Author Topic: Giant hail South Dakota, USA: 21 August 2007  (Read 16954 times)

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
RE: Giant hail South Dakota, USA: 21 August 2007
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2007, 01:12:08 PM »
Hi guys,

I have access to the very video of the storm that produced the monster hailstones at Kempsey - measuring 4.5inches in my estimation - obviously the isolated larger hailstone would have fallen at some point and apparently it fell at the Kemspey Golf Course. Although they were not suggestive of 14cm hailstones, this is a record and has been kept in the database. My friend who supplied me with the hail video suggested he recalled a news paper article of a monster hailstone larger than the ones in the video! Please understand that when measured, they use the longest length as the official size even if it is pointy/jagged which is usually the case with these monsters. A weight measurement is also taken!

And by the way, I have been met with opposition in terms of placing this video online so I can only show personally.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline enak_12

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2007, 01:29:12 PM »
Ah thanks Jimmy very interesting. Shame about the video. I wonder if he newspaper has an archive with the picture?

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2007, 01:57:35 PM »
Enak,

I have just found located that video on CD - goodness - some monsters on there. If there ever is a video night, I have no problems of showing it. I would not be surprised if 5 inch stuff fell in this storm although quite a few 4 to 4.5 inch hailstones lay on the lawn.

Sorry about not being able to show it online. I asked for the contact details of the people who own the video and I have also asked for my friend to ask them if I could place it online and all proceeds of sales go to them. Unfortunately, the video was given to me because I was interested in storm chasing and that's the extent of it. I know however, if it ever gets on the internet, I would lose control of it through copying and I would have dishonered my commitment. Very few have seen this fantastic clip. Someone want to organise a video night? This is one of those videos you can see 10 times and not get sick of it because you note something different.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #18 on: 26 August 2007, 02:37:21 AM »
Hi Enak,

Yes they had melted a bit - there was torrential rain for a good 10 minutes before I was able to go and collect some of the stones. I think the ones in the photos were about 7cm diameter. The storm hit South Kempsey area about 3.30pm. There was another lot of smaller hail from a second thunderstorm at 4.15pm.    btw - I just happened to be there during a trip from Sydney to Ballina.

Jimmy - goes to show I have still not seen that video!   How about showing a couple of stills?

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline enak_12

• Elephant Trunk F2
Re: Giant hail South Dakota, USA: 21 August 2007
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2007, 11:38:50 AM »
Wow an even bigger hailstone was measured from the Dante SD event. Just short of the national record.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/?n=hail2007aug21_dante

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
Re: Giant hail South Dakota, USA: 21 August 2007
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2007, 12:43:19 PM »
Thanks for that Enak,

I was told by Macca that there was the possibility of a very large 6 inch hailstone being investigated - there you go.

You know, I recall someone mentioning in the past that the so called 6 to 8 inch hailstones mentioned in the archives of the US databases were typical American exaggeration. I think although there may be some inaccuracies, these sort of hailstone measurements back up at least in part the earlier claims. By the way, there was a hailstone measured in Missouri in the order of 6 inches in 2004 from a violent tornadic supercell there. So 2003, 2004, 2007 - not that in frequent in my opinion.

Further to this conversation - I note now that there are two distinct hailstones above the 6 inch category. A similar thing happened when the Aurora hailstone was discovered - it superceded the one found by another person.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 03 September 2007, 04:30:36 PM by Jimmy Deguara »

www.thunderbolttours.com