Author Topic: Camera platform for car  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Camera platform for car
« on: 31 July 2007, 11:31:16 AM »
what else does one do on the first day of annual leave besides housework?  Make oneself a camera platform for the pending storm season!

It's pretty 'crude' but in half an hour and less than $10 in materials and $28 for the mini tripod I've got the tool and safety aspect included.  I'm quite okay with standing out in the middle of nowhere shooting photographs, but with a couple of close bolts last year I decided to make this up so I can be safe from the mozzies and the lightning!

I was going to include a telescopic arm to move it up and down, but thought the mini tripod would do just fine thank you.  At least I have the same mobility in adjusting the camera up/down, sideways as if on a large tripod.

here's a few shots of my efforts.  With the lack of tools that I own it turned out a treat!

It sits within the window box of the door and there's padding to stop it scratching the window.  If i have the window up i can rest it between the door trim and window inside.

Mike
« Last Edit: 31 July 2007, 11:53:29 AM by Mike »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Camera platform for car
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2007, 11:59:10 AM »
Mike,

Nice idea and design as it allows a person to remain in the vehicle during lightning strikes and I guess specifically usefuly when photographing lightning - keep the mosquitoes from getting to you:)

I wonder if there is a version that can somehow protect the camera with rain falling or in outflow dominant storms which most of the time is our problem in this country.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: Camera platform for car
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2007, 12:30:47 PM »
I did think of that, Jimmy.  With the strong outflow that we get with the storms up here i hate it when you have to run for cover.  It's not so much the wind, it's the rain - lens' don't like it - you could make a shroud over the top to 'umbrella' the lens which i have thought about often.  You'd make it just like a half box with an extended roof so that any drops that fall would not interfere with the lens.  I guess like a hood type thing and it would not have to be metal either, nylon fabric would do fine.  Perhaps i should pinch the wife's 'net' for her outside dishes!

I'm confident my device will work as others have made, but the safety aspect is covered which is more important in this case.  The only question is; if my car gets a direct strike will the camera fry! :)

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14