home looking  N to NE - get some good cloud structures here when severe storms hit the NE ranges. Also, when i was country taxi driving, I found the Gembrook Rd in Gembrook, just beyond the clearing before the township was a great vantage point for Storms from the W, and heading either NE or SE - the lightning view is very spectacular.

And Mt Dandenong's Sky High Restaurant lookout is one of the best viewing platforms for W Melb and storms coming from SW, W, and NW Vic towards the east. Wish I had taken some of the Dec 04 storms' CG pics. Would have been xclnt viewing for all.

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2008, 05:07:55 PM »
I loved home at Gosford up until 5 years ago. About 270 degree views, best ones from SE to W which gave great views of approaching storms.

Here is a bit more limited, I need to spot out some local lookouts I can use when things are coming up, or even down by the Parramatta river (under the ferry shelter) could be good for ones coming up from the S/SW.

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2008, 06:07:43 PM »
Hi Gang,

some spots around Sydney area.....

1)  the jetty at the end of my street, Wharf Rd, West Ryde   great view  SE, through S, through W to NW

2)  The roof  carpark of the shopping centre at Rhodes  180 deg view  S through W to N

3) Sth side of Thompsons Corner, Dural area  there are several spots with a dropoff escarpment  that give
       a good view  W to NW

4)  The roof  carpark of the castle towers shopping centre at Castle Hill  180 deg view  S through W to N
         you are hi up and fantastic view to west

5)  a newly discovered one last sunday ....  if ur in the lower Blue Mts,  a great 360 view from the foot-
        bridge across the main rd from the shops to the railway station at Blaxland.

probably a couple I have forgotten    will add if they come to mind

cheers
   Dave N