Author Topic: Winter Extremes 2009  (Read 10993 times)

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
Re: Winter Extremes 2009
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2009, 11:20:06 AM »
Brett Dutschke from Weather Zone news stated that Melbourne is on target to achieve its fourth warmest July on record, with minimum and maximum temperatures about two degrees above the long-term average. Minimums are averaging more than eight degrees and maximums more than 15, compared to the long-term of six and 13.4 degrees. The last few days will be equally warm, making this the warmest July in four years and fourth warmest on record. In 2005, the average July temperature, combining minimums and maximums, was 11.8. The warmest July was in 1975 when the average was 12 degrees.

Offline Antonio (stormboy)

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2009, 10:58:25 AM »
Well winter is most certainly being felt this year isn’t it? Looking at the weather observations on weather zone Armidale reached right down to -6.4 this morning and Inverell reached -5.7. Forecast for both Armidale and Inverell for Mondays minimums show -2 but getting cold again by Tuesday with -4 in the forecast. When I went to Wollongbar tafe on Thursday morning there was a slight frost on the ground and when I got there at 7ish the thermometer showed 3C.

Storm boy.

Offline Colin Maitland

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2009, 11:35:41 AM »
As Tasmania is bearing the brunt of bad weather over the last few days from a high to the south of them, they have high winds, rain and snow to contend with, here in Brisbane the forecast for the next week from BOM is

Forecast for Monday
Fine. Light winds and an afternoon seabreeze.                              

Precis:       Fine                              
City:         Min  8    Max 23
Bayside:      Min  7    Max 22
UV Alert:     9:50 am to 1:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 5 [Moderate]

Tuesday       Fine                                   Min  9    Max 23
Wednesday     Fine                                   Min  8    Max 23
Thursday      Fine                                   Min  8    Max 23
Friday        Fine                                   Min  9    Max 23
Saturday      Fine                                   Min 10    Max 22
Sunday        Fine                                   Min 10    Max 23

All last week it was much the same scenario. Cool mornings around 8C and mild days 22C. It is like spring has arrived a month early. I know we will have a few cold days here and there, but what started out to be a cold/ cool winter in Brisbane, seems to have nearly passed, know its looking like another long hot summer.  

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2009, 11:40:21 AM »
Well as far as the Ballina region goes I must say not too bad for about 3 days it has been very low 4C and it looks like tonight will be another cold one but then looks like it will warm up by mid week.

Storm boy.

• Stove pipe F3
« Reply #19 on: 11 August 2009, 09:23:03 AM »
Well once again a cold snap has come to the Armidale area with -6.1 on Saturday and a whooping -7 on Sunday. Monday was cool as well with -4.7 the minimum and tomorrow shows -4 for the minimum. But I do guess this will end up slowly fading away now as very soon we welcome spring. Also today was a very nice and warm day here.

storm boy