Author Topic: Storms approaching for The USA Great Lakes Surfing clubs.  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Storms approaching for The USA Great Lakes Surfing clubs.
« on: 29 September 2009, 02:21:36 AM »
Some time ago I watched a awesome surf DVD called "Step Into Liquid" produced by Dana Brown with the help of his dad Bruce Brown.  ( Bruce Brown is famous for Endless Summer I & II and other great epics.)

In the doco of Step into Liquid it had the Great Lakes Surfing members who would surf the lakes, mainly during the winter times, and have an absolute ball, or correct term "fully stoked". One member commented in what I thought was a polite funny sarcastic really laid back way, " Ohh, on a great day it gets as big as Waimea (O'ahu", Hawaii,). {Mind you it is not unusual to see blokes towed into 40 -50 feet monsters during their storms,}

Well according to Accu weather reports there is a powerful Storm system that will push eastwards across the Great Lakes.
 The winds will hit mainly over the open waters of the lakes and create waves up to 15 feet in Lake Michigan and Lake Erie and up to 20 feet on parts of Lake superior.

Maybe this dude wasn't joking, it is pretty messy at that height but I will be watching for U tube footage just as the surfers will be watching the lakes for the right opportunity. Its worth google-ing and watching Utube of the history , storms and surfing in the area.

Storm map coutersy of ACCU Weather.

U tube of surfing Lake superior 2008          Spring surfing in Minnesota

Cheers

Col
« Last Edit: 29 September 2009, 04:23:04 AM by Colin Maitland »

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: Storms approaching for The USA Great Lakes Surfing clubs.
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2009, 10:06:01 AM »
The cold air from the storms over the midwest and Great Lakes Area of USA may just be cold enough to bring a few snow flakes with it for the first time this season in the Northern parts of Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin.

The height for waves on Lake Superior is now estimated to hit 25 feet. Some different news reports are calling it the 'Fresh water fury". It is just astounding to realise this is not the open ocean we are talking about but inland lakes.

The following is a Utube of Lake Superior on Monday the 28th September 2009, the wind is peaking at 50 Mp/h and I don't know what the wind chill factor would be.              Lake Superior Surfing

or original   http://www.videowired.com/watch/?id=3434739680[/url]

Just to give you an idea how keen these blokes are I have posted this photo courtesy of   http://lakesuperiorsurfing.blogspot.com/
I understand the  photo to be around 2006.  I wont complain about an early morning 3C surf with water temps around 16C ever again. I promise :)

Enjoy

Col