Author Topic: Feedback and changes on the forum  (Read 15986 times)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
Feedback and changes on the forum
« on: 09 February 2008, 04:27:46 PM »
I think this is in the right area as it is a comment about the forum. If anything it is an annoyance - no not against anyone or any topic.

What annoys me a little bit is the news area on the front page of the forum above the listing of topic sections. Only because it cycles through a couple of different messages, the window it is in changes size all of a sudden as I am about to click on a topic it has moved and the mouse clicks on the wrong one. Is it possible to get the size of the window locked so this doesn't happen? Even if just by padding out the shorter messages it scrolls through with a couple of carriage returns on the end?

Could be my end using Firefox rather than IE exacerbating the problem, don't know. Otherwise I love everything here!

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
RE: Feedback and changes on the forum
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2008, 04:42:18 PM »
Richary,

You are so correct and I have now disabled the fader. It was meant to liven the news section but it is annoying as well.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
RE: Feedback and changes on the forum
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
Richary,

You are so correct and I have now disabled the fader. It was meant to liven the news section but it is annoying as well.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Thanks Jimmy. I got the effect and liked it, apart from the resizing when I scrolled down to see what was new.

Now I just have to work out why when I hit reply I get all these texts above that are obviously supposed to be different smilies. They have text that says things like Cheesy, Grin, Angry etc but the rest of the line is taken up with little question marks in diamond shaped boxes.

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
Re: Feedback and changes on the forum
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Jimmy, could you perhaps consider changing the skin of the forum style? I am not fond of it Jimmy - liven it up.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2008, 01:54:20 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2008, 01:58:38 AM »
Steven,

Tampering with the colours and templates are possible but once this is done, my understanding is that you have to keep the template information and change again each time an update occurs on the forum. Some of the additional features also do not work on non-default themes.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
Jimmy,

I think I know what you mean, but that applies only if you are tinkering with the default theme and templates, but you shouldn't as you are supposed to create another theme set, set it as the default theme for everyone else to view and modify that one leaving the default theme and template set unaffected. When upgrading the only thing to worry about is backing up your custom theme, that's all.

To my understanding this is the way to go without worrying it will do any damage to anything else, this is why SMF offers dozens of themes out there because they do not use the default template and theme, they use their own usually based off the default and therefore do not have anything in conjunction with the default theme and template set.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2008, 02:28:03 PM »
Great. If anyone has the time to deal with the templates that match the website as well as ensure the features we have implemented are not affected, feel free. I always liked to have the theme changed and so did Michael - even have pictures thrown in. I was awaiting the new version which should come out at some stage.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

www.thunderbolttours.com

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2008, 02:37:49 PM »
I'll see what I can do Jimmy.

I found a couple of themes online that can easily be modifiable than most others, I'll let you know.