Author Topic: Severe pulse storms convergence line - January 27th 2006  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Severe pulse storms convergence line - January 27th 2006
« on: 29 January 2006, 03:38:19 AM »
Hi guys,

After considering the possibility of storms around the Lithgow region I felt it was worth a little chase given the close proximity of Lithgow - one and a half hours drive. I initially tried to head off to see if iolated activity could develop near Capertee but this activity died and never seemed to redevelop.

Nearing Lithgow, I noted that dew points were on the rise and the cumulus field healthier. I had the western view of the storm complex that began near Blackheath. I remained near Lithgow as I anticipated the storm complex would backbuild. Out of the whole storm system of cells to the south near Oberon and the storms near Bathurst, this developed a particularly lowered base - a nice convergence line and locally high dew points - 19C at Lithgow! I have seen such lines develop before and the result is often spectacular.

The storm around Blackheath/Mt Victoria was reasonably active but the anvil was not that extensive. Then the line of activity exploded around Lithgow. The rainfall was very heavy with some hail reported within the core in a few places - the best being just east of Mt Lambie. I would estimate about maximum 1cm. Rainfall was that intense that cars were parked on the side of the road - I had free flow except for the trucks.

This complex extended from Lithgow to Mt Lambie. It remained active though not as extensive by the time I got to Portland. The lightning activity as Ben suggested was reasonably frequent and nice booms of thunder - most lightning though was within the core. Near Wallerawang, I saw a cloud to ground hit something that caused a bright spark effect not sure what it hit but it seemed something electical - a bright blue spark. There were other not seen close encounters - some bolts also pulsed probably half a second in length.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 29 January 2006, 04:30:10 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

australiasevereweather

Re: Severe pulse storms convergence line - January 27th 2006
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2006, 02:45:52 PM »
Hi,

Here are a few photographs from the event:

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara