Author Topic: NSW / S QLD Severe Storms: 28 - 31 Oct 2007  (Read 42921 times)

shanesmp

Re: NSW / S QLD Severe Storms: 28 - 31 Oct 2007
« Reply #30 on: 01 November 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
Good evening everyone

Back from a long 2000km cruise up the coast inbetween HSC examinations, to Lismore and beyond. I know it may have been a mediocre storm but sure did I enjoy catching up with Rodney, Michael and Jimmy. The lowering under the base with the occasional CG whilst it continued to put up fresh pulses was enjoyable. Out of nowhere in the space of about 5mins it decided to collapse, updrafts lost the upward drive and we were left with a lonely anvil with the odd spot of rain (How terribly exciting) ahh well. Thanks again to Jimmy for helping me out with that eftpos issue, I'll be handing you $5 when I catch you out there one day this season and the insightful conversations between us (I do mean that). Also to Rodney for the wonderful accomodation and chase in Buffy (The tough old Rav4, wonderful handling I must say ;) ). I wont be posting any pics just yet as I have not got my computer with me (Its currently at a friends place being carefully looked after whilst i finish the HSC), although luckily I have this computer (Which i rarely use, only sis does because its painfully slow).

Even though it wasn't overly successful I developed an extensive knowledge of the beautiful chase region of NE NSW, must I say I am jealous, you fellas are very lucky.

RE: MichaelB's post

Yes those white/grey patches are quite often anvils, the radar displays them as white because of the very light 'virga' rain that falls from them (Evaporating before it reaches the ground) Quite often due to reaching a warmer layer.  This is annoying when chasing if its reaching the ground because it gets in the way of photography especially in SW upper flow (especially when you want the north side of the storm).

Hope this help. If other people want to ellaborate go for it.

Shane

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #31 on: 01 November 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
Shane,

You are welcome but don't worry about repaying - it was on the house. After all I ate half your chips if you had noticed. I can be very sneaky.

Pity the storm, did not explode like the storm new Inverell yesterday. I headed out today passed Inverell and photographed the leaf litter from what was most likely hail up to golf ball size to the west of the town but some leaf litter in town. Hail in town was thumbnail size or thereabouts.

I ended up chasing north of Warialda. There were some lightning active severe storms tapping into the high CAPE air though the shear was not able to sustain the storms for long enough. About 30km S of North Star, I filmed timelapse as well as pulsing lightning activity - just standard disorganised activity. Some daytime bolts to add to the collection.

However, it was north of North Star that I filmed and photographed a very high contrast and more organised high precipitation storm. I thought it had some possibilities of being supercellular in behaviour but nevertheless it quickly became outflow dominant. Nice timelapse though.

I will post pictures soon.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 02 November 2007, 04:01:23 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

MichaelB

« Reply #32 on: 01 November 2007, 03:16:45 PM »
RE: MichaelB's post

Yes those white/grey patches are quite often anvils, the radar displays them as white because of the very light 'virga' rain that falls from them (Evaporating before it reaches the ground) Quite often due to reaching a warmer layer.  This is annoying when chasing if its reaching the ground because it gets in the way of photography especially in SW upper flow (especially when you want the north side of the storm).

Hope this help. If other people want to ellaborate go for it.

Shane

Sounds like you had fun Shane.

Thanks for the reply. I sort of assumed something similar to what you said with looking at the sky and looking at bom.

So would it be fair to say that a storm's cloud footprint might look like what I have attached?

MichaelB

« Reply #33 on: 01 November 2007, 03:32:27 PM »
Well those things that formed this arvo are just sitting there and have become this.

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #34 on: 01 November 2007, 03:53:23 PM »
These storms can't come quick enough! It's stinkin hot here right now im contiplating going for a swim before the storms get here, got some nice lightning activity to the west of us no thunder yet so still a distance away. Hopefull i will have some nice pics to post up tonight or tomorrow! Interesting that we have been on and off and on severe storm warnings for the duration of the afternoon and evening and only now we are seeing stuff i think i counted 8 severe cells headed for brisbane-coolangatta hopefully one makes it here alive and full of good photo opportunities!
Karina
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #35 on: 02 November 2007, 03:42:17 AM »
Hi,

With my report listed above, I thought I would post the photographs from the event. Thanks go to Michael who has provided assistance as per usual in getting it online and so efficiently.

http://www.australiasevereweather.com/photography/photos/2007/jd20071031.html

Quite a few daytime bolts around of which I captured a handful... The green coloration was very inviting as well as the contrast this position offered

My favourites

There is some timelapse of this stage - perhaps 5 minutes - it began to rain and the downburst or microburst was imminent.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 02 November 2007, 03:56:45 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #36 on: 06 November 2007, 05:20:26 AM »
Tuesday 30th October 2007

Late breaking isolated activity southwest of Kyogle. Chased with Jimmy Deguara and met up with Rodney Wallbridge and Shane Watson. This storm got its act together briefly with one particularly powerful updraft pulse, but was one of the fastest I've ever seen with its dissipation!  Had a lovely sunset mammatus filled anvil.

Gallery here

Wednesday 31st October 2007

Widespread development across the region but the sky soon became cluttered by mid afternoon. The first photo is of the storm which impacted on Tabulam and Bonalbo early afternoon. Damaging winds, flash flooding (76mm at Bonalbo) and a lot of hail to 3cm fell from that storm.

Gallery here
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #37 on: 11 November 2007, 06:24:53 AM »
Good stuff Michael!

Few pics of mine from the 28th October here. I was lucky enough to fly from Melbourne to Brisbane this day and scored a nice supercell over NE VIC from the plane. I then also flew under the anvil of a storm over NE NSW before getting home to my place in inner Brisbane to watch the 4 hour lightning show unfold.

Pics from the flight here...

http://macca.bsch.au.com/gallery2/v/Chase-Season-07-08/28-10-07/

Macca

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #38 on: 11 November 2007, 07:21:52 AM »
Hi Macca,

I recall seeing that particular cell and then you suggested to me it was a supercell. It was moving at some rate of knots. Do you know what severe weather was reported with this event?

Very nice view of the storm by the way and overshoot! For how long did the overshoot last whilst you were photographing?

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Macca

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #39 on: 11 November 2007, 03:33:48 PM »
Hey Jimmy,

It certainly was an awesome storm!!  The BoM recieved reports of golf ball sized hail from this storm and I think there was some wind damage as well (not surprising given the shear).  The cell maintained almost an identical structure from the moment I saw it to the time when I lost sight of it - probably around 30 minutes.  I was quite impressed by the ability of the storm to "stand up" to the shear on this day.  I wish I'd been able to see what it looked like from the ground (if I'd been able to keep up with it).

Macca